Newton: “give me the ball” | The Boneyard

Newton: “give me the ball”

Reaction Score
Didn’t see this mentioned anywhere but did anyone notice at the end of the game when Newton was shooting free throws - he asked the ref to give him the ball like 10 times? Lol. You could clearly read his lips as he was saying it. I was watching it wondering what that was all about? Maybe he just wanted the game to be over..

Reaction Score
Didn’t see this mentioned anywhere but did anyone notice at the end of the game when Newton was shooting free throws - he asked the ref to give him the ball like 10 times? Lol. You could clearly read his lips as he was saying it. I was watching it wondering what that was all about? Maybe he just wanted the game to be over..
I saw it too. He missed the front end of the one and one after he finally got the ball. It looked like the delay threw off his rhythm. It did seem like it took longer than usual for the ref to give it to him.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I saw that too. He seemed like he was annoyed they wouldn’t give him the ball. I thought he was talking to another player or something.

Reaction Score
It was mentioned in the Post Game thread. Here's a link to the post which has a video of him asking for the ball. Pretty funny.

Reaction Score
From the Post game thread..
I had about as good of view of it as you are gonna get, granted I wasn't nearly close enough to hear what was being said but what I saw: the ref was lecturing Tristen (that was not visible on TV broadcast obviously) and he was doing it for AWHILE. No clue what it was about, but it seemed he was only talking to Newton and no other player but doing it while he is at the line ready to take the free throw.

Maybe Newton had yelled at the refs about a call or non-call earlier, but Newton was lined up and every other player on the floor was lined up ready to go but the ref would not shut up. It wasn't as if anyone was holding up the game, it seemed it was just the ref getting his pound of flesh from what I could tell.

Reaction Score
DH mentioned in his presser that Tristen may have to work on his approach with the refs to get his fair share of calls. Even Coach McD helped get a call or two vs him by "chatting" with the refs. Call on the made three with the leg kickout is exhibit#1

Reaction Score
DH mentioned in his presser that Tristen may have to work on his approach with the refs to get his fair share of calls. Even Coach McD helped get a call or two vs him by "chatting" with the refs. Call on the made three with the leg kickout is exhibit#1
This crap only stops when said referees act more professionally and get assignments taken away from them. The call on the three point attempt was really bad. I don’t think enough consequences are being enforced currently to stop these grudges.

Reaction Score
This crap only stops when said referees act more professionally and get assignments taken away from them. The call on the three point attempt was really bad. I don’t think enough consequences are being enforced currently to stop these grudges.
FWIW.. Coach Cal was successful in getting a Texas A+M guard's made three called as an offensive foul last weekend for the same reason as Newton. Could have effected the outcome of game but A+M was able to get the W

Reaction Score
It looked like the ref was trying to get Newton to begin his routine from below the three point line. When Newton was fouled again maybe 30 seconds later (and made both) the ref gave him the same instruction, Newton looked down at his feet to see he was standing on the three point line, took a small step forward, and the ref quickly and less dramatically gave him the ball.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
From the Post game thread..
That makes sense. Although I kinda love Tristen saying shut up and give me the ball. I know he did not say shut up he just did not want to be lectured. And honestly is that the time to do it. It clearly impacted his free throw. Don’t blame him though he gets hammered every conference game so there has to be frustration. I posted a few days ago that I thought the problem was he was over selling the contact, but there may be more to it. On that jump shot all he was doing was creating a little space by angling his body. He did not kick his legs out they were just part of the plane of his body. This would be ab example of what I mean \…..so we can go to the rule book and see how it reads but that was not an extended leg kick out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Well it starts at the top. You can get a lot more from the refs when you talk and communicate with them rather than berate them. Lol

I personally don’t think Newton’s actions at the FT line is helpful to trying to win another call if the ref is trying to explain something to him. It may just help him not get the next call.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Newton is our Tatum. He has complained to the point where the refs don’t give him much and have grown tired of him. He does look to draw fouls (and sure, flop) more than anyone else on the team, but I think Hurley was right last night. Newton needs to get over the calls, accept that not everything will go his way, and play through it. At the same time, it’s his last year and things aren’t going to change for him in conference play.

Reaction Score
FWIW.. Coach Cal was successful in getting a Texas A+M guard's made three called as an offensive foul last weekend for the same reason as Newton. Could have effected the outcome of game but A+M was able to get the W
Val Ackerman should know that UConn butters the bread in her conference. And if she repeatedly sees calls like that going against UConn and does nothing, then she doesn’t deserve to be commissioner. It serves the league members poorly to allow this when games get called differently in the tournament as well.

Reaction Score
Yeah saw in real time and was wondering wtf is up with Tristen. It was odd behavior, I get that he's frustrated with refs but acting like that doesn't help imo. The refs may suck but still have to be mildly respectful.

Reaction Score
Newton is our Tatum. He has complained to the point where the refs don’t give him much and have grown tired of him. He does look to draw fouls (and sure, flop) more than anyone else on the team, but I think Hurley was right last night. Newton needs to get over the calls, accept that not everything will go his way, and play through it. At the same time, it’s his last year and things aren’t going to change for him in conference play.
He doesn’t really complain that outwardly or exaggerated, he just gives them a look like “C’mon really?” Maybe refs don’t like that, but they need to get over themselves.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've noticed many times over the past two seasons where refs seem to pay special attention to Newton and whether or not his shirt is tucked in, trash talking between him and others and a few other things. I figured after the way he performed in NCAAT last year and him taking a bigger role this year, things would chill but Newton still seems to me to be under a magnifying glass.

Odd thing to me is while he does do the head flop a bit, he does take a bunch of contact on the lower body and chest when driving and he doesn't try to oversell that.

Several fans have noticed over the past two seasons he will force the refs hands calling fouls on opponents when the whistles are going against UConn. He will absolutely speed up, slow down or change direction to force contact and make the refs blow the whistle. Maybe that sticks in their craw.

Reaction Score
why is the ref holding the ball and holding up the game would be my question
who knows, camera was a close up on Tristen....but I doubt it was to purposely annoy Tristen ( if it was then ref is an idiot)

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
An AI ref wouldn’t be lecturing the players when trying to knock down free throws. /s

Or maybe they would…

terminator 2 reaction s GIF

Reaction Score
Val Ackerman should know that UConn butters the bread in her conference. And if she repeatedly sees calls like that going against UConn and does nothing, then she doesn’t deserve to be commissioner. It serves the league members poorly to allow this when games get called differently in the tournament as well.
Lmaooo, the league has won 3 championships since 2016. Clearly has served them poorly. Also, the current tv deal that pays really well for a basketball only league was signed before we even got back, so until the new deal is signed and we see what bump if any we get, I don't think we have the leverage to dictate the commissioner what to do.

Reaction Score
Tristen is a trash talker, and alot of it goes unnoticed. During the Double Tech he got against Georgetown, Supreme Cook jumps up at him calling him disrespectful and said something along the lines of "you don't 'fudgin' say that shi!"

Idk what he says, but clearly it works as he is in all of the scuffles with our team. Sometimes the refs need to just hand out the punishments(if necessary) and let the coaches coach. Imagine an NBA ref pausing the game to lecture a player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom