New Starting Lineup for Columbia game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Starting Lineup for Columbia game

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Our problem is shooting and ballhandling, and you want to put an unskilled power forward at the 3? Yikes.

I thought JC's NBA-sized lineups (Roscoe-AO-Drummond at the 3-4-5) were ineffective; what you're proposing is even more extreme.

I am a proponent of the big lineup similar to how Calhoun was because it is very effective. Kentan is not unskilled, not a great jump shooter yet but definitely has skills with the way he finishes around the basket with traffic. We need some more beef in the lineup and some more "nasty" to counteract our deficiencies on the perimeter. This will also expedite D-Ham's learning process as a 2 guard in terms of shooting and handling the ball more efficiently.

Reaction Score
I am a proponent of the big lineup similar to how Calhoun was because it is very effective. Kentan is not unskilled, not a great jump shooter yet but definitely has skills with the way he finishes around the basket with traffic. We need some more beef in the lineup and some more "nasty" to counteract our deficiencies on the perimeter. This will also expedite D-Ham's learning process as a 2 guard in terms of shooting and handling the ball more efficiently.

I'd argue that perimeter defense is the least of this team's concerns right now, and even if it were a concern, Facey isn't going to help.

You realize that this team's biggest problem is scoring, right? Putting essentially three offensive zeros in the lineup isn't going to help that.

Reaction Score
i would go boat, d ham, facey, brimah and put Omar in at 2 guard. Give him some good minutes and lets see what he's got. Last year in Bridgeport was his last good game. In warmups against duke he hit every 3 he took. Hes our best hope for outside scoring threat going forward. If he stinks it up at least we know what Omar is at this point

He can get his minutes without starting. I agree he should see some more and soon to see where he is. But to start him over anyone after he didn't step up to play a couple games when cleared could hurt the chemistry down the road. Not a good message. Kids do know the facts.

H

huskymagic

I'd argue that perimeter defense is the least of this team's concerns right now, and even if it were a concern, Facey isn't going to help.

You realize that this team's biggest problem is scoring, right? Putting essentially three offensive zeros in the lineup isn't going to help that.

big lineups aren't there just for defense. Amida and Kentan aren't zeroes and won't be playing Okafor every night. We are not Villanova and you don't win championships with small ball unless you have some dynamic perimeter players like we had last year. Hamilton can be free to develop faster offensively, handling the ball, shooting and utilize his skills better if he is at the 2. If D-Ham develops like Jeremy did throughout his freshman year, with the defense we have, we will score enough points to beat anybody.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wow this is a great thread. It almost trumps the ole' Enosch Wolf ones back in 2012.

Reaction Score
Omar Calhoun has not scored a single point in UConn's last 23 games. To think that he is going to have any significant impact this season just isnt realistic.

Reaction Score
Terrible lineup. How about :

Sf Dham
Pf Facey
G Omar
G purv
G Boat
I would use this line up and pressure team's full-court 40 minutes and try to run run run and spread the floor in the half court and attack the basket relentlessly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Terrible lineup. How about :

Sf Dham
Pf Facey
G Omar
G purv
G Boat
I would use this line up and pressure team's full-court 40 minutes and try to run run run and spread the floor in the half court and attack the basket relentlessly.

Like your idea better but that's not a good team to press with. Small and easily thrown over and no stopper by the defending hoop. Pressing takes some size, smarts and anticipation and I'm not sure where we get that. Our defense is fine where we are so maybe a look at a team like that against Columbia and CCSu isn't a bad idea in just a man-to-man. I like Boat ball hawking their PG and making their offense start too high, the press will take him away from that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think Boat should be jacking more three's.

Reaction Score
Kentan Facey at the 3....... Huskymagic definitely does not understand basketball.

Reaction Score
Like your idea better but that's not a good team to press with. Small and easily thrown over and no stopper by the defending hoop. Pressing takes some size, smarts and anticipation and I'm not sure where we get that. Our defense is fine where we are so maybe a look at a team like that against Columbia and CCSu isn't a bad idea in just a man-to-man. I like Boat ball hawking their PG and making their offense start too high, the press will take him away from that.
Yeah that was also my issue with the lineup especially Kentan not being a defensive stopper. Amidah would be better but then you cant rebound. I think its worth a shot though. But again as you also mentioned our defense seems to be the least of our worries and i could not agree more. I thought this lineup would be a way to score easier in transition and off the defense.

Reaction Score
The key to this team, obviously, is getting puvis going. Boatright is going to score his 18-20 and Hamilton, by the end of the year, should be playing aggresive enough to drop 15 a game. Brimah will be up and down, but should be able to score 8-10 a night just on lobs/fouls and Facey should be able to get 6-10 just on 0-bards. that right there is almost 50 points. This team doesnt need to score more than 66 to win most nights. Getting 10-14 per game from Purvis is huge and to do that you need to define his role better.

I would start Samuel at the 2. Your starting lineup is excellent on D and you can put Boat off ball for a few possessions and let Samuel find him, Hamilton and Brimah. Then when Purvis comes in, hes coming in as a super-duper Samuel of last year. There is less pressure and he can focus on D, pushing pace and getting into the teeth of the defense. Really though, if this team brings the defensive intensity it brought to the duke game to every other game, they wont lose more than 4 more games all year. Whether or not they get roles defined on offense will determine exactly how well they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom