New NCAA amateurism model | The Boneyard

New NCAA amateurism model

Reaction Score
This subject is obviously going to be talked about coming up.

So what makes sense going forward. What are the aspects that need to be included.

Players need to receive more compensation. Which players, which sports and from where?
The sports would obviously just be basketball and football.

I dont think schools should pay players, or at least not a lot. All scholarship players could receive a small bump to help with the poor college lifestyle.
That wouldnt upend the current model too much and the NCAA could go for it. Paying every player would be very expensive and hurt smaller schools.

I do think the NCAA should let players receive money from elsewhere though. Agents, endorsements, tournaments, etc. Its a free country and this is the biggest source of corruption. I think all money should be recorded, to the IRS and the NCAA. And there is a cap where say if a player makes over X dollars, their scholarship money goes down.

Also kill one and done. Again its a free country, let college have a little continuity. If you dont do the draft out of high school you need to do two years of college or wait till youre 20 to enter the NBA.

Reaction Score
I dont think schools should pay players, or at least not a lot. All scholarship players could receive a small bump to help with the poor college lifestyle.

What poor college lifestyle are you referring to?

After all your books, fees, tuition is paid for, you get a room for 6 months, all your meals, plus extra food whenever you want it per the new rules, $6k a year in extra cash, and if you're set up with a groundskeeper's job in summer, or washing cars at the local dealership, you have another $4k in cash on hand. We're talking about all your housing, utilities, food needs, all paid for, PLUS $10k.

Seems like a lux college lifestyle to me.

Either you make this a professional concern with no extra benefits outside salary, or you keep it the way it is.

Reaction Score
You cant just pay 2 sports its unfair. Thats why this is screwed no matter what happens.

Reaction Score
Paying players has to be equitable for all players across all college sports. I can't see any scenario where that would be possible to implement.

Reaction Score
What if college scholarships were for 4 or even 5 years instead of one? Each player can keep the money that their scholarship is worth even if they only play one year. So someone like Ayton could leave after one year (if he gets drafted) but gets paid out the remaining 100k or so left on his scholarship. Someone like Phil Nolan who stays all 4 years would not get anything extra besides his scholarship. Of course, there should be all kind of restrictions to prevent lesser players from leaving early just to collect the rest of their money. There’s definitely holes in this idea but at least it pays the players who are really bringing money into the program and the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What poor college lifestyle are you referring to?

After all your books, fees, tuition is paid for, you get a room for 6 months, all your meals, plus extra food whenever you want it per the new rules, $6k a year in extra cash, and if you're set up with a groundskeeper's job in summer, or washing cars at the local dealership, you have another $4k in cash on hand. We're talking about all your housing, utilities, food needs, all paid for, PLUS $10k.

Seems like a lux college lifestyle to me.

Either you make this a professional concern with no extra benefits outside salary, or you keep it the way it is.
Poor lifestyle. Just ask Shabazz Napier. Regular college kids can take on work related to their expertise if they want. Not athletes.

Reaction Score
Paying players has to be equitable for all players across all college sports. I can't see any scenario where that would be possible to implement.
Alright, then pay players a stipend depending on the financial aid status. Kids in Lacrosee, Soccer, volleyball tend to come from higher income families. Basketball and football players are already subsidizing their schollies.

Reaction Score
Why won't the NHL or MLB model work for basketball? I like the NHL model a bit better in the sense that a team can draft a kid, the kid can then go to college or play in the junior leagues and their rights are retained (for a time) by the drafting team. Or, like baseball, let kids from HS go straight into the draft. Then, if they don't sign, they can go to college. If they do sign, but aren't ready to play, they can go to the G League to develop while making a minor league level of income.

Reaction Score
Doing away with the one and done rule would help for sure

Reaction Score
What if college scholarships were for 4 or even 5 years instead of one? Each player can keep the money that their scholarship is worth even if they only play one year. So someone like Ayton could leave after one year (if he gets drafted) but gets paid out the remaining 100k or so left on his scholarship. Someone like Phil Nolan who stays all 4 years would not get anything extra besides his scholarship. Of course, there should be all kind of restrictions to prevent lesser players from leaving early just to collect the rest of their money. There’s definitely holes in this idea but at least it pays the players who are really bringing money into the program and the NCAA.

Scholarships are largely subsidized by endowments, research grants, taxpayer subsidy, so... unless you change the format so that once a scholarship is given for 4 years you can't recruit another player, there's not enough money to do this.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If the NCAA paid the players, there would still be the exact same problem. If the max were $10k, dirty programs would slide another ten or twenty under the twble.

I have no problem with a stipend for expenses, but out right pay would solve nothing.

Reaction Score
Poor lifestyle. Just ask Shabazz Napier. Regular college kids can take on work related to their expertise if they want. Not athletes.

They made changes 3 years ago. AND college athletes can work during the summers.

They can't work during the year, just like scholarship kids on work study or even teaching assistants. It's in their contracts. They can't. When the school gives you a certain amount of money they expect a certain amount of service.

Reaction Score
The new NCAA model should be a combination of youth training systems and junior teams, like every other country in the world that hasn't bizarrely attached athletics to universities.

Reaction Score
Someone else mentioned this yesterday, but go listen to Colin cowherds take on the future. Not sure how reliable his source is, but he claims with 2 years the NBA is looking to bypass the college game. NBA academy’s across the country for 14-17 year olds, then draft into G-league. Same as they have in China. My guess is kids jump on that chance. May cut out AAU clubs and then the NCAA, if still around, would be able to put a 3 year commitment on kids to play if not being drafted out of HS.

Reaction Score
The new NCAA model should be a combination of youth training systems and junior teams, like every other country in the world that hasn't bizarrely attached athletics to universities.
The NCAA will fight that and the fans dont want that. They like the schools and teams they have now.

I agree, paying players is problematic, but they should be able to earn money on their name. All sports would be on equal footing then and it would take the hypocrisy out of college sports. The whole concept of amateurism needs to go.

Reaction Score
You also have title IX to consider. If you pay football and basketball you also need to pay women’s basketball and 85 other woman athletes.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA paid the players, there would still be the exact same problem. If the max were $10k, dirty programs would slide another ten or twenty under the twble.

I have no problem with a stipend for expenses, but out right pay would solve nothing.

This.

Catering to the cheaters solves nothing and will make things worse. Making college sports "professional" will kill the golden goose.

Maybe they should start enforcing the darn rules and handing out harsh punishments. The NCAA needs to be completely reformed and cheaters need to be thrown out of the sport.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
1. Allow a 10k stipend for student athletes (even non-scholarship)

2. Allow athletes to accept payment from agents

temery

What?
Reaction Score
1. Allow a 10k stipend for student athletes (even non-scholarship)

2. Allow athletes to accept payment from agents

A stipend equal to what a school pays for a work study job - yes.

I still think the best solution is to make all scholarships for four years. If a school wants a one and done, they'd pay the price with an empty scholarship for the remaining years. Personally, I'd love to see the school to be required to give the remaining years to a disadvantaged kid, but that may be too much.

Reaction Score
You also have title IX to consider. If you pay football and basketball you also need to pay women’s basketball and 85 other woman athletes.

That's why it will never be the schools that are paying the kids.

IF (and I'm not sure it will ever happen) the kids were to be paid it would be the individual athletes making their own deals with agents and apparel companies. That eliminates any Title IX issues. If Nike decides they want to pay women's hoops players or for that matter volleyball players that's their call, not the schools

At that point all the NCAA can do is try and enforce the academic side of the equation.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
A stipend equal to what a school pays for a work study job - yes.

I still think the best solution is to make all scholarships for four years. If a school wants a one and done, they'd pay the price with an empty scholarship for the remaining years. Personally, I'd love to see the school to be required to give the remaining years to a disadvantaged kid, but that may be too much.
This is a pretty great idea, though it may end up punishing schools that do a good job of developing underrated players – Jeremy Lamb-style gets, you know?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Why won't the NHL or MLB model work for basketball? I like the NHL model a bit better in the sense that a team can draft a kid, the kid can then go to college or play in the junior leagues and their rights are retained (for a time) by the drafting team. Or, like baseball, let kids from HS go straight into the draft. Then, if they don't sign, they can go to college. If they do sign, but aren't ready to play, they can go to the G League to develop while making a minor league level of income.

Basketball needs to go the hockey route. Not the Baseball route.

Reaction Score
Someone else mentioned this yesterday, but go listen to Colin cowherds take on the future. Not sure how reliable his source is, but he claims with 2 years the NBA is looking to bypass the college game. NBA academy’s across the country for 14-17 year olds, then draft into G-league. Same as they have in China. My guess is kids jump on that chance. May cut out AAU clubs and then the NCAA, if still around, would be able to put a 3 year commitment on kids to play if not being drafted out of HS.

$$$
Does the NBA have the money for this?
Soccer surely doesn't because pay to play is a joke when it come to soccer.

Reaction Score
I don't think that NBA plan will work, not with the money march madness brings, I doubt Vegas would allow it.

Reaction Score
I know kids in Italy that have been through both soccer and basketball academies. I'm not sure the USA would be prepared for such a drastic change. In many European countries, you have a stronger social welfare system. Which is why I think the academies show very little interest in their athlete's education. Tough being jettisoned from these academies when you're 16-18 and have little to fall back on. But that's how they do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom