Newcomers Jersey Numbers | The Boneyard

Newcomers Jersey Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Another year with no 54. How long shall it be before a trailblazer finally takes the only number never to be worn in UConn basketball?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
The number is retired.

And honestly Bazz should be up there as well. And Ben Gordon too.
UConn doesn't retire numbers.

And Bazz is up there on the Huskies of Honor.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The number is retired.

And honestly Bazz should be up there as well. And Ben Gordon too.
You can't really retire numbers for basketball. You can only use numbers 0 - 5 and if you include 00, you end up with 37 possible combinations that are legal. You would have to have uber strict criteria to retire numbers or you would run out too quickly. UConn simply puts the name and number in the Huskies of Honor and keeps the number available.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Let's just say it's retired due to significance. 5 (Final 4s)- 4 (National Titles).
But that logic won't be valid after this coming season. I guess it would hold for 65 but you can't wear that number anyways.

Reaction Score
You can't really retire numbers for basketball. You can only use numbers 0 - 5 and if you include 00, you end up with 37 possible combinations that are legal. You would have to have uber strict criteria to retire numbers or you would run out too quickly. UConn simply puts the name and number in the Huskies of Honor and keeps the number available.
I feel like the number shouldn't be available for say, 5 years or so. It would celebrate the Husky of Honor recipient even more than just putting the number up on the wall.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
I remember in 2012 the season after Maya Moore graduated, I was a bit surprised an incoming freshman would immediately take her number 23. Fours year later, KML is the all time three-point leader. If #13 inspires Enoch to greatness, I'm all for it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's a freaking jersey number. Not worth getting riled up over.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I remember in 2012 the season after Maya Moore graduated, I was a bit surprised an incoming freshman would immediately take her number 23. Fours year later, KML is the all time three-point leader. If #13 inspires Enoch to greatness, I'm all for it.
If Gordon : Adrien :: Napier : Enoch I'm on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom