New top 25 (1/15) | The Boneyard

New top 25 (1/15)

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Of course, UNC hangs on at #23. They win just enough to remain a ranked team. UNC is 8th all-time in poll appearances; NC State is 9th and trails UNC by just 3 poll appearances. Would love to surpass them in the overall rankings this year.

EVERYBODY BEAT THE TAR HEELS!

Reaction Score
I love how the AP lists the conferences as “Big 10 women” etc. Are they worried that readers are going to think Iowa plays in the Big 10 men’s conference and be confused?

Reaction Score
Big gap between 7 and 8 as expected.

Given that Baylor just beat TX a week or 2 ago, don’t think I would’ve put them behind TX just yet.

UConns resume helped by the ascent of Louisville, now up 13.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Of course, UNC hangs on at #23. They win just enough to remain a ranked team. UNC is 8th all-time in poll appearances; NC State is 9th and trails UNC by just 3 poll appearances. Would love to surpass them in the overall rankings this year.

EVERYBODY BEAT THE TAR HEELS!

What a joke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mitchell Northam has State at #7... and Chapel Hill at 14.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Mitchell Northam has State at #7... and Chapel Hill at 14.
I have some month-old milk in my refrigerator. Think I might whip up a batch of LETTERL Surprise with it and send it to Mitchell as a way of introducing myself.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have some month-old milk in my refrigerator. Think I might whip up a batch of LETTERL Surprise with it and send it to Mitchell as a way of introducing myself.

He actually knows his stuff, for the most part. Don't think he cares much for Duke though.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would have put Oregon State in over UNLV; the one good team UNLV has faced this season was a blowout loss.
Are you saying Seton Hall is a good team but Arizona isn't?

UNLV beat Arizona by 19 on a neutral court. Oregon State needed double overtime to beat the Kitties on home court.

OSU is a good team, but just on principle alone, anyone who plays the #313 nonconference strength of schedule is not getting the benefit of the doubt from me.

Reaction Score

UNLV beat Arizona by 19 on a neutral court. Oregon State needed double overtime to beat the Kitties on home court.

OSU is a good team, but just on principle alone, anyone who plays the #313 nonconference strength of schedule is not getting the benefit of the doubt from me.
UNLV lost to Seton Hall by 30. OSU lost to USC by 2, and UCLA by 11 on USC & UCLA home courts. Which team has held USC & UCLA to their lowest point totals to date? OSU, again on USC & UCLA's court. Arizona beat Utah and lost to Colorado by 1. Fortunately, OSU has more opportunities to improve their NET rating

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

I had forgotten they had beaten Arizona. I didn't watch that game. But still, they got blown out by Oklahoma, a game I did watch.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UNLV lost to Seton Hall by 30. OSU lost to USC by 2, and UCLA by 11 on USC & UCLA home courts. Which team has held USC & UCLA to their lowest point totals to date? OSU, again on USC & UCLA's court. Arizona beat Utah and lost to Colorado by 1. Fortunately, OSU has more opportunities to improve their NET rating
Those are some nicely cherry-picked data points, which conveniently exclude the fact that Oregon just handled Arizona with relative ease. Who was the best team that Oregon State played in a true road game in the nonconference? Did they play any true road games?

I already said OSU is a good team. I'm sure they'll be ranked once they start beating other good teams. Obviously with that OOC schedule Rueck was banking on the "let's sneak up on everyone" strategy.

I had forgotten they had beaten Arizona. I didn't watch that game. But still, they got blown out by Oklahoma, a game I did watch.
Are you sure you watched that game? :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anyone want to explain why NC State moved up after losing to Virginia Tech, but UCLA dropped after losing to USC? Both were on the road, USC was higher ranked. That don't make no sense. And Va Tech dropped after losing to Florida St., but beating NC State, who is now ranked #4. Weird, weird, weird.

Reaction Score
Those are some nicely cherry-picked data points, which conveniently exclude the fact that Oregon just handled Arizona with relative ease. Who was the best team that Oregon State played in a true road game in the nonconference? Did they play any true road games?

I already said OSU is a good team. I'm sure they'll be ranked once they start beating other good teams. Obviously with that OOC schedule Rueck was banking on the "let's sneak up on everyone" strategy.

Are you sure you watched that game? :rolleyes:
Cherry picking is a skill you develop in Oregon. We grow lots of cherries. The cherry on top is still in the cards for Oregon State. As I have repeated a couple of times: MOCK my words!

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Anyone want to explain why NC State moved up after losing to Virginia Tech, but UCLA dropped after losing to USC? Both were on the road, USC was higher ranked. That don't make no sense. And Va Tech dropped after losing to Florida St., but beating NC State, who is now ranked #4. Weird, weird, weird.
Well...for one thing, we beat Colorado earlier in the year and our one loss was by 1 point on the road at the #13 team without our center in a game we led for 39:40. That may be one reason.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well...for one thing, we beat Colorado earlier in the year and our one loss was by 1 point on the road at the #13 team without our center in a game we led for 39:40. That may be one reason.
I just don't get how a team moves up two spots after losing, and how the team that beat them gets dropped in the polls. It looks like they are using completely different criteria for some teams than others.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I just don't get how a team moves up two spots after losing, and how the team that beat them gets dropped in the polls. It looks like they are using completely different criteria for some teams than others.
Well..we did win our one game this past week and tied a season-high for points. We dropped from #3 to #6 after losing to Virginia Tech...and this week, moved up. We didn't move up after a loss.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well..we did win our one game this past week and tied a season-high for points. We dropped from #3 to #6 after losing to Virginia Tech...and this week, moved up. We didn't move up after a loss.
Oh shoot, I thought the VA Tech game was during the last week. Never mind. The poll reaction for both NC St. and VA Tech happened previously and had no bearing on the new poll out today. Now it makes more sense.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Imo NC St has the two most impressive wins of season thus far in UConn and CO.

Ranking slightly below is UCLA, with victory over UConn and USC. And CO with victory over LSU and Stanford.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Cherry picking is a skill you develop in Oregon. We grow lots of cherries. The cherry on top is still in the cards for Oregon State. As I have repeated a couple of times: MOCK my words!
I too actually like OSU and have seen all 4 of their PAC12 games this (why? well when my therapist and I come to a rational conclusion, I will advise the board). That said, the Beavers have a rough patch coming up against the strength of the PAC12, where Massey has them going 2-7.

Scott did his team no favors by having all 9 OOC games at home and then play 2 neutral site games before the conference schedule started. His best opponent of those 11 games-Villanova (Massey 53/NET 47) who aren't even close to an NCAA bid. Heck this Nova squad is probably 6th place in the BE this year.

Do the beat writers actually ask him about his OOC or reasoning why he plays so many home OOC games? Last year, with how young the team was and with all the transfers, I did understand his soft OOC but this year, he should have scheduled a little harder. I did have him as 25 in my poll prediction.

Reaction Score
Anyone want to explain why NC State moved up after losing to Virginia Tech, but UCLA dropped after losing to USC?

Because rankings are relative not absolute.

Eg
Stanford held at 8 this week despite their loss because Baylor and LSU had far worse losses.

Had those 2 teams won, Stanford falls to 10th.

In other words, Stanford’s ranking is only partially related to its own performance. What other teams do is a key part of the equation, something many fans overlook.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom