2024 Recruiting: - Newcomer highlight: Tyler Betsey | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Newcomer highlight: Tyler Betsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The last newcomer to highlight here is Tyler Betsey, a 6-foot-8 forward out of Windsor (Conn.) St. Thomas More.

Betsey had a great end to the summer playing with the New York Renaissance 16s on the Nike EYBL Circuit and could be on the brink of a breakout season on the prep circuit.

He has terrific size and length and will be a defensively versatile prospect. What is a separator with him is his ability to stretch the floor, make shots from three and can attack closeouts to knock down shots off one- and two-dribble pull-ups.

Betsey holds offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Xavier, Seton Hall, UConn, Providence and Rutgers amongst others.

Reaction Score
Betsey has also said UConn is his dream school.. Why not lock him up before 25 more offers happen??
Because kids like to get wined and dined and use their official visits to travel and such. Get merch also. Even if they know where they’re going most like to wait like Donovan. Some kids want it out the way early but not many commit before junior year of HS.

Reaction Score
Because kids like to get wined and dined and use their official visits to travel and such. Get merch also. Even if they know where they’re going most like to wait like Donovan. Some kids want it out the way early but not many commit before junior year of HS.

It's also good for branding and helps with NIL $$ to pump up social media #s

Reaction Score
Betsey has also said UConn is his dream school.. Why not lock him up before 25 more offers happen??
He didn't say that here.

UConn: "It's the hometown but I didn't grow up playing basketball like that so I won't say that I have been watching them since I was young but we have the connection and they're like the professional team around here so it's a big thing to be recruited by them when you are from Connecticut."

Reaction Score
Because it‘s not his dream school, and he is not ready to commit yet. Do you think if he was ready to commit, they would say no thanks?
True, we’re not Syracuse (this exact situation was rumored to happen w/ Ducharme before his Xavier commitment)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
2024 is quite a ways off. No rush. No idea who else might commit here. I think all these kids should take their time and make the best choice. We might be quite loaded at forward in 2024.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He didn't say that here.

UConn: "It's the hometown but I didn't grow up playing basketball like that so I won't say that I have been watching them since I was young but we have the connection and they're like the professional team around here so it's a big thing to be recruited by them when you are from Connecticut."

Yikes. That doesn’t sound too promising.

Reaction Score
Not saying we’ll get Betsey, but kids like to be recruited. Idk if you remember some of the Clingan quotes that made it seem the the sky was falling.
Off topic from Betsey but what were the Clingan quotes? Curious

Reaction Score
Off topic from Betsey but what were the Clingan quotes? Curious
I don't remember the exact quotes but he would go out of his way to talk down being a UConn fan/UConn lean. People here read it as him not liking UConn when the reality was he just didn't want schools to stop recruiting him as if his mind was made up

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Connecticut: “People think that UConn is already my decision because they are close to home but that doesn’t mean they are. Coach Hurley and his staff have done a really good job of building the program back up and recruiting me.”

Source: Four-star big man Donovan Clingan discusses his top eight
A few posters on here were telling us they thought he'd commit to Michigan. Including one poster who said he had some inside information from someone in Bristol. As always with recruiting, you take these things with a grain of salt.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A few posters on here were telling us they thought he'd commit to Michigan. Including one poster who said he had some inside information from someone in Bristol. As always with recruiting, you take these things with a grain of salt.
To be fair, Michigan was coming off having a Don clone at center do very well, and their program was on a huge upward trajectory. They were absolutely a threat once he visited.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Michigan was coming off having a Don clone at center do very well, and their program was on a huge upward trajectory. They were absolutely a threat once he visited.
But he didn't commit there, did he? That was my point.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A few posters on here were telling us they thought he'd commit to Michigan. Including one poster who said he had soem inside information from someone in Bristol. As always with recruiting, you take these things with a grain of salt.
Uncredited "inside information" too often comes from inside their own head while high.

Reaction Score
Because it‘s not his dream school, and he is not ready to commit yet. Do you think if he was ready to commit, they would say no thanks?
Agree with you that he is not ready to commit. UConn would take him if and when he is based on the projected needs in'24..

Reaction Score
Betsey it appears wears #4 for the Rens. At UConn Gordon, Jalen Adams and Adrien wore #4. He's also class of '24. He was also 40% on threes. He's ranked #58 but will soon be #4. Clearly he will commit to UConn on the 4th of a month and bring the program 4 national championships. My logic is irrefutable.

Reaction Score
Betsey it appears wears #4 for the Rens. At UConn Gordon, Jalen Adams and Adrien wore #4. He's also class of '24. He was also 40% on threes. He's ranked #58 but will soon be #4. Clearly he will commit to UConn on the 4th of a month and bring the program 4 national championships. My logic is irrefutable.
Are you that guy from the Nathan Fielder show The Rehearsal?

Reaction Score

Backdoor cut<<

-> Betsey has made an unofficial visit to UConn, gone to a football game.

“They’ve been very gracious in hosting us,” his mother, Georgina Rush, said. “It’s definitely in the running. That program is very comprehensive academically, and obviously their basketball has all of the elements that Tyler would be looking for in a program in furthering his career in basketball.”

But UConn doesn’t have any inherent advantages in his recruitment.

“I didn’t grow up playing basketball, I’m not one of those kids that grew up with the ball in my hands, so, I don’t really have a dream school,” he said. “Right now, as far as my recruitment goes, every school is on the same ground. There’s no school that’s up here, down here. Everybody’s on the same ground. I’m hoping that new schools reach out, but there’s no school that’s really separating themselves right now.”

Is there a school he hasn’t heard from yet that he’d like to?

“Obviously, you want to hear from the blue bloods,” he said. “But it’s not like I’m stressing. It’s my junior year. I don’t really focus on schools all that much right now, I just focus on getting better at basketball.” <-

Reaction Score

Backdoor cut<<

“They’ve been very gracious in hosting us,” his mother, Georgina Rush, said. “It’s definitely in the running. That program is very comprehensive academically, and obviously their basketball has all of the elements that Tyler would be looking for in a program in furthering his career in basketball.”

“I didn’t grow up playing basketball, I’m not one of those kids that grew up with the ball in my hands, so, I don’t really have a dream school,” he said. “Right now, as far as my recruitment goes, every school is on the same ground. There’s no school that’s up here, down here. Everybody’s on the same ground. I’m hoping that new schools reach out, but there’s no school that’s really separating themselves right now.”

“Obviously, you want to hear from the blue bloods,” he said. “But it’s not like I’m stressing. It’s my junior year. I don’t really focus on schools all that much right now, I just focus on getting better at basketball.” <-

Guess we're not a blue blood.. NExT

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Backdoor cut<<

I know we aren’t, but hearing kids say we aren’t a blue blood stings. A lot of this is clearly lip service a la Donovan Clingan making sure people know he still wants offers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know we aren’t, but hearing kids say we aren’t a blue blood stings. A lot of this is clearly lip service a la Donovan Clingan making sure people know he still wants offers.
It’s a kid, and a kid who admittedly hasn’t really followed a lot of basketball. The definition of what it means to be a basketball blue blood has always been pretty squishy changing from person to person. [Shrugs.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom