OT: - New Grill Advice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: New Grill Advice

Reaction Score
I had the same exact grill. I replaced the wood slats and burners and it still worked fine but the grease tray on the bottom finally rusted off and I decided to get a new one when we built an addition on our deck around six years ago. I put the old grill on the side of the house while debating what to do with it and the next day my lawn guy asked if he could take it. He said it's still going great.

Replacing it was a bit of a PITA because now you either go down to the Spirit, which imo is not as good, or up to the new Genesis line, which I believe requires the side burner--at least I couldn't find one without one at the time. I went up to the new Genesis,which has been fine, but like others have noted the side burner is a waste and you pay a lot more for that line.
you can find after market "flavor bars" for Weber grills on ebay that are a heavier gauge steel than the originals. Cheaper even with shipping, last longer

At some point the bars on my Genesis were rusted badly. One Sunday I’m driving and I see a beat up Genesis left free on the side of the road. The grates and bars were in great shape and I grabbed them and drove off. Huge score.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Any one used/bought a Kamado style one? Good ones cost 1.5K+, which make one very hesitant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any one used/bought a Kamado style one? Good ones cost 1.5K+, which make one very hesitant.
Friends of ours have one. Seems a bit much to me but they like it obviously, and the lamb chops they grilled on them were tremendous.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Friends of ours have one. Seems a bit much to me but they like it obviously, and the lamb chops they grilled on them were tremendous.
You had to say lamb chops, didn't you. I also hear one can do pizza very well on them, although my skills at good pizza dough are not the same as the rest of my culinary repertoire.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You had to say lamb chops, didn't you.
Lollipops. I ate so many I became self-conscious and started looking at their plates to see how many bones they had.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Has anyone tried or bought the flat iron or flat top grills? Not looking to buy one for myself, just curious is anyone has gone this route.

I have a four burner gas grill for most of my grilling and I took the grate off the far right side and replaced it was a cast iron flat iron griddle. Never turn on the far right burner other than making sure it works, but rather use it for holding food or searing it for final presentation. Like that there are no flare ups and by keeping it on indirect heat, no hot spots.

im 5 weeks into a 14” camp chef. Its got its issues but does everything i need it to do at our camper. Ive got an older weber charcoal kettle to fill in the gaps like cooking steaks.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
For Propane, the Weber Genesis II is hard to beat. I got mine at a local BBQ shop, because that allowed me to get the black exterior and stainless interior parts. Big box stores don't sell that model. Has been superb. Replaced another Genesis I had for 15 years, which still worked. I gave that away.

Key with Weber is that everything in it can be replaced piecemeal quite easily. Parts are everywhere.
I have the same grill and color. Bought it at Page Hardware in Guilford. Replaced my 18-year old entry-level grill only because i needed more grilling area for my annual HopiFest family outing.

I have the bad habit of leaving the cover open without knowing rain is coming.

Reaction Score
I bought a Weber and I loved it for quite a few years, but now it is about 7-8 years old and nothing works. The flavor bars are shot, the igniter doesn’t work, the flame tubes never fully ignite and despite being under cover, it has rust and corrosion. I will consider a Broil King. They get great reviews and are purposely designed to hassle Weber.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I bought a Weber and I loved it for quite a few years, but now it is about 7-8 years old and nothing works. The flavor bars are shot, the igniter doesn’t work, the flame tubes never fully ignite and despite being under cover, it has rust and corrosion. I will consider a Broil King. They get great reviews and are purposely designed to hassle Weber.
Some people will argue otherwise, but my Weber salesman said don’t use a grill cover as it traps moisture which can cause rust. For your other issues, keep the grill clean and if necessary buy Weber replacement parts.

Reaction Score
Some people will argue otherwise, but my Weber salesman said don’t use a grill cover as it traps moisture which can cause rust. For your other issues, keep the grill clean and if necessary buy Weber replacement parts.

It is covered by the roof of my house. It is in an “outdoor living room”. I am going grill shopping and I am going to make a game time decision. My feeling is that Weber has cheapened materials.

There is a possibility that salt air has played a role, but durability has been totally disappointing. It has been just a hair better then a Charbroil.

Reaction Score
It is covered by the roof of my house. It is in an “outdoor living room”. I am going grill shopping and I am going to make a game time decision. My feeling is that Weber has cheapened materials.

There is a possibility that salt air has played a role, but durability has been totally disappointing. It has been just a hair better then a Charbroil.
The grill cover traps humidity and can cause rust. My Weber grill is out in the open and gets rained and snowed on. The grill dries in the sun and air and doesn’t stay wet.

Reaction Score
You had to say lamb chops, didn't you. I also hear one can do pizza very well on them, although my skills at good pizza dough are not the same as the rest of my culinary repertoire.
I cracked mine cooking a pizza on it. It was a cool, wet day and I think conditions had something to do with it.

Reaction Score
The grill cover traps humidity and can cause rust. My Weber grill is out in the open and gets rained and snowed on. The grill dries in the sun and air and doesn’t stay wet.

I’m saying, I don’t use a grill cover. However, the grill isn’t even out in the elements. It is under roof.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I’m saying, I don’t use a grill cover. However, the grill isn’t even out in the elements. It is under roof.
Are you near salt water and is the grill a Spirit? The Spirits are a little less robust than the Genesis.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Makes sense, but regardless of truth, a CharBroil should not rust out inside of 5-7 years when a Weber lasts 3x that time cared for in the same manner.

Reaction Score
This.....My 14 year old charmglow has never seen a grill cover and has been left out in the elements. The only rust is the magnet to keep the doors closed and the casters.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You can get them for less than that, size depending. I may replace my now rusting Masterbuilt electric smoker with one. Will probably use it for smoking and as a winter grill. Propane grills suck in the winter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips on the grill cover. Mine is beat to crap with holes and wear spots and Mrs. 8893 and the girls were going to get me a new one for Father's Day. You all have convinced me I am better off with none, so I just put the kabosh on the new one and I'm going to throw away the old one when I get home tonight.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips on the grill cover. Mine is beat to crap with holes and wear spots and Mrs. 8893 and the girls were going to get me a new one for Father's Day. You all have convinced me I am better off with none, so I just put the kabosh on the new one and I'm going to throw away the old one when I get home tonight.
I think that is true for covers with holes in them. If moisture is allowed to seep through a cover, it tends to get trapped.

As soon as my Weber is cool, typical time frame is from when I turn off the gas and finsih my meal, I will replace the cover. If any rain should fall in the mean time, I leave it off until the water dries.

Be that as it may, it doesn't explain how a CharBroil rusts through so quickly, where a Weber lasts for a generation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think that is true for covers with holes in them. If moisture is allowed to seep through a cover, it tends to get trapped.

As soon as my Weber is cool, typical time frame is from when I turn off the gas and finsih my meal, I will replace the cover. If any rain should fall in the mean time, I leave it off until the water dries.

Be that as it may, it doesn't explain how a CharBroil rusts through so quickly, where a Weber lasts for a generation.
That's also how I've used my cover, but as I understand the advice others say they have gotten from their grill dealers, they say it's better without any cover at all.

Reaction Score

I only use my Weber cover if it is going a long period without use (i.e. we're going to get heavy snowfall or I'm going away for a week or more). Grill is seven years old. I've replaced the heat plates (top and bottom) and the starter, and I'm starting to see some rust.

That said, I do appreciate the irony of "Weber salesman suggests course of action that would require purchasing of Weber parts"

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The covers do suck and are overpriced. They are not waterproof and rip at the corners. I use a 6' * 8' tarp ($5 at lowes/h.depot) over mine, held by a couple of bungee cords. Doesn't look gr8, but this cover has lasted five years and grill (Weber) is still in pristine condition

Reaction Score
I used to buy cheaper grills and then had to replace them about every 5 years. Then 23 years ago I got a Weber Genesis Silver B and it lasted for 20 years. I replaced the grates and the flavor bars once during that time. It still was working but we decided to replace it because it was starting to show its age. We got another Weber 3 years ago, can't remember what it's called but it looks like this so that must be the one. I'd highly recommend a Weber grill if you're looking for durability for the price.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Since there are numerous other OT threads about the outdoors, I figured I would add to the congestion.

I am in the market for a new grill. I am looking at getting a gas grill, no charcoal, just like the ease of using gas.

I've been looking for a little while already and a couple of brands I am familiar with already.

Weber is a great grill, from what I've heard. Are they worth the extra price?
Char-Broil- currently own an infrared model and the grates rotted out of it. Have they gotten better in the last 6-7 years.

Every big box store has there own version. Don't necessarily want to spend too much, but might be willing to go to $1000 or so.

What do you own? How long have you had it? Would you buy it again? How much was it, if willing to say?

Thanks.

So weird you say that ... I didn’t check this thread but just this weekend I ordered replacement grates bc mine started to rust and chip off.

I have a Char Broil, and it’s probably 4-5 years old. That’s really my only complaint, it’s a fairly standard 4 burner gas grill and it’s done the job for my basic grilling.

Edit: wish I read this whole thread, great info. But it’s also making me consider buying new one when mine works fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom