New Hockey Barn Concept Art/Floor Plan on Display? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Hockey Barn Concept Art/Floor Plan on Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great place to see games but it would need to be TDBSC on steroids. TD Bank seats only 3,600 for basketball and 3,400 for hockey.

It cost like $55m to build back in 2007,

Maybe a more recent budget/size example would be the new facility at RIT ... 30 to 35 mil and 4,500 capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Polisseni_Center
That makes sense.

Don't forget (from a cost perspective) TDBSC has a separate basketball court and a separate rink that share center concourse/concessions, etc...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hate to be a killjoy, because a new rink is an exciting thing, but that rendering to my eye looks like a bare bones facility. I seriously doubt the money for those sky boxes will ever happen.

I would prefer a steeper rake to the stands and an aesthetic that feels more closed in, but this is an artist's rendering designed to tickle donors and show off in board meetings, so I take it all with a grain of salt.
So it already looks to be bare bones and there is no money for what you see here?

Reaction Score
If I am wrong on this please correct me, but I remember part of the upgrade requirement from HE was that UCONN had to build an on-campus facility with a capacity of at least 5000. That was gonna be the minimum, even though a fair amount of HE schools have facilities that hold less than that. ND's new facility holds 5,022.

Reaction Score
I just hope they're also building it to meet all B1G requirements.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to finish #1 in the B1G. 25 years from now.

Reaction Score
Take away the skyboxes and that's basically Quinnipiac's rink.

TDBNSC-Ice-Hockey-2009.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn's new facility would have to be bigger than the TD Bank Center because it only seats about 3,400. TDBC does have a small club area up top in the corner over the lobby, but there are no individual boxes. .

Reaction Score
It's going to be significantly bigger. Seems as if UConn really wants to make build a very strong program in college hockey. About time.

Reaction Score
An outdoor rink that the players despised as the worst ice they ever skated on. The chemical treatments they need to prevent the sun from melting ice gummed everything up.

There are outdoor rinks everywhere. Not fit for top shelf hockey however.
I know this was said about the ice at Yankee Stadium, but on NHL radio on Sirius/XM it was reported that the ice in LA was really good. A glass roof on this new facility would not be a good idea.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are no architectural clues to be gleaned from that drawing. It's just a what-if.

I have no idea what is gonna happen in terms of hockey - we still have to deal with soccer and baseball who have facilities that are way behind the times.

Not sure where the money is coming from...

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are no architectural clues to be gleaned from that drawing. It's just a what-if.

I have no idea what is gonna happen in terms of hockey - we still have to deal with soccer and baseball who have facilities that are way behind the times.

Not sure where the money is coming from...
There was a pre-season article on baseball..I think in the Hartford Courant, and in the article Penders makes a statement that the coaches have been told that the hockey facility is next due to the requirements of the HE upgrade. As for the soccer stadium move...watch for that soon, especially with the way Diaco has been moving. The soccer stadium and ftbl practice field will swap places, with the football practice field butted up to Schenkman making it look like a T. This will allow them to go from practicing outdoors to indoors in 5-10 min tops.

Reaction Score
What I had heard originally was that the new hockey barn was going more or less on the Frietas site and that soccer stadium would move but not not too far. basically closer to Shenkman. Someone posted (maybe in this thread, that the hockey rink would be built near the new student rec complex. The problem with rebuilding on the Frietas site is that you lose Freitas potentially for a couple of seasons. That would not be good for developing a program. You also have an issue with Soccer locker rooms and facilities unless they are included in any relocation.

Reaction Score
There was a pre-season article on baseball..I think in the Hartford Courant, and in the article Penders makes a statement that the coaches have been told that the hockey facility is next due to the requirements of the HE upgrade. As for the soccer stadium move...watch for that soon, especially with the way Diaco has been moving. The soccer stadium and ftbl practice field will swap places, with the football practice field butted up to Schenkman making it look like a T. This will allow them to go from practicing outdoors to indoors in 5-10 min tops.

I have also heard from some Alumni that the soccer fields are going to move up to Hilltop where the football practice facilities are. Once concern is if there is enough room for a varsity women's/men's stadium with stands, lockers, and office and 2 full practice fields for each team. My personal concern is that I would not want to be a keeper punting into the wind up on Hilltop, which I know can be a bear.

Reaction Score
I have also heard from some Alumni that the soccer fields are going to move up to Hilltop where the football practice facilities are. Once concern is if there is enough room for a varsity women's/men's stadium with stands, lockers, and office and 2 full practice fields for each team. My personal concern is that I would not want to be a keeper punting into the wind up on Hilltop, which I know can be a bear.

Here's the proposed athletic facilities layout. The softball field has to be relocated before any other development begins.

http://uconn2011report.thepitagroup.com/new-potential/athletic-development-center-campus/

Reaction Score
Here's the proposed athletic facilities layout. The softball field has to be relocated before any other development begins.

http://uconn2011report.thepitagroup.com/new-potential/athletic-development-center-campus/

Thanks.
That is different. I did not know that the new soccer field is slated for the location of the old field hockey field (I think soccer practice is there now) while the soccer practice facilities will be moved up to Hilltop. It’s too late now; but, I had hope that the new soccer game field could have been moved to where Memorial Stadium is and they could have simply moved the basketball practice facility back to where the new softball field is schooled to go.
I still wish that UConn just spends the money now and build a hockey/basketball comp arena on campus, call it 12K for basketball and used the bottom half (5K) for hockey. Scheduling would not be an issue as the Basketball practice facility and the current ice rink can be used for that. The XL can be used for games in the roughly 2 year period it would take to build it where Gampel is today or possibly over in Storrs Center.

Reaction Score
I just hope they're also building it to meet all B1G requirements.

Maybe if we join the B1G Flag football or B1G arena Football, but I think it's a longshot we'll be in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Maybe if we join the B1G Flag football or B1G arena Football, but I think it's a longshot we'll be in the B1G.
Any updates on the new UConn rink ? Location on campus ? Time frame for completition ?

Reaction Score
Wow, wait so playing at the XL center is a temporary solution? Or are they going to split their home games like the bball teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom