NEWS ALERT!!! Press con starting now! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NEWS ALERT!!! Press con starting now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I loved how he made the comeback regarding getting a good education at UCONN. "We have books too, a whole library full of them, and they're pretty good too."

Reaction Score
I absolutely love Geno press conferences. It was nice to hear from the girls in the early part of the clip but when they left and it was solely Geno, it was so special. He is so candid and so glib and I think I would pay to hear him in that type setting. He basically said that he and Muffett had a decent relationship early on when UConn dominated Notre Dame but that once Notre Dame started having success of sorts against UConn that the dynamics changed and that Muffett changed. He inferred that until you have success against a quality opponent, it's hard to be competitive but once that does happen, your competitive juices change how you interact with your opponent. Muffett has a different attitude toward Geno because of those successes and now feels she has a platform to look at things differently than before. He also spoke about how great success makes you highly resented by just about everyone. How many basketball fans want UConn to fail and get knocked off of their pedestal because they've been too good for too long. Most of these people don't care about how UConn's striving for excellence has elevated them to the status that they have. Other programs have great players but other than a couple of teams, no one pushes their players to excel on every possession, whether it be offensive or defensive. Geno is the coolest dude around, bare none!

Reaction Score
I absolutely love Geno press conferences. It was nice to hear from the girls in the early part of the clip but when they left and it was solely Geno, it was so special. He is so candid and so glib and I think I would pay to hear him in that type setting. He basically said that he and Muffett had a decent relationship early on when UConn dominated Notre Dame but that once Notre Dame started having success of sorts against UConn that the dynamics changed and that Muffett changed. He inferred that until you have success against a quality opponent, it's hard to be competitive but once that does happen, your competitive juices change how you interact with your opponent. Muffett has a different attitude toward Geno because of those successes and now feels she has a platform to look at things differently than before. He also spoke about how great success makes you highly resented by just about everyone. How many basketball fans want UConn to fail and get knocked off of their pedestal because they've been too good for too long. Most of these people don't care about how UConn's striving for excellence has elevated them to the status that they have. Other programs have great players but other than a couple of teams, no one pushes their players to excel on every possession, whether it be offensive or defensive. Geno is the coolest dude around, bare none!
Yeah, he said, "I would hate us too."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He was asked to comment on Muffet observation about how amazing it is that UConn is called for the fewest fouls in the country. Geno said what is amazing is how many FTs Notre Dame shoots against UConn. That's amazing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The other zinger he got in was ... Q: Muffet commented on how Uconn leads the nation in fewest fouls, how can that be?' do you have a response?
A: Well, can you tell me why ND is the only team that is allowed to shoot foul shots against us. Look at the last three years and count how many more foul shots they get than us when we play?!

Reaction Score
Yeah, he said, "I would hate us too."

Don't worry, no matter how much success UConn WBB has, they can never replace Michigan at the top of programs ND loves to hate. Irish fans hate all things having to do with Michigan, not just one team (program).

Reaction Score
Don't worry, no matter how much success UConn WBB has, they can never replace Michigan at the top of programs ND loves to hate. Irish fans hate all things having to do with Michigan, not just one team (program).
I think his, "I would hate us too" comment was related to 'everyone' wanting UCONN to get knocked off because they win too much.

Reaction Score
I loved how he made the comeback regarding getting a good education at UCONN. "We have books too, a whole library full of them, and they're pretty good too."
He talked about when we recruit, we're often recruiting against Stanford, Duke and Notre Dame and often he hears "why would I settle for a UConn education when I could get a degree from these schools?" and it's somewhat sad. UConn doesn't have the aura of these other schools but it is a highly rated public university, something like 17th in the nation and that's pretty darn good. Since some of these kids will end up having their WNBA pedigree help them in the public sector, maybe playing for the greatest coach in woman's basketball history and enhancing your game at UConn, like no where else, has some value beyond the obvious. I've seen how many girls when they first arrived at UConn couldn't stand up in front of a mike and utter a complete sentence. With the crew continually following them around, they've almost all evolved to such a high degree in regard to public speaking. Their ability to interview at such a high level is a significant thing for the business world, after UConn. Look at Rebecca and Kara and their success and figure someone like Stef will one day be a media star, partially due to her off court education at Storrs. Not too shabby!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The media asked Stewie about the tension in the room when she won the AP award. She thought for about 30 seconds before she answered. She said that each team was supporting their player, or something diplomatic like that. Clearly, she felt it, which is a shame but maybe unavoidable.

Geno was asked if he felt tense and he said not at all. He knows Muffet acted miffed and he didn't address that specifically but did talk generally about people "acting pissed off" when UConn players, coaches win awards.

Reaction Score
He talked about when we recruit, we're often recruiting against Stanford, Duke and Notre Dame and often he hears "why would I settle for a UConn education when I could get a degree from these schools?" and it's somewhat sad. UConn doesn't have the aura of these other schools but it is a highly rated public university, something like 17th in the nation and that's pretty darn good. Since some of these kids will end up having their WNBA pedigree help them in the public sector, maybe playing for the greatest coach in woman's basketball history and enhancing your game at UConn, like no where else, has some value beyond the obvious. I've seen how many girls when they first arrived at UConn couldn't stand up in front of a mike and utter a complete sentence. With the crew continually following them around, they've almost all evolved to such a high degree in regard to public speaking. Their ability to interview at such a high level is a significant thing for the business world, after UConn. Look at Rebecca and Kara and their success and figure someone like Stef will one day be a media star, partially due to her off court education at Storrs. Not too shabby!
So - CardFan - maybe there are two sides to the "Stanford is a recruiting draw" story?

Reaction Score
The media asked Stewie about the tension in the room when she won the AP award. She thought for about 30 seconds before she answered. She said that each team was supporting their player, or something diplomatic like that. Clearly, she felt it, which is a shame but maybe unavoidable.

Geno was asked if he felt tense and he said not at all. He knows Muffet acted miffed and he didn't address that specifically but did talk generally about people "acting pissed off" when UConn players, coaches win awards.
It is very sad that young women at that level, no matter what their age, could be so petty as to undermine the celebration of a well-deserved award. They must've learned by example. I can't imagine Geno allowing his players to ever act in that fashion. Never mind Geno even..Chris Dailey!

Reaction Score
It is very sad that young women at that level, no matter what their age, could be so petty as to undermine the celebration of a well-deserved award. They must've learned by example. I can't imagine Geno allowing his players to ever act in that fashion. Never mind Geno even..Chris Dailey!
But if you were Stewie, wouldn't you rather be up there getting the cold shoulder from your biggest rivals that NOT being up there? Might have been VERY satisfying to watch them sit there and simmer in their envy....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
But if you were Stewie, wouldn't you rather be up there getting the cold shoulder from your biggest rivals that NOT being up there? Might have been VERY satisfying to watch them sit there and simmer in their envy....

only if you were of that ilk. I don't believe that Stewie is like that...

Reaction Score
I don't like the fact that they cut out the press conference before it was done.

Reaction Score
I agree - I don't think Stewie is like that. I bet it did make her uncomfortable but she is too gracious to state that. Looking at that picture just makes me sad.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Stef was asked about not being allowed to use social media or wear nail polish, etc. She gave a great answer saying that people who use social media are basically narcissistic and its more important to focus on basketball.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I don't like the fact that they cut out the press conference before it was done.
I didn't see that. It cut off after Geno stood up to leave and made his "that was painful" crack to the moderator.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Hard as it may be to believe, there was actually a question about THE GAME. Geno said that the difficulty is that both teams are so similar in the way they play. He would much rather play a team that plays a totally different style. ND knows everything about UConn and UConn knows everything about ND so it probably will come down to who makes shots.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

Most of the other B1G schools carry a special loathing for all things Wolverine... :)

Reaction Score
I didn't mean she's 'like' this or 'like' that. Just that I don't feel TOO sorry for her, since she was up HERE and the ND girls were down THERE. I doubt she would have wanted to trade places. Anyway, both sides may feel tomorrow is payback time.... :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hard as it may be to believe, there was actually a question about THE GAME. Geno said that the difficulty is that both teams are so similar in the way they play. He would much rather play a team that plays a totally different style. ND knows everything about UConn and UConn knows everything about ND so it probably will come down to who makes shots.

Regarding the game, Geno said:
  • He's not sure his team has an answer for Loyd and McBride; nobody has this year
  • You can not beat ND if you don't do a great job on the defensive boards (hello Maryland)
  • It'll come down to making shots

Reaction Score
You're right. It had to be awkward for her and I don't think she got any enjoyment out of it like some would ("I got it and you didn't" type thing). She's just a good kid that strives to be the best that she can be, which is what we'd all want in our kids.

Reaction Score
Regarding the game, Geno said:

• [ ]He's not sure his team has an answer for Loyd and McBride; nobody has this year
    [ ]You can not beat ND if you don't do a great job on the defensive boards (hello Maryland)
    [ ]It'll come down to making shots
I'm kinda thinking that he probably has a hunch or two on how to slow down either or maybe even both of them but you definitely don't want to talk about specifics. You'd rather it be a nice game surprise. I'd be inclined to think Mo would be playing an awful lot on Lloyd, to help neutralize her penetration and harass her, hopefully tiring her out. I could be wrong but I think Bria will be guarding McBride who may be a smidgeon too quick for KML. All I know is UConn started shooting better towards the end of the first half and through much of the second half. I'm hopeful their mini shooting slump is over and that they're firing on all cylinders. I would like for it not to be even close though that may be asking too much. If they thumped McGraw and company, I would be carrying a serious smile on my face for quite a while.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm kinda thinking that he probably has a hunch or two on how to slow down either or maybe even both of them but you definitely don't want to talk about specifics. You'd rather it be a nice game surprise. I'd be inclined to think Mo would be playing an awful lot on Lloyd, to help neutralize her penetration and harass her, hopefully tiring her out. I could be wrong but I think Bria will be guarding McBride who may be a smidgeon too quick for KML. All I know is UConn started shooting better towards the end of the first half and through much of the second half. I'm hopeful their mini shooting slump is over and that they're firing on all cylinders. I would like for it not to be even close though that may be asking too much. If they thumped McGraw and company, I would be carrying a serious smile on my face for quite a while.
I would not be surprised to see KML get Braker/whoever and see Stewart on either McBride or Loyd at times - does not have the foot speed to play tight but has the length to threaten a jump shot from 5 feet away and to block from the side/behind on a drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom