New Starting 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Starting 5

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't see Geno changing the starting lineup.

Paige
Evina
CW
Aubrey
Liv.

Nika has earned a lot more minutes off the bench. Aaliyah will get her minutes and she will improve.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its very evident to me that after the Ark game the non starters have proved themselves and earned some confidence. If a starter isnt doing what Geno wants he will pull them and put somebody else in. He now has seen they belong and what they can do...he also saw that from his starters.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm from Montgomery County. Bunch of farms in Frederick County ain't it. Like Jimmy Chitwood- got a hoop in the grass out in the back field. Closest neighbor- 5 miles away. (just kidding)
I lived in Gaithersburg before moving to Frederick County.

Reaction Score
At this point in time, I do not believe Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be a dominant center in the college game.

I do think ONO’s mobility and defensive instincts are enough to pique interest of WNBA coaches and GMs, but not as a center. I’m starting to think ONO’s best chance to make it as a pro is as a hybrid four. I wish she could play on the wing — with her height and build, she’d be unstoppable.

You might ask why I’m thinking about any of this at the midpoint of her junior season. At the end of the day, player development is essential for the next level, and these women’s careers extend beyond the 2020-21 season. Neither ONO nor CW have fully panned out in the minds of the Husky loyal, and it feels increasingly unlikely that either fully will.
Liv and Christyn are right now, very good college players with some flaws. By Uconn standards, nothing special, and somewhat disappointing compared to our initial hopes. We heard Liv had put on some badly needed muscle, and there have been a few games this year where she took it to the hoop aggressively, and didn't try to avoid contact. That was encouraging, but came against weaker competition. I suspect against a banger with height she will still have problems with contact.

You raise her WNBA prospects, and that is a good point. While maybe a little stronger, she can get pushed around by bulkier centers several inches shorter in college. That flaw and the resulting inability to finish strong at point blank range, are raising major question marks regarding WNBA or European career options. When she takes it strong to the hole against lesser foes she is a major force, but she needs to be able to do that against players around her height that are 20-30 pounds heavier as well. We need somebody to bang against Boston for example more than someone who can take advantage of inferior competition. This off-season anything less than adding 15-20 pounds of muscle should be considered an off-season failure.

Regarding Christyn there are some similarities to Megan. They could both use their physical gifts to score at will against high school competition. While pretty good at other things, nothing else jumped off the page as an exceptional trait, at least by Uconn standards. I would say both of those players had a little trouble going from a high volume scorer with good but not great efficiency, to fitting into a system where nothing but a high percentage shot is acceptable.

Megan finally found a specified role as an undersized spot up 4, and became a very good three point shooter. Christyn at times looks like she could take it to the hoop or pull up for a mid-range jumper whenever she wants. It may not be a great percentage shot, but she has the ability to create a mediocre one. Put in a system looking for something better than that, most of the time she becomes a spot up three point shooter, and her pure shooting ability isn't that good. In her case I think it is what it is. She struggles with creating offense vs. being an offensive mediocre three point shooter. There will be questions about her on the draft as well. Good physical skills, a smooth looking shot with mediocre accuracy, and ok but nothing special about the rest of her game.

The last class we had that in my opinion overachieved my expectations was Katie Lou and Pheesa. After that we had three classes that in my opinion have been somewhat disappointing. Last year was probably a little overachieving, with Anna being close to my expectations, and Aubrey turning out so far better than I expected. Of course that was a year when we didn't have top recruits and expectations were lower.

This year's class has very high expectations, as next year's class will, and so far so good.

Reaction Score
At this point in time, I do not believe Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be a dominant center in the college game.

I do think ONO’s mobility and defensive instincts are enough to pique interest of WNBA coaches and GMs, but not as a center. I’m starting to think ONO’s best chance to make it as a pro is as a hybrid four. I wish she could play on the wing — with her height and build, she’d be unstoppable.

You might ask why I’m thinking about any of this at the midpoint of her junior season. At the end of the day, player development is essential for the next level, and these women’s careers extend beyond the 2020-21 season. Neither ONO nor CW have fully panned out in the minds of the Husky loyal, and it feels increasingly unlikely that either fully will.
I can't disagree with your position on Olivia. She doesn't seem to like contact and seems more comfortable out on the perimeter. I don't understand why Geno tolerates her out there. Lately I am seeing Griffin out there too. Neither one of them is a shooter and I almost prefer to see them miss. We need them down low.

Reaction Score
I can't disagree with your position on Olivia. She doesn't seem to like contact and seems more comfortable out on the perimeter. I don't understand why Geno tolerates her out there. Lately I am seeing Griffin out there too. Neither one of them is a shooter and I almost prefer to see them miss. We need them down low.
In Geno’s scheme the center flashes to the top of the key to open the lane for cutters but
she is not the great passer as Dolson who when open could shoot the three.I believe this will be the last poor game she will have , remember how it took Tina 2 1/2 years to get mean.

Reaction Score
Saylor should be starting just because I like her name, she's from Frederick County, I too know how to coach and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Agree, for no other reason than her name, Saylor should be starting, along with Autumn (nice name, also, at the point. Mir also gets the name nod for the third spot. Complete the roster with Nika, and Evina. There you go, and I have also stayed at that chain hotel, not bad either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like this also...but Edwards needs to be on the block to score. She Hasn’t developed the 15 foot game yet. But I think she will. Therefore her and Liv I don’t think would work well yet.
Agree. That’s why I put Edwards as the five, the center, and Olivia as the power forward where her range would force other bigs to come out to the perimeter to cover her freeing the lane.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep the current starting 5 in place (you all are a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks). GEEZ !!!
Sorry Mrs. Griffin.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Olivia is a good high post passer. Not a good passer out of low double teams, Arkansas scouted that and defended her that way.

Reaction Score
Right now that would be a perfect message to her for a few games.
She really had gotten pretty fierce end of last season, with the coming of Janelle. I don't see that now, and she and UConn need for her to get back to that.

Reaction Score
i only care about the 'Finishing 5' in a close game.

Problem with that is, we've had two close games, 1 win and 1 loss, and in both games, we started the first quarter out with Aubrey taking way too many outside jumpers and we had to play catch up as a result. The offense just moves better with her on the bench, because she doesn't understand it and she's not a good passer. This is why Anna, when healthy, has to be the 5th starter,

Reaction Score
1 loss and "The Sky Is Falling". Way too many "Worry Worts" out there. Remember !!! This team has ZERO Seniors, and is extremely young. People on here have expectations like this team is the US Olympic Team. Geno and staff know what they are doing. This loss is probably a good thing for this young team to experience as part of their maturation this season. Leave the current starting 5 in place and see how things progress. You may be pleasantly surprised. ?

Reaction Score
I lived in Gaithersburg before moving to Frederick County.
When I was a kid, Gaithersburg High was the farm boys. It's crazy there now.
Have you heard of Gene Doane? He won a state at Blair HS in Silver Spring in 1975. He moved to a "new" school out your way, Seneca Valley. I think he may have won a state there too. 4A. I graduated from St, Anselm's.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When I was a kid, Gaithersburg High was the farm boys. It's crazy there now.
Have you heard of Gene Doane? He won a state at Blair HS in Silver Spring in 1975. He moved to a "new" school out your way, Seneca Valley. I think he may have won a state there too. 4A. I graduated from St, Anselm's.
Lived in MD from 77 - 96. I also lived in Germantown and Seneca Valley was known as a football powerhouse. I wasn't even aware that there were HS and College WBB teams at that time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1 loss and "The Sky Is Falling". Way too many "Worry Worts" out there. Remember !!! This team has ZERO Seniors, and is extremely young. People on here have expectations like this team is the US Olympic Team. Geno and staff know what they are doing. This loss is probably a good thing for this young team to experience as part of their maturation this season. Leave the current starting 5 in place and see how things progress. You may be pleasantly surprised. ?
1612037866690.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mir and Saylor are the first two players from Maryland in quite a few years.
Speaking of Saylor, I'm afraid we have an issue which demands an immediate meeting of the Hartley Units Standing Committee (you see what i did there?). Just take a look:

Reaction Score
Should be Nika, Paige, Ev, Cw, Olivia...even when Anna returns. Even though she’s still a bit raw... she is ready and already a natural leader on the floor. When Nika is in the ball moves and she provides defense, relentless effort, scoring, and they will be able to get out in transition more. And If she can consistently knock down her shot, she will be the surprise of this years squad! Also you can move Paige off the ball more when needed to the 2 and the offense will flow more with two great passers also on the floor. Also I like Aubrey off the bench more. So that teams can’t sag in the lane and this will open up the floor. Then along with her bring AE, Anna, and McLean off the bench! Just my opinion after watching the last few games.
remove CW and input AG and see how that works. We have 3 good outside shooters and an athletic player who wants to be a good outside shooter, but can at least clean up a lot of wrongs and a big to protect the rim. Give that a go.

Reaction Score
Curious feedback.
-ONO plays relatively well for most of the season, has one poor game and some want to sit her?
-Nikki has been poor on both offense and defense until the past game and some want to start her?
-Williams misses most of her shots the last 3 quarters at Arkansas, plays average at best defense and few comment?

Only on the Boneyard.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom