New Transfer rules? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Transfer rules?

Reaction Score
The GPA rule is useless! Any division 1 athlete will be able to maintain a 3.0 when they A: have tutors that basically write papers for them and access to tests and exams prior to taking them. B: take remedial or elective classes that are an easy A for anybody with a pulse. At UConn Geology 101 "Rocks for Jocks", Intro to Music "Clapping for Credits", Math 100 "Adding for As", etc.
Geology 101 was brutal in my day.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
this is an old story first reported back in September:

NCAA could vote to grant immediate eligibility to D-I transfers
This is what I thought too,that this was discussed last fall. So I was assuming that the NCAA was planning to vote in the near future based upon this new thread. And if the vote is going to be soon, I would think that the timing is all wrong, the vote should come after the tournament. I don't think giving potential transfers a glimmer of hope of the immediate eligibility factor might impact their performance this season.

JS

Reaction Score
Comment One. What's Driving This?

A recognition, perhaps, that the standards for "hardship" avoidance of the sit-out year have eroded and become so opaque that the current system is untenable.

That erosion just invites perceptions of arbitrariness, hypocrisy, corruption, you name it.

In other words, we seem to be on the verge of having no standards anyway. Those tasked with making and rationalizing subjective NCAA decisions must have a growing "ick" factor in their jobs.

Hence the appeal of something nice and objective.

Comment Two. Pick Your Fear

A fear expressed by some in this thread is that the successful coaches will change their ways to avoid key players running away the moment they don't get what they want.

A contrary fear, and the original one behind the restriction, is that the best players on less successful teams will all go running toward the successful coaches.

Ever play Red Rover?

Deciding which way to run could give the players whiplash.

hell-weekend-photo-2-edited-300x222.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Bull pucky. Nor will Geno change is approach to his team. He does what he does or he doesn't that the simple truth. Geno will be Geno---not anyone else--believe it

Not sure how your comment fits the discussion, but Auriemma has said for years that he would like to see the number of scholarships reduced.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
One moderate compromise makes the transferee sit one semester, instead of a whole season.

Reaction Score
I think one of the issues has been that kids would be recruited in some way, even if against the rules, after signing with and playing for a program.

Thorny issue. I know the case is made that if a coach can just switch schools, why can’t the player. Of course a coach is earning a livelihood, so the situations aren’t quite the same. Making transferring too easy certainly could create instability in the sport that coaching changes don’t. Higher level programs certainly spend a lot of money and time in recruiting basketball players. I plead ignorance on the volleyball rules and overall system including recruiting.
I would agree with this... We see it in HS... where a "private school" with no "zone" for where they can get players picks up Star Public HS players with the promises of what it will do for them for college, pros, etc. I lived in Maryland, and a local Private School "recruited" the best baseball players (probably other sports too), from most of the local Public HSs and went as far away as VA and NJ to get players. Yes they had very good teams in Baseball, but at the expense of the Public HSs they took players from.
I agree with the poster who commented about how if playing right away was allowed, Colleges with a bunch of injuries (i.e., ND) could "recruit" stars or nearly stars from other Colleges to fill the holes in their roster and save their season...at the expense of the losing schools of course.
As for Coaches transferring and coaching immediately... ummm I haven't seen one Coach hit the winning 3 pointer in any game I ever watched.

Reaction Score
This will spread out the talent. Bad for the women's team, good for the men's team. Coaches will have to be careful with overstocking their rosters with 5 star players that will likely get upset and leave. ND might like this rule this year but they won't when they can be loaded with talent. And I am sure they want kids eligible IMMEDIATELY, not just next season.

As for a seedy underworld, it already exists for recruits and transfers. One way to curb this is to limit the number of transfers a team can have on its roster to something like 2. Or, maybe, have the transfer count as two scholarship slots.

Reaction Score
I would agree with this... We see it in HS... where a "private school" with no "zone" for where they can get players picks up Star Public HS players with the promises of what it will do for them for college, pros, etc. I lived in Maryland, and a local Private School "recruited" the best baseball players (probably other sports too), from most of the local Public HSs and went as far away as VA and NJ to get players. Yes they had very good teams in Baseball, but at the expense of the Public HSs they took players from.
I agree with the poster who commented about how if playing right away was allowed, Colleges with a bunch of injuries (i.e., ND) could "recruit" stars or nearly stars from other Colleges to fill the holes in their roster and save their season...at the expense of the losing schools of course.
As for Coaches transferring and coaching immediately... ummm I haven't seen one Coach hit the winning 3 pointer in any game I ever watched.

this would be a major NCAA violation

Reaction Score
this would be a major NCAA violation
I would surely hope that's the case... but "immediately" means right away, and I didn't see anything about "poaching" in the summary of the potential rule change... and of course, the "recruiting" or "poaching" would likely not be direct, but through a third party...under the guise of "secrecy" who is actually doing it for Coach A, or B, or... Then, the Student Athlete announces she wants to transfer, as if it were her own idea.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't think there should be immediate eligibility unless a coach is replaced or there are circumstances in the players life that would benefit them transferring to a school close to their family/guardian etc. Close is a relative term, so maybe approx 200 to 300 miles from the players home. If immediate eligibility is granted, you'll find the lower level schools will end up being farm systems for the more elite programs. You'll find some good players will stay a school for one or two years and transfer to a school that is more likely to make the tournament or win a National Championship. Some Coaches at Elite schools instead of recruiting High School players will start recruiting players after they have completed their Freshmen or Sophomore years of college. Sure coaches will still recruit the Elite High School players, but why spend scholarship money on a player you're not sure will develop when you can recruit a player with one or more years of college experience.

Reaction Score
In almost every collegiate sport besides football and basketball, an athlete can transfer and play right away. I believe you have one time transfer right away. If you decide to transfer again, you have to sit out a year. That makes perfect sense to me. I played tennis along college and was allowed to transfer and play immediately, but the previous school had to approve it.

Reaction Score
In almost every collegiate sport besides football and basketball, an athlete can transfer and play right away. I believe you have one time transfer right away. If you decide to transfer again, you have to sit out a year. That makes perfect sense to me. I played tennis along college and was allowed to transfer and play immediately, but the previous school had to approve it.
Why are football and basketball treated differently?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The GPA rule is useless! Any division 1 athlete will be able to maintain a 3.0 when they A: have tutors that basically write papers for them and access to tests and exams prior to taking them. B: take remedial or elective classes that are an easy A for anybody with a pulse. At UConn Geology 101 "Rocks for Jocks", Intro to Music "Clapping for Credits", Math 100 "Adding for As", etc.
Not all programs are UNC. For all the non-revenue sports (and WCBB qualifies as a non-revenue sport!), this is a good rule to continually remind the student and the coaches that the primary focus is academics. To say "tutors that basically write papers for them" is presumptuous at best. I have 2 D1 athletes in school right now and I love that they have mandatory study hall and access to tutors as their training is 20 hours a week, 6 days a week plus travel. That's a pretty tight schedule. They do not have tutors writing their papers, far from it. Your cynicism is over the top for this forum. Now if you want to go over to a power 5 football or basketball site, I would still think you a tad negative but not necessarily off-base.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not true at all. D1 schools do not allow athletes to play right away. Many schools even limit where a transfer can go. D2 and D3 have different rules. I am not sure of your situation-was it a D1 to D1 transfer? Or was it something else? I know Stanford Tennis would not grant a transfer to USC for immediate play. There does need to be an over haul of the process and as we have seen, there are exceptions.
Here is the direct language from the NCAA for all D1 sports:
"Requiring student-athletes to sit out of competition for a year after transferring encourages them to make decisions motivated by academics as well as athletics. Most student-athletes who are not eligible to compete immediately benefit from a year to adjust to their new school and focus on their classes. Student-athletes who must sit out for a year at their new school may practice with their new team and receive an athletics scholarship if they were academically eligible when they left their previous school."

Reaction Score
Not all programs are UNC. For all the non-revenue sports (and WCBB qualifies as a non-revenue sport!), this is a good rule to continually remind the student and the coaches that the primary focus is academics. To say "tutors that basically write papers for them" is presumptuous at best. I have 2 D1 athletes in school right now and I love that they have mandatory study hall and access to tutors as their training is 20 hours a week, 6 days a week plus travel. That's a pretty tight schedule. They do not have tutors writing their papers, far from it. Your cynicism is over the top for this forum. Now if you want to go over to a power 5 football or basketball site, I would still think you a tad negative but not necessarily off-base.

Don't tell me my "cynicism is over the top for this forum", I played Baseball at UConn in the early 2000's! I can 1000000000% tell you that we had tutors that would write papers for us, and access to tests, mid-terms, and finals before taking them. We also had a team of advisors known as the Academic Development Team that would steer us towards courses that were taught by professors that were "friends of the program".

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Haven't seen this yet here, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

NCAA to meet soon about immediate eligibility for transfers

The NCAA will meet soon regarding immediate eligibility for transfers, multiple sources have informed FanRag Sports. The main point of discussion in these meetings will be that if a student athlete earns a certain GPA, he or she would be eligible to transfer immediately without a sit out year.

One source told FanRag Sports that while “nothing is official,” the expected GPA for a student athlete to earn immediate eligibility as a transfer would be either a “2.7 or 2.8.” Two other separate sources said that if this rule is passed, it would go into effect on August 1, 2018.

If passed, how will this affect the way that coaches discipline their players? Muffet and Geno show some tough love...

And it should make it harder for coaches to build a team, as you cannot count on players sticking around. Or will the top programs be immune to this possible effect?
@Fightin Choke this discussed in this prior thread.
NCAA Considering Major Change To Transfer Rules
Also note that someone actually suggested tying eligibility to GPA (Ok it might have been me). Also note the people who were scoffing at my idea.

Reaction Score
Sounds great for the "student athlete", but what about having some "insurance" for the schools/teams.

What would stop...yeah it's hypothetical, say 5 or more players (...maybe the whole team) want to "stick it" to the coach and make a pact to transfer out. I've read some posts here suggesting a team can "only" have 2 transfers (I'm assuming they're incoming transfers) on roster. I would suggest that perhaps only 2 players from any team can transfer out of a school/team, otherwise a team could be depleted of players. My 2 cents worth.

Reaction Score
Wonder if we will see more of what happens on the academic side, e.g., student goes to community or lesser known college, gets good grades and transfers to a better school. If players are playing basketball well at a lesser program could they be shopping in year 3 or 4 to get into a better program and increase their odds of making the pros

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sounds great for the "student athlete", but what about having some "insurance" for the schools/teams.
What would stop...yeah it's hypothetical, say 5 or more players (...maybe the whole team) want to "stick it" to the coach and make a pact to transfer out. I've read some posts here suggesting a team can "only" have 2 transfers (I'm assuming they're incoming transfers) on roster. I would suggest that perhaps only 2 players from any team can transfer out of a school/team, otherwise a team could be depleted of players. My 2 cents worth.
I disagree with the idea that schools/teams should have the insurance you are proposing which is to limit the number of transfers out. All scholarship are for 1 year and subject to renewal by the school only. Ironic as that is, it provides all the protection to the school needs and none for the student athlete. Additionally, how would you determine which SAs are most deserving in the case where you have 3 or more SA that want to transfer and the limit on transfer is set at 2?

Reaction Score
If this happens (and I'm not convinced it will) the roster size for WCBB should be reduced to 13.

That would hurt L’ville. Next year they are on pace to have 14 on the roster if they have no transfers in or out. They have 10 active now with 2 redshirts. Ten active is perfect. Walz uses these injuries to redshirt players to fill needs in the future. Walton and Carter come to mind. Didn’t seem like either of them had to sit out but thats just my opinion without really knowing. Walton was obvious. Didn’t help much with Walton since her Sr year was pretty bad. Her Jr year was decent.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The mid-majors have been making the same argument against immediate eligibility for graduate transfers. They argue that they make the investment in these players, develop them, educate them and then they leave after they earn their degree. The NCAA has discussed the grad transfer issue but has not changed its policy. We'll see if the NCAA responds to mid-major concerns on the general transfer eligibility rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom