New thoughts on Alex Oriakhi | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New thoughts on Alex Oriakhi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There was a theory that part of AO's struggles are the result of JC. I don't consider AO played considerably better in the USF game therefore I doubt the reduced minutes and lack of rebounding production from AO are the result of JC in spite of AO's tweets to the contrary.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I watched the game again and I don't think AO's struggles are from laziness...he just seems to lose focus. He is clearly not boxing out on defensive rebounds but neither were the other UConn players...perhaps some hard core drills in practice!
On one defensive play AO was covering Gilchrist when he took an outside jumper but instead of boxing out he starts leaking out down court like he hopes to lead the , perhaps because he assumes AD will get the rebound but the ball comes off long right back to Gilchrist with noone between him and the hoop leading to a dunk, directly related to AO's brainfrrt...it is just odd to have our most experienced player making all of these mental errors

Reaction Score
Are you for real? Are you really a UConn fan? I can understand adding some constructive criticism about why Alex isn't playing well, but to simply call one of our own players disgustingly bad is harsh. This is a UConn fan site. We're not expecting people to be homers, but to trash an amateur college student athlete on the team that we all root for is ridiculous. I think most of us consider you a disgustingly bad fan. How does that make you feel? You probably don't like me very much for calling you that, do you? How do you think Alex would feel to read your post?

You should follow Baby Sheep Lamb Chops and go away for a while and come back later to either tell us how right you were or how wrong. My guess is Alex will be a solid contributor before it's all said and done.

I happen to like his effort today. I don't know why he kept on using his off hand to ward off the defender and getting some bad offensive foul calls, but it was something he hadn't been doing all season, at least I don't recall that being a problem. Alex hasn't played well or picked up where he left off, but to call him disgustingly bad is a gross exaggeration IMO.
As I said before its not his performance, its his effort that Im killing him on. Roscoe, Boatright, Lamb they all screw up too but they try hard. Alex has played so disintersted and lazy this year and I dont see how you dont see that. I can still be a Uconn fan while bashing a player for being lazy.

Reaction Score
I think we might be confusing low BB IQ and a lack of confidence for laziness.

When I watch AO play, I don't see a guy who doesn't care and is just going through the motions. I see a guy whose performance is hindered by a limited understanding of the nuances of post positioning, by poor hands and stiff offensive moves, and compounded by a fragile psyche that does not respond well to adversity. It's a combination of a dearth of physical skills and an un-JC-like absence of mental toughness, which is probably why he's ended up as JC's whipping boy.

But you'd be insulting AO's work ethic (which I believe he does possess) to call him lazy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I missed the game today. How was Alex today?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I missed the game today. How was Alex today?

He was better ... still not there but better.

I'm also not sure he has a low BBIQ, I think he just let's the pressures get to him too much. A mistake or two and his confidence is shot. If he can get around that and build on a few strong showings, I think we'll start to see the same Alex we saw in March and April last year.

Reactions: SJ

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He was better ... still not there but better.

I'm also not sure he has a low BBIQ, I think he just let's the pressures get to him too much. A mistake or two and his confidence is shot. If he can get around that and build on a few strong showings, I think we'll start to see the same Alex we saw in March and April last year.

Thanks.

SJ

Reaction Score
I didn't read this whole thread, but it really bothers me when people insult players. As two posters before me said, his confidence probably gets shot. Let's remember these are KIDS, and yes, they need mental toughness, but five pages about his MISTAKES is not helping AO's confidence. I think building people up and focusing on the positive is more productive. When I'm at games, there's always some out of shape slob trying to coach or putting down the players sitting near me, and I just want to smack 'em, or tell them to get their fat out there and try to do a better job if they are so critical! Be nice! :)

Reaction Score
SJ just to let you know this is a website to discuss uconn basketball and believe it or not there are things which need improvement. Now i agree the insults are unnecessary but the constructive criticism is part of this gig. And some of "fat ass' people know some stuff, and although its easy being a monday quarterback, they are able to discuss things they see here. I guess if you don't like that you don't have to read those posts.

There's probably a few "out of shape" slobs who wish they were 6'9"245 when they were playing........:)

Reaction Score
He is disgustingly bad. It is shocking how much worse hes gotten.
You know, its funny. I read your foolishness in the "babysheep, so long" post and then I clicked on this. You're actually complaining that people are not reacting properly to your insight-free declaration that "he is disgustingly bad" ?

Your input on this board is "disgustingly bad". There. Same brilliant insight, and factually more accurate.

SJ

Reaction Score
SJ just to let you know this is a website to discuss uconn basketball and believe it or not there are things which need improvement. Now i agree the insults are unnecessary but the constructive criticism is part of this gig. And some of "fat ass' people know some stuff, and although its easy being a monday quarterback, they are able to discuss things they see here. I guess if you don't like that you don't have to read those posts.

There's probably a few "out of shape" slobs who wish they were 6'9"245 when they were playing........:)
I see constructive, and I see foolish. I see things and think "what are you doing?" but I guess I'm just trained not to yell it out loud! (Mom: if you don't have anything nice to say...) I might even be guilty of mumbling it under my breath. I just get defensive of the players I guess and didn't mean to sound crass toward the out of shape! Heck, I'm out of shape! I just don't think it's constructive to say you're lazy or you suck! That's what I mean. It must be the mom in me that I feel bad for them when they miss a shot, they already know they missed it and are probably feeling pretty crappy, and probably don't need some fan telling them they suck or saying "nice shot" sarcastically. I think we probably agree more than disagree, and I'm sorry I keep bumping this thread!

Reaction Score
Right so showing an ability to play well and lead a team to a title reflects his ability to do so. Coming nowhere near that ability a year later allows us to question him, ESPECIALLY because his lack of production is derived DIRECTLY from him being completely lazy and showing no effort whatsoever. So basically your agreeing that he has been awful and that I have a right to state it. Sooooo I dont understand why your disagreeing with me, since you agreed with both of my points.......
Just friggin' relax. No, Alex hasn't played as well as we all hoped. Part of his problem has been fitting in with the new players and basicly moving from C to PF. And BTW I don't agree with Alex being lazy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As I said before its not his performance, its his effort that Im killing him on. I can still be a Uconn fan while bashing a player for being lazy.

I must admit I agree that lack of effort is a legit reason for criticism, but you are out of line here. AO is working hard while trying to fit in a new role. This is a great team to be rooting for. They pass the ball, they hustle, they play D. I feel sorry for you.

Reaction Score
I see constructive, and I see foolish. I see things and think "what are you doing?" but I guess I'm just trained not to yell it out loud! (Mom: if you don't have anything nice to say...) I might even be guilty of mumbling it under my breath. I just get defensive of the players I guess and didn't mean to sound crass toward the out of shape! Heck, I'm out of shape! I just don't think it's constructive to say you're lazy or you suck! That's what I mean. It must be the mom in me that I feel bad for them when they miss a shot, they already know they missed it and are probably feeling pretty crappy, and probably don't need some fan telling them they suck or saying "nice shot" sarcastically. I think we probably agree more than disagree, and I'm sorry I keep bumping this thread![/quote

I agree about the "suck" and "lazy" type crap is unacceptable so yeah we do agree more than not. And lack of effort is not part of this equation either. AO not boxing out does not mean he's lazy...I watch a lot of hoops, hs too and kids everywhere are lacking fundamentals and if you're not taught young and it becomes engrained then its tougher to make it a natural part of your game. Purdue has a group who box out all the time but they don't have our athletes either. Need AO to be better I'm sure we can all agree on that and we are all rooting for him to get there.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A lot of the pressure for rebounding, blocking shots, and being a down low presence for AO is now gone with the Arrival of AD. So maybe he doesn't play as hard because right now they don't necessarily need him to do these things because AD does it so well. Last year he was the main guy who had to do those things. This year we have AD to do those things for us to get wins at the time. I just think its one of those cases where he isn't motivated as much to go out there and be the guy he was last year because its not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom