Next Season’s Rotation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next Season’s Rotation

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
You don't see Clingan logging as many minutes as Sanogo?

How many minutes do you expect Clingan gets?
i just worry about foul trouble/stamina/body control
nothing to do with his ability ... more because he seems a bit of a spaz (in a good way)

Reaction Score
Karaban and Newton were both close to 30 last year so it's possible, and when the rotation gets cut come tournament time I can see it. I just think they played a lot of minutes last year because we didn't have a reliable backup PG or PF to give them much rest.

I don't see any way Ball gets less than 20 minutes though, he's getting overshadowed by Castle but he's one of the best recruits we've ever gotten. He's going to a really good player
I agree Ball is going to be very good, but the backcourt is just kind of logjammed with talent and experience. 20 mins is a lot with Newton, Spencer, Castle and Diarra there.

Reaction Score
I agree Ball is going to be very good, but the backcourt is just kind of logjammed with talent and experience. 20 mins is a lot with Newton, Spencer, Castle and Diarra there.
I expect him to be well ahead of Diarra for minutes, and there's 120 minutes to go around so I still see plenty of opportunity there

Reaction Score
DH has thrown out the challenge to DC to improve his conditioning/stamina so that he can maintain his efficiency while on the court.. He'll work hard on SnC/conditioning this off-season/summer and put himself in that position.. He's a smart young man. Could easily see him matching Sanogo's minutes of last year and be highly effective/fresh.. Just gotta get production out of Samson/Singare in the minutes they earn as backups/foul trouble situations.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe. Diarra will play because I'm not sure any of our 3 perimeter starters will be able to adequately contain certain PGs, and you can't play good team defense if you can't contain the opponents point. There will be games where Diarra will play more than many would like to see in order to do this. Frankly, while it would be great if he shoots better, I'd be just as happy if he shot less. But I think we will need him more than some think.

I'll agree his mean, median and mode averages will be divergent. He'll have a baseline mpg around 10-12 minutes and situationally he might bump up to close to 20.

Reaction Score
I expect him to be well ahead of Diarra for minutes, and there's 120 minutes to go around so I still see plenty of opportunity there
If i’m to guess specifically, i’d say:

Newton: 30 mpg
Spencer: 28 mpg
Castle: 26 mpg
Diarra: 11 mpg
Ross: 10 mpg
Ball: 15 mpg

Obviously variance will occur, but Newton and Spencer will most likely be in to end games/halves, so that’s why I think they play big mins. Diarra’s mins will fluctuate but he’s the only returner that has good-very good half court defense, so he will likely be relied upon.

Reaction Score
Just rewatching some highlights where he never misses and noticed he has a nice high release on his shot, gets it off quick, plus fadeaways inside the line when covered. Clingan and others are going to get a lot flushes from him, great creator and passer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You don't see Clingan logging as many minutes as Sanogo?

How many minutes do you expect Clingan gets?
Sanogo had 29 as a Sophomore and 27 last year (rounding). I would guess about 24 for Clingan. There will be games when he has foul issues and I think 30 minutes is more than guys that size can play effectively.

Reaction Score
Sanogo had 29 as a Sophomore and 27 last year (rounding). I would guess about 24 for Clingan. There will be games when he has foul issues and I think 30 minutes is more than guys that size can play effectively.
I think 28-30 is where he’s at. We don’t have the luxury of having 2 all league bigs this upcoming year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think 28-30 is where he’s at. We don’t have the luxury of having 2 all league bigs this upcoming year.
We will find out. It's not an ability thing. It's fouls and conditioning/stamina at his size. If he can play more, fine with me, but averaging 24-25 is 11 minutes more than last year and more than his single game max of 21.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think Ball and Ross will be impactful and find their way onto the court in solid roles. My concern is at center against the best teams when Clingan is out. I think both Johnson and Singare have it in them to succeed, but the coaches are going to earn their money making it happen. They each can be huge rim protectors and rim runners as strengths, but holding position in the post, not fouling, being in the right spots, and basketball IQ, I suspect not so much. They don't need to score other than finish at the rim. Johnson may be able to open the lane as an outside threat, Singare was an awful foul shooter which needs to be addressed, (missed 11 or 13 in a row at one point in EYBL). Whatever the number, it wasn't a strength. If the coaches can get one of these guys to hold the fort, we will be in the mix for #6.
I am hoping Sam can stay healthy for the year as that in my mind is the potential impact variable

Reaction Score
i'd be shocked if clingan averages over 25 mpg next year. it'll be very nice to see him get to play more than 25 minutes in some games, but as a whole i think expecting anything over that is a little much. hope samson looks good and stays healthy. not a lot of meat behind clingan should he pick up some first half fouls

Reaction Score
My predication.

Starters:
Castle, Newton, Spencer, Karaban, and Clingan

Bench to start the season:
Diarra, Ball, Ross, Stewart, Johnson

3 man bench end of season rotation:
Ball, Ross, Johnson

Going with Ross over Stewart based on his defensive highlights and ability to play off ball.

We have A LOT of options to go in for the direction want to play with Samson being the wildcard. If he can start tapping in on that NBA potential he gives lineups a lot of versatility.
I would like to also see Singare see some minutes because it makes us have very formibable group at center that includes 7'2" Clingan along with 7'0" Singare and of course 6'10" Johnson.

Reaction Score
I think we'll see Newton, Spencer, and Castle as the starting 1-3 but be somewhat positionless. At the 6-8 minute mark, we'll see a rotation develop that keeps 2 of those three on the court at all times in competitive games and all three back on at the end. All of this depends on Castle being the guy we hope/expect.

If there is a jitterbug PG that these just guys can't keep in front of them, we'll see an extra dose of Diarra.

Karaban and Clingan will take most of the 4 & 5 minutes with Johnson, Stewart, and a smattering of Singare as needed.

Minutes - Newton(28), Spencer(28), Castle(22), Ball(20), Diarra(18), Ross(8), Karaban(30), Stewart(6), Clingan(25), Johnson(15).

Reaction Score
Hurley said he'd like 26-28 but who's counting. :)

“Donovan’s not going to be able to be a 32 to 34 minutes a game player, nor do we want him to be,” Hurley said. “We want Donovan to be able to be in that 26-to-28-minute range I think in a perfect world and there’s gonna be more frontcourt minutes there.”

Reaction Score
I know we’re talking about minutes, but I think it’s likely we’ll have 4 starters average double figures and there’s an outside chance all 5 could average 10 PPG. It looks like an extremely balanced starting 5.

One of the strengths of last year’s team was that even if one or two players had off nights, there were others to pick the team up. At times we could get a little too dependent on AS and JH, and they will be hugely missed, but those look like five legit scoring options. Should make for a beautiful offense based on what we saw last year.

Reaction Score
I think the starters are set, as everyone has said. Agree with @husky429 that Castle probably draws the 3 on defense. Newton could take 1 or 2. I think that's matchup driven, the PG or SG could be the more athletic player. Diarra would usually have the quickest guard when he's in.

Bench, I think Johnson gets the most minutes overall at 4-5. I don't see Donovan logging as many minutes as Sanogo did. I think it's a battle on the wings between Ball, Ross & Stewart. One of them will emerge to be the primary backup 2-3. Diarra the main backup PG, but Castle could play there too, with Cam & a freshman. Roumoglou is a big question mark, but I wouldn't rule him out at the SF spot. I expect Singare to play sparingly, mostly early in the season.
Castle is starting at PG with Newton playing off the ball as he is a better shooter and it will also allow him to drive without having to create offense for others.

Reaction Score
I think we'll see Newton, Spencer, and Castle as the starting 1-3 but be somewhat positionless. At the 6-8 minute mark, we'll see a rotation develop that keeps 2 of those three on the court at all times in competitive games and all three back on at the end. All of this depends on Castle being the guy we hope/expect.

If there is a jitterbug PG that these just guys can't keep in front of them, we'll see an extra dose of Diarra.

Karaban and Clingan will take most of the 4 & 5 minutes with Johnson, Stewart, and a smattering of Singare as needed.

Minutes - Newton(28), Spencer(28), Castle(22), Ball(20), Diarra(18), Ross(8), Karaban(30), Stewart(6), Clingan(25), Johnson(15).
I think we could see Ball help out here too defensively, he has the athletic abiliity to do so, especially if Diarra has trouble scoring and handling the ball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Castle is starting at PG with Newton playing off the ball as he is a better shooter and it will also allow him to drive without having to create offense for others.
It doesn’t really matter in our offense. They will both be facilitators at all times. There is no PG.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
It doesn’t really matter in our offense. They will both be facilitators at all times. There is no PG.
Agreed. Castle likely to be the designated point guard, but Newton and Spencer will do a lot of facilitating from the perimeter as well. Ball movement should be exciting to watch with Clingan and Karaban being great passers too. I’ll be looking for next season’s team to break last year’s assisted buckets per game number.

Reaction Score
I think we could see Ball help out here too defensively, he has the athletic abiliity to do so, especially if Diarra has trouble scoring and handling the ball.
Agree absolutely. Diarra, last year, was a 19% 3-point shooter, a 30% overall shooter and a 50% free throw shooter, worst on the team in every category. He was worse at the FT line than Clingan. As a ball-handler he turned the ball over at a greater rate per minutes played than anyone except Newton. Diarra needs to improve in every offensive cartegory. He might otherwise be too great a liability on offense to risk his presence on the floor. To pencil him in for even 11 minutes is to highlight how desperate the need for defensive quickness may become. That is indeed where Ball could help -- or where Castle and Spencer must surprise..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom