New PAC-12 Forming | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Would not be surprised at all to see some combo of Montana/Montana State, Idaho/Idaho State, North Dakota/North Dakota State, South Dakota/South Dakota State move up and join this league. CW will probably be the primary rights holder IMO.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed you didn't suggest UConn should be talking to them :p

Btw - those discussions with the B12 and ACC must have really hit a wall...if they ever happened at all....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This seems crazy, auto bid for the rebuilt P12?

"In the next two years, the Pac-12 champion is not eligible for an automatic qualifying spot as it does not meet the CFP’s conference-minimum requirement. However, starting in 2026, the champion of a rebuilt Pac-12 would presumably be eligible to receive an automatic bid."

Reaction Score

Not a surprise at all. Pac-2 are talking to media consultants, and get the best teams to help with their next media deal. Not sure if they are interested in a Coast to Coast conference since there might not be enough good teams out in the West.

They can also pick up UNLV and New Mexico/SJSU.

If UConn has no B12 option for now, joining as a football only won't be too bad if they also add some East Coast teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This seems crazy, auto bid for the rebuilt P12?

"In the next two years, the Pac-12 champion is not eligible for an automatic qualifying spot as it does not meet the CFP’s conference-minimum requirement. However, starting in 2026, the champion of a rebuilt Pac-12 would presumably be eligible to receive an automatic bid."

It also says this -

"The league lost its designation as an autonomous/power conference, a moniker that gave it more voting privileges within NCAA governance and more revenue in the CFP distribution model. It is unclear if the conference could regain such a designation."

"CFP leaders last year voted to change the 12-team expanded playoff format. They removed one automatic qualifying spot and added an at-large bid for a format that features five AQs for the highest-ranked conference champions and seven at-large bids."

Another point not in the article ---- the original CFP 4 team agreement that no longer exists and designated the PAC-12 as an AQ expires in 2025. So there is nothing that was ever agreed or signed off on that said the PAC-12 would ever have an AQ after 2025. The new 12 team agreement already eliminated their AQ and the only legal action they could take in my view is suing to get the original 2025 agreement back in place. That would only be for 1 season. I think that would be a stretch that a court would agree since a new agreement was signed off on by everyone - including WSU and OSU - which eliminated the PAC-12 from having an AQ. Those two schools got monetary concessions for that.

There is no way in hell the Frankenstein PAC-12 will be allowed to get an AQ.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
posting because the idea of adding texas (for football talent and media $) makes some sense to me.

wonder if air force would opt to join the AAC after this goes down.

Reaction Score
We should definitely kick the tires on a fb only association. We can take a half share or a bit less if needed, and they get that eastern coast exposure that the old Pac12 was missing.
Exactly. Seems like a win-win. It’s only 4-5 games out west a year. Could throw in a home-and-home in basketball each year. That group isn’t the worst basketball conference. I wonder if they try to get Gonzaga and St. Marys sans-football obviously.

Reaction Score
Dreaming - but wouldn’t it be better for all involved if the PAC-12 took back Cal/Stanford? Back “home” for them, eases travel for everyone and also maybe offer SMU a full share vs what they have now with the ACC. Would even argue maybe Utah (doubtful) should be asked to return since they didn’t want to go to the Big12 anyways. Then maybe UConn can get that offer to either the ACC or Big12? Like I said, dreaming (especially the Utah part).

Reaction Score
There is no way in hell the Frankenstein PAC-12 will be allowed to get an AQ.

I think you’re mis/overinterpreting the statement. Once the PAC reforms then yes its champ would be eligible for an AQ. In the same way that every G5 conference champ is eligible for a bid …. If they are one of the top 5 conf champs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
posting because the idea of adding texas (for football talent and media $) makes some sense to me.

wonder if air force would opt to join the AAC after this goes down.

Tulane and Memphis won’t be interested in a much stronger conference than the AAC?

Reaction Score
Be interesting to see what happens to the MW after this.
Can they lure any AAC teams or do they have to go after CUSA (NMSU/UTEP) and WAC (which has been working towards moving up to FBS).
Or does it collapse? After this they’re down to 7+Hawaii for FB. But more will surely go to the PAC.

Wyoming is toast. Probably New Mexico.

Reaction Score
Be interesting to see what happens to the MW after this.
Can they lure any AAC teams or do they have to go after CUSA (NMSU/UTEP) and WAC (which has been working towards moving up to FBS).
Or does it collapse? After this they’re down to 7+Hawaii for FB. But more will surely go to the PAC.

Wyoming is toast. Probably New Mexico.
Will depend on how many the PAC ends up taking. I doubt they are done.

Reaction Score
Add Gonzaga/UConn FB only combo now you cowards!
And St Mary's/Hawaii FB only combo and you've built a nice little conference. I'm sure they're looking at UNLV as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UConn has no B12 option for now, joining as a football only won't be too bad if they also add some East Coast teams.
Such as?

Reaction Score

Should the ACC explode like many believe, it does open interesting possibilities…. Would Cal and Stanford join? Would there be enough teams on east coast to bolster league after P3 take what they want.

Or, could ACC and this league just merge for East/West coast league.

Seems like they have a plan to get best of the west. I hope they succeed.

Reaction Score
Add San Jose st for Bay Area presence and one of the New Mexico schools and voila access to the Playoff. Realignment is so easy for others

Reaction Score
Not a surprise at all. Pac-2 are talking to media consultants, and get the best teams to help with their next media deal. Not sure if they are interested in a Coast to Coast conference since there might not be enough good teams out in the West.

They can also pick up UNLV and New Mexico/SJSU.

I like it but they won’t need us.

With the list they have they will get their pick of what is left in the MWC, and probably the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom