New Transfer rules? | The Boneyard

New Transfer rules?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Haven't seen this yet here, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

NCAA to meet soon about immediate eligibility for transfers

The NCAA will meet soon regarding immediate eligibility for transfers, multiple sources have informed FanRag Sports. The main point of discussion in these meetings will be that if a student athlete earns a certain GPA, he or she would be eligible to transfer immediately without a sit out year.

One source told FanRag Sports that while “nothing is official,” the expected GPA for a student athlete to earn immediate eligibility as a transfer would be either a “2.7 or 2.8.” Two other separate sources said that if this rule is passed, it would go into effect on August 1, 2018.

If passed, how will this affect the way that coaches discipline their players? Muffet and Geno show some tough love...

And it should make it harder for coaches to build a team, as you cannot count on players sticking around. Or will the top programs be immune to this possible effect?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

The NCAA will meet soon regarding immediate eligibility for transfers, multiple sources have informed FanRag Sports. The main point of discussion in these meetings will be that if a student athlete earns a certain GPA, he or she would be eligible to transfer immediately without a sit out year.

One source told FanRag Sports that while “nothing is official,” the expected GPA for a student athlete to earn immediate eligibility as a transfer would be either a “2.7 or 2.8.” Two other separate sources said that if this rule is passed, it would go into effect on August 1, 2018.

If passed, how will this affect the way that coaches discipline their players? Muffet and Geno show some tough love...

And it should make it harder for coaches to build a team, as you cannot count on players sticking around. Or will the top programs be immune to this possible effect?
If this is true then I think that the GPA should be 3.0 or higher, if less than that then you sit for a year.

Reaction Score
that policy would certainly slow academic fraud on campus from the school's standpoint............

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think players should be able to play immediately. Not sure why college basketball players should be held to a different standard than the rest of the student body who is free to transfer whenever they please. Transfer rates are already so high these days, I don't see this making transfers more prevalent.

College volleyball already allows players to transfer and play the following season, and I believe the number of transfers are similar to what we see in college basketball. Reasons are the same too--lack of playing time, homesickness, not meshing with the coaching/program, etc. It's all the same, just a different sport.

Ultimately, if a 17 year old signs with a school and finds out it's not a good fit right off the bat, I don't think they should have to wait a year and a half before playing somewhere else.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Would there be a limit on how many times a player could transfer? Theoretically you could play for 4 different teams in your career (there are already some grad transfers that play for 3 different teams).

Reaction Score
I think the players should be immediately eligible no question. They only get a limited number of years to play college BB and should be able to find the situation that best fits their needs without being punished.

But at the same time, I think there should be some restrictions placed on the coaches to reduce recruiting and an outright free agency type situation. Like say a limit on the number of transferred players you can have on scholarship at one time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Would there be a limit on how many times a player could transfer? Theoretically you could play for 4 different teams in your career (there are already some grad transfers that play for 3 different teams).

I don't think there's a limit, but I doubt we'd ever see that scenario happen besides an extreme case here or there. The most I'm guessing we'll see is 3 schools, like Natalie Butler has done.

If players transfer every year, it'd be virtually impossible to graduate since most schools require students to take at least 2 years worth of credits at the school in order to gradute. Aside from that, I don't expect many players will want to start over every year playing for different coaches, adjusting to a new sets of teammates, making new friends, learning the ropes at a new campus, etc.

Reaction Score
It would put a different spin on academic fraud, phantom and "gut" courses.
"Pass my player with a C, please! No higher!"

Reaction Score
If this is true then I think that the GPA should be 3.0 or higher, if less than that then you sit for a year.

The GPA rule is useless! Any division 1 athlete will be able to maintain a 3.0 when they A: have tutors that basically write papers for them and access to tests and exams prior to taking them. B: take remedial or elective classes that are an easy A for anybody with a pulse. At UConn Geology 101 "Rocks for Jocks", Intro to Music "Clapping for Credits", Math 100 "Adding for As", etc.

Reaction Score
If this happens (and I'm not convinced it will) the roster size for WCBB should be reduced to 13.

Why ? if you have injuries and transfers (out) then you could be down to less than 10 scholarship players

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is this for all sports that have a waiting period or just WBB? Regardless, whatever the Golden Dome wants it to be, it will be.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why ? if you have injuries and transfers (out) then you could be down to less than 10 scholarship players

Fewer roster spots may help limit the number of transfers.

The men's teams have a roster of 13 and it hasn't been much of a hardship. Then again, taking away the 2 additional roster spots in WCBB may have Title IX implications though.

Reaction Score
If this happens (and I'm not convinced it will) the Broster size for WCBB should be reduced to 13.

Bull pucky. Nor will Geno change is approach to his team. He does what he does or he doesn't that the simple truth. Geno will be Geno---not anyone else--believe it

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not so much in WBB, but if this happens in MBB, mark my word, it will create a shadowy underworld of middleman, player brokers, bag men and mysterious uncles who will be shopping players to the highest bidder, making what happened at Louisville and the other schools that were targeted by the FBI seem like Sunday school.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not so much in WBB, but if this happens in MBB, mark my word, it will create a shadowy underworld of middleman, player brokers, bag men and mysterious uncles who will be shopping players to the highest bidder, making what happened at Louisville and the other schools that were targeted by the FBI seem like Sunday school.

In MBB where it is one and done for the best players, transfer rules are meaningless. The bagmen are doing their magic before the kid gets to college. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In MBB where it is one and done for the best players, transfer rules are meaningless. The bagmen are doing their magic before the kid gets to college. :rolleyes:
That’s true for the top players. But what if I’m a coach in the ACC, and I really need a pg, and I haven’t been able to sign one. Maybe there’s a good one playing at a mid-major somewhere who’s not really ready to go pro. I can put out a feeler to some middleman telling him what I’m looking for, agree to a price, payable upon delivery of the package. :cool:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That’s true for the top players. But what if I’m a coach in the ACC, and I really need a pg, and I haven’t been able to sign one. Maybe there’s a good one playing at a mid-major somewhere who’s not really ready to go pro. I can put out a feeler to some middleman telling him what I’m looking for, agree to a price, payable upon delivery of the package. :cool:

I'm fairly convinced there is already tampering that goes on w/ some transfers, but I think tampering would be out of control if all players were eligible to transfer without sitting out a year.

Reaction Score
I would not be in favor of "immediately". Nor am I in favor of sitting out a year.
I think the player should have to wait until the next season. Otherwise a team could stack it's roster by wooing transfers just ahead of the tournaments.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I would not be in favor of "immediately". Nor am I in favor of sitting out a year.
I think the player should have to wait until the next season. Otherwise a team could stack it's roster by wooing transfers just ahead of the tournaments.
I am hoping that the term "immediately" in the OP really means the next season. No way would I think that they would consider that an athlete that transfers anytime during the 2018-2019 season could play for their new team in the 2018-2019 season. If that's allowed, then ND probably would of had a boatload of kids transferring in this season, as an example.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

this is an old story first reported back in September:

NCAA could vote to grant immediate eligibility to D-I transfers

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I think the players should be immediately eligible no question. They only get a limited number of years to play college BB and should be able to find the situation that best fits their needs without being punished.

But at the same time, I think there should be some restrictions placed on the coaches to reduce recruiting and an outright free agency type situation. Like say a limit on the number of transferred players you can have on scholarship at one time.

Tag me "rose-colored glasses", but should priority be given to finding the best BB team to play for over the best school to attend?

How about the money the school has foregone for the student-athlete's scholarship? And the admission place. No consideration for that?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think players should be able to play immediately. Not sure why college basketball players should be held to a different standard than the rest of the student body who is free to transfer whenever they please. Transfer rates are already so high these days, I don't see this making transfers more prevalent.

College volleyball already allows players to transfer and play the following season, and I believe the number of transfers are similar to what we see in college basketball. Reasons are the same too--lack of playing time, homesickness, not meshing with the coaching/program, etc. It's all the same, just a different sport.

Ultimately, if a 17 year old signs with a school and finds out it's not a good fit right off the bat, I don't think they should have to wait a year and a half before playing somewhere else.
I think one of the issues has been that kids would be recruited in some way, even if against the rules, after signing with and playing for a program.

Thorny issue. I know the case is made that if a coach can just switch schools, why can’t the player. Of course a coach is earning a livelihood, so the situations aren’t quite the same. Making transferring too easy certainly could create instability in the sport that coaching changes don’t. Higher level programs certainly spend a lot of money and time in recruiting basketball players. I plead ignorance on the volleyball rules and overall system including recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom