New Thread ... what the heck is ESPN doing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Thread ... what the heck is ESPN doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is for someone else to do. Not us. The memories are too fresh.

duck them ... Go on Blumenthal your Bad Self. You cannot go through the world without slamming evil-doers in the Face.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
According to mhver, ESPN is now pushing very, very hard for the Big 12 to expand by 2-4 schools. We got to hope for 0 or 4. 2 would be disastrous.

If Rutgers and Louisville go to the Big12 it absolutely causes the the basketball onlies to split from the Big East. In that scenario, I see the Mountain West reforming with Boise State and San Diego State leaving as football onlies and we would be looking at: UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, Temple, Memphis, SMU in an all sports conference. I don't see how UConn ever recovers from that.

If the Big12 expands by 4 teams, Louisville and Rutgers are a given. It would be between UConn, USF and Cincy I would have to imagine.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just don't see the Big 12 wanting anything to do with UConn or RU. If anything, they'll grab Louisville and BYU. I know the whole Sunday playing thing and BYU but I feel that if the money is right, they'd be willing to work something out so BYU doesn't have to play on Sunday. UConn adn RU are too far east for the Big 12 and I would imagine that Texas wants nothing to do with them as they would just dilute the money share. So really it's ACC or bust for us. Supposedly RU has a chance at the B1G but I don't see them have any need to move anytime soon. Plus, as soon as they catch wind that someone else might grab RU, they know that all they have to do is wink in that direction and RU will come running. So I think the Big 12 is an even bigger pipe dream than the B1G. Honestly, I wouldn't even be interested in the Big 12 except for the reality that it's NOT the BE.

Reaction Score
UConn's overall basketball program is probably worth more than BYU's football program. UConn IS a HUGE part of the tri-state puzzle. Also serves New England, including Rhode Island and central and western Mass and all areas north, at least. We do also reach into the Hudson Valley. That is a huge area of land following a college's athletic programs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can only say that $4- $8.5M a year for Memphis and Temple is way too much. What idiots dilluted the split with those two.

Amen.

The sugarplum dreams people are having about our next television contract have to be tempered by the fact that no network is going to want to show a Memphis/Temple/UCF/SDSU game to anyone anywhere at any time. That's dreck.

Are people still following that weird MV guy on Twitter?

Reaction Score
Pudge is actually on to something here. If we had politicians with some stones, this would have already been done.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Amen.

The sugarplum dreams people are having about our next television contract have to be tempered by the fact that no network is going to want to show a Memphis/Temple/UCF/SDSU game to anyone anywhere at any time. That's dreck.

Are people still following that weird MV guy on Twitter?

Remember, if ESPN offers less than $12 million per team, its because of collusion, not because NOBODY HAS OR WILL EVER GIVE A TO WATCH MEMPHIS-TEMPLE.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What you mean putting Memphis, Temple and Georgia State in the Big East won't magically transform them into big time programs? Say it ain't so.

Reaction Score
The ACC recently signed a 15-year, $3.6 billion contract extension with ESPN. The Big 12 inked a $1.2 billion contract with Fox for the conference’s second-tier rights last year. ESPN and Fox partnered for a historic joint deal with the Pac-12 last year worth $3 billion over 15 years.

There's a big difference between those above, fron the POSITIVE ESPN article last month, and today's $60-130m per annum.

For you ... of little faith ... I have no response. But, this will all be put to bed soon ... and you know that because? ESPN is getting more interesting by the day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Rutgers and Louisville go to the Big12 it absolutely causes the the basketball onlies to split from the Big East. In that scenario, I see the Mountain West reforming with Boise State and San Diego State leaving as football onlies and we would be looking at: UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, Temple, Memphis, SMU in an all sports conference. I don't see how UConn ever recovers from that.

If the Big12 expands by 4 teams, Louisville and Rutgers are a given. It would be between UConn, USF and Cincy I would have to imagine.

Think about it. Unless the BE TV deal comes in pretty heavy, Boise and SDSU will split anyway. The BCS is over, so there is no auto bid. Add those to to the MWC teams and it could be a better football conference than the NBE. The NBE has been on life support all along.

Reaction Score
This is far from over.

There might add a 7th bowl, which could mean good news for the BE if its champ is tied to it.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Officials-may-add-7th-bowl-to-playoff-3879070.php

Also, Orange Bowl wants to have the option to select the best possible opponent for the ACC vs. being tied down to the selected conferences and ND. This could also mean good news for the BE champ if it has no tie-in and it is ranked high enough. I really don't want BE champ to play the ACC in any top tier bowl, but it is a possibility as of today.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=1633

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104