Next Season Practices | The Boneyard

Next Season Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Question 1: how will being two bodies down [ok maybe just one] affect our practices?
Question 2; with Doty being around, would she be eligible to practice with the team?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If Sue Bird, Kalana Green and others can practice with the team Doty could.

Reaction Score
If Sue Bird, Kalana Green and others can practice with the team Doty could.
I think it could really help the team. It would be a great sacrifice for Caroline though, not to mention risk of injury.
Like many I held my breath all year hoping she could dodge another knee blow-out.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I think it could really help the team. It would be a great sacrifice for Caroline though, not to mention risk of injury.
Like many I held my breath all year hoping she could dodge another knee blow-out.

FWIW...my own hope for Caroline, especially if it is hers, is for new life experiences at/in new places. Just my take...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think not much of a sacrifice for her - after reading how she will ALWAYS have a basketball in her hand and searching out rec leagues to find games. And it would certainly be a benefit for both Mo and Chong (and Hartley) to have her around. Time wise Geno would likely cut her some slack, but considering she has spent her whole life in a gym, I doubt that she would be far away from the sports complex whether she is practicing with the team or not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FWIW...my own hope for Caroline, especially if it is hers, is for new life experiences at/in new places. Just my take...
Sounds like she is sticking in Storrs for her second year of grad school to finish her masters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Question 1: how will being two bodies down [ok maybe just one] affect our practices?
Question 2; with Doty being around, would she be eligible to practice with the team?
Bodies down next season? Are you referring to potential injuries or the net effect of kids who graduated (3 - Doty, Faris, Buck) vs. the # of kids coming in/back (3 - Chong, Pope, Banks)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
no, but not at a high D1 level
She will never 'play basketball at high D1 level' again - no more eligibility! Practice is a very different beast from actual games, and given the standards on playgrounds and in rec leagues, a much safer way to continue 'playing'.
It sounds like she will be on campus next year finishing her masters degree and I would not be at all surprised if she ends up being a graduate assistant in the athletic department in some capacity, getting relief from tuition costs and or course credit. If that involved being involved with the team and possibly strapping the sneakers on again for practices, I think she would jump at the chance.

Reaction Score
She will never 'play basketball at high D1 level' again - no more eligibility! Practice is a very different beast from actual games, and given the standards on playgrounds and in rec leagues, a much safer way to continue 'playing'.
It sounds like she will be on campus next year finishing her masters degree and I would not be at all surprised if she ends up being a graduate assistant in the athletic department in some capacity, getting relief from tuition costs and or course credit. If that involved being involved with the team and possibly strapping the sneakers on again for practices, I think she would jump at the chance.

"Practice is very different beast from actual games " , this is true, most good teams practice is more physical. I doubt Geno wants his practice players going half speed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Plus, ACL injuries are very often non-contact. If she is interested in avoiding any chance of an ACL, simply avoiding contact isn't the ticket.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Practice is very different beast from actual games " , this is true, most good teams practice is more physical. I doubt Geno wants his practice players going half speed.
No - but hard fouls against teammates don't typically happen in practice, and going hard and making practices 'harder' than games is a different thing from intentional and unintentional awkward fouls in games - lots of injuries to guards occur at or around the rim when they get bumped on lay-ups at the end of offensive failures at the other end. Those plays usually are unchallenged in practice because the team has already failed at the other end.

Reaction Score
Bodies down next season? Are you referring to potential injuries or the net effect of kids who graduated (3 - Doty, Faris, Buck) vs. the # of kids coming in/back (3 - Chong, Pope, Banks)
Net effect, down 2; 1 if Pope is on the team. I didn't count Banks because she was and will be here.

HGN

Reaction Score
Eric , who is Pope ?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric , who is Pope ?
Becca Pope - walk on guard. She would have been on team this year but injured herself. IIRC she hung out at practices and I believe will be a full performing member next season - like Fernandez was years past...

HGN

Reaction Score
Becca Pope - walk on guard. She would have been on team this year but injured herself. IIRC she hung out at practices and I believe will be a full performing member next season - like Fernandez was years past...
Thanks.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
We think we can slide the new Pope onto the team to strengthen our intimidation factor against ND. Where do you think the name Francis came from some Aquinian scholastic.
Sadly, UConn may not play ND even one time next year.
Final four may be the only possible scenario and that depends upon the brackets lining up and both teams playing up to their capability.

Reaction Score
No - but hard fouls against teammates don't typically happen in practice, and going hard and making practices 'harder' than games is a different thing from intentional and unintentional awkward fouls in games - lots of injuries to guards occur at or around the rim when they get bumped on lay-ups at the end of offensive failures at the other end. Those plays usually are unchallenged in practice because the team has already failed at the other end.

But as Phil pointed out, the great majority of women's ACL injuries are non-contact. Over 90%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom