Next Season’s Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next Season’s Roster

Reaction Score
Yeah. I dont understand what some of the people on here are smoking because you dont bring in a top 30 player to not contribute his first season. I fully expect DC to make an impact early on and get heavy minutes by January. Backing up Sanogo would be awesome. Have the beast destroying and then bring in a 7 foot 250lbs high skilled big? Thats a problem for any team to contend with.
Didn’t say he wouldn’t contribute. He will struggle with strength and speed of the game though like most freshman do. He will backup Sanogo for sure.

Reaction Score
Does this sound like a bench player? Clingan from his coach:

“I just think, to me, and I could be a little biased, he’s the best true center in the class," Chatman said. "Unfortunately, because the game is played from the outside in now, it’s more of a wing and guard-oriented game. Everybody wants to shoot a three and everybody wants to characterize stretch fours and stretch fives. This is a kid that can make a three. When you’re talking about back to the basket, again, I don’t think there’s anybody else in the class (better). We play pretty much everyone in the country at this point with a top-5, top-10 center. Nobody has the skill set that he does. He’s an elite passer, not just a good passer, an elite passer. His hands are probably up there with some of the best hands that I’ve ever coached in terms of getting balls in and out of his area. Whether it’s a rebound or an errant pass.”

"I would say the most improvement he’s made to his game is just his strength and athleticism over the last year. He was growing at such a fast rate that he was trying to catch up to his body. Now, he’s caught up to his body and it definitely shows in his game."
There's been way too many Clingan threads so I can't find it now, but I think there was an interview with Bill Clingan where he implied that they were aware the BCHS over prep decision might lead to less playing time his freshman year while he adjusts and they were on board. He'll definitely get minutes but I'm not expecting a huge freshman year from him

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Who knows but I imagine Diggins expects to be starting PG next year and then Castle coming the following year. I love Cole but let's see how this season plays out.
If diggins can’t get off the bench right now in the midst of having no ball handling depth for 6 spot minutes even, it’s hard to think he will be ready to run this team as a primary next season. Although maybe Hurley has given gaff an extra long leash because of his shooting before Atlantis. I guess we will find out in next 6 weeks. If diggings is still buried in mid January I can’t see him being primary next year.

Reaction Score
There's been way too many Clingan threads so I can't find it now, but I think there was an interview with Bill Clingan where he implied that they were aware the BCHS over prep decision might lead to less playing time his freshman year while he adjusts and they were on board. He'll definitely get minutes but I'm not expecting a huge freshman year from him
I agree with you 100% on this. Clingan is not playing 28 minutes a game his freshman year for many reasons. I am guessing around 15 or so.

Reaction Score
I believe the extra year was only a 1 time thing because caronavirus canceled the tournaments, I’m I wrong on that?
It's for any players who were on the roster that year. With that said, it's not up to the players if they get the extra year at their current school, it's depends on if the coach wants them. They could always go elsewhere for that year if they choose.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with you 100% on this. Clingan is not playing 28 minutes a game his freshman year for many reasons. I am guessing around 15 or so.

Among other things, his ability to execute Hurley’s defense is highly doubtful. I remain curious how Hurley adjusts because I’m not sure Clingan can ever hard hedge. Sanogo lost 50 pounds to get quicker and is barely capable of it.

These things all have a way of sorting themselves out. No idea who stays or not. But there are lots of guys waiting to step up. I expect guys like Floyd are learning a lot in practice.

Karaban as a wing shooter should get quite a bit of burn. Everyone thinks I am crazy but Jackson functions as a point forward. Gaff needs to find his shot outside, he was very good last year. Johnson looks like a guy who is going to get some time next year. Not sure Springs will crack the deep frontcourt we have.

Reaction Score
This year is only setting the foundation for next years final 4 run. If Martin doesn’t come back we could use a grad transfer somewhere

Cole, Diggins
Hawk, Gaff
Jackson, Karaban
Akok, Johnson
Sanogo, Clingan

B- Floyd, Springs
Don't sleep on Floyd - I think he'll be a top-4 guard.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I dont understand what some of the people on here are smoking because you dont bring in a top 30 player to not contribute his first season. I fully expect DC to make an impact early on and get heavy minutes by January. Backing up Sanogo would be awesome. Have the beast destroying and then bring in a 7 foot 250lbs high skilled big? Thats a problem for any team to contend with.

He isn't a top 30 player.

That quote is hyperbole from his HS coach.

How many times have you watched him player vs another 4* or better center? I think he has once... ever. And he didn't look spectacular.

He will be very good. He is young foe his class and still a 7'2 monster. It WILL take time. I expect a redshirt or up to 10mpg maybe.

Reaction Score
He isn't a top 30 player.

That quote is hyperbole from his HS coach.

How many times have you watched him player vs another 4* or better center? I think he has once... ever. And he didn't look spectacular.

He will be very good. He is young foe his class and still a 7'2 monster. It WILL take time. I expect a redshirt or up to 10mpg maybe.
I really think; like most freshman, and even more so because he’s a big he will struggle with the speed of the game and strength his freshman year. I think he will turn into a monster as well but some fans need to temper their expectations.

Reaction Score
Does this sound like a bench player? Clingan from his coach:

“I just think, to me, and I could be a little biased, he’s the best true center in the class," Chatman said. "Unfortunately, because the game is played from the outside in now, it’s more of a wing and guard-oriented game. Everybody wants to shoot a three and everybody wants to characterize stretch fours and stretch fives. This is a kid that can make a three. When you’re talking about back to the basket, again, I don’t think there’s anybody else in the class (better). We play pretty much everyone in the country at this point with a top-5, top-10 center. Nobody has the skill set that he does. He’s an elite passer, not just a good passer, an elite passer. His hands are probably up there with some of the best hands that I’ve ever coached in terms of getting balls in and out of his area. Whether it’s a rebound or an errant pass.”

"I would say the most improvement he’s made to his game is just his strength and athleticism over the last year. He was growing at such a fast rate that he was trying to catch up to his body. Now, he’s caught up to his body and it definitely shows in his game."
That’s all fine and good but coaches always rave about their kids (as they should). I’m pretty sure that Mike Rice, who was Gaffney’s AAU coach likened him to Russell Westbrook. So hyperbole is not lacking. You could find some coach raving about Rakim Lublin if you looked for it. We’ll have a better idea where everyone stands once they’ve played a few games.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it is a certainty akok returns if he continues current pace of 14mpg. Hard to believe but he will be a senior and likely thinking about what gives him best chance at a professional career

Reaction Score

He held his own in the 2021 Top 100 Camp with obviously some of the best players in the country. I can see those kind of minutes for him next year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He's coming back.
Why so certain? Do you have info?

Dude could go and make money overseas. He's been in college for 5 years. Next year would be 6.

I'm willing to bet Cole doesn't even know for sure what he's doing next year, yet. Would love to have him back but I'm shocked at people saying he's coming back with certainty.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We’ve started two PG’s before with great success. It could happen next year

Reaction Score
Why so certain? Do you have info?

Dude could go and make money overseas. He's been in college for 5 years. Next year would be 6.

I'm willing to bet Cole doesn't even know for sure what he's doing next year, yet. Would love to have him back but I'm shocked at people saying he's coming back with certainty.
That's what I've heard.

Reaction Score
Among other things, his ability to execute Hurley’s defense is highly doubtful. I remain curious how Hurley adjusts because I’m not sure Clingan can ever hard hedge. Sanogo lost 50 pounds to get quicker and is barely capable of it.

These things all have a way of sorting themselves out. No idea who stays or not. But there are lots of guys waiting to step up. I expect guys like Floyd are learning a lot in practice.

Karaban as a wing shooter should get quite a bit of burn. Everyone thinks I am crazy but Jackson functions as a point forward. Gaff needs to find his shot outside, he was very good last year. Johnson looks like a guy who is going to get some time next year. Not sure Springs will crack the deep frontcourt we have.
Yeah, I still don’t get why your 5 has to hard hedge 30’ from the basket. Especially when they aren’t built for it (Josh, Adama, Akok). On the other hand, Isaiah is made for it.

Reaction Score
If both Cole and Martin both return, are we in danger of guys like Hawkins and Diggins transferring? Who knows... maybe even AJ.

Reaction Score
If both Cole and Martin both return, are we in danger of guys like Hawkins and Diggins transferring? Who knows... maybe even AJ.
cant speculate other than to say i'm not worried about hawkins, he'll be starting regardless and then off to the nba. diggins was always billed as a 4 year player so he can take over starting duties as a junior after being cole's primary backup next year. upperclassmen PGs are a good thing. no comment on AJ but i dont think martin comes back anyways, just cole.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley has proven by now he doesn't lose guys to the portal that he wants to be here. If anyone transfers it is because they were not good enough to contribute here.

Reaction Score

He held his own in the 2021 Top 100 Camp with obviously some of the best players in the country. I can see those kind of minutes for him next year.
Did great at rebounding and blocks, and he wasn't listed as playing as many minutes as those closest to him in those stats.
If he can be Thabeet as a freshman he'll get time aplenty.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I believe the extra year was only a 1 time thing because caronavirus canceled the tournaments, I’m I wrong on that?
One time thing that lasts four years. All team members during the Covid year have an extra year if they want it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom