New NCAA amateurism model | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New NCAA amateurism model

Reaction Score
Someone else mentioned this yesterday, but go listen to Colin cowherds take on the future. Not sure how reliable his source is, but he claims with 2 years the NBA is looking to bypass the college game. NBA academy’s across the country for 14-17 year olds, then draft into G-league. Same as they have in China. My guess is kids jump on that chance. May cut out AAU clubs and then the NCAA, if still around, would be able to put a 3 year commitment on kids to play if not being drafted out of HS.
I get some of the Cowherd model. Why would the NBA continue to let the college model harm them? Problem is we remove the scum actors and are left with less talent in college. Wow, first kids can declare early and now not play at all in college. Think people will still watch? This also does not address the likely rampant payoffs in college football, the real cash cow. I find it hard to believe the FBI isn’t exploring this side already.

Reaction Score
I know kids in Italy that have been through both soccer and basketball academies. I'm not sure the USA would be prepared for such a drastic change. In many European countries, you have a stronger social welfare system. Which is why I think the academies show very little interest in their athlete's education. Tough being jettisoned from these academies when you're 16-18 and have little to fall back on. But that's how they do it.

Yea agree, $$$ and hesitation into culture changes hold a lot of weight. it comes down to how much the NCAA tarnishes the reputation of the NBA . Cowherd's argument for it was that he's been told Adam Silver is ticked off, and that the G-League is currently being revamped into a more robust and beneficial league, one where players can grow under professional bball staff. ome would hope that somewhere in all this, you'd have special courses to prepare the players for adult life, similar to the Q school in the PGA pro tour process. Kids don't learn how to be adults within college, especially if their plan is to show up to school expecting to stay for 1 or 2 years before beco,in a millionaire.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom