OT: - New Grill Advice | The Boneyard

OT: New Grill Advice

Reaction Score
Since there are numerous other OT threads about the outdoors, I figured I would add to the congestion.

I am in the market for a new grill. I am looking at getting a gas grill, no charcoal, just like the ease of using gas.

I've been looking for a little while already and a couple of brands I am familiar with already.

Weber is a great grill, from what I've heard. Are they worth the extra price?
Char-Broil- currently own an infrared model and the grates rotted out of it. Have they gotten better in the last 6-7 years.

Every big box store has there own version. Don't necessarily want to spend too much, but might be willing to go to $1000 or so.

What do you own? How long have you had it? Would you buy it again? How much was it, if willing to say?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
I'm looking at the Weber 3 burner one that's $499. Will proly wait for a sale come end of summer. I also had a Charbroil which rotted.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have a three burner Weber. It was a Fathers Day gift but cost in the neighborhood of $400-500. It replaced a 4 burner (+ rarely used side burner) Char-Broil that disintegrated before my eyes over about 7 years.

The Weber is about 6 years old and still going strong under moderate use (2-3 times/week) and stored outside.

Reaction Score
I have a three burner Weber. It was a Fathers Day gift but cost in the neighborhood of $400-500. It replaced a 4 burner (+ rarely used side burner) Char-Broil that disintegrated before my eyes over about 7 years.

The Weber is about 6 years old and still going strong under moderate use (2-3 times/week) and stored outside.

The Spirit E-310 or E-315? Do you use a cover for it?

Poe

Reaction Score
Got the Weber spirit II e-310 last summer, so far so good. It was $449 at Lowes, but you can buy a 10% off coupon on eBay for $1-2, and save $40 bucks or so.

Reaction Score
The Spirit E-310 or E-315? Do you use a cover for it?

I've had mine for so long I've forgotten when I bought it. I dispensed with the cover - it's used all year in upstate NY. I've had to replace burners, "flavor bars" and grates, but it's still cooking and cooking pretty darn well. Of course, I know the hot spots which makes a big difference.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Since there are numerous other OT threads about the outdoors, I figured I would add to the congestion.

I am in the market for a new grill. I am looking at getting a gas grill, no charcoal, just like the ease of using gas.

I've been looking for a little while already and a couple of brands I am familiar with already.

Weber is a great grill, from what I've heard. Are they worth the extra price?
Char-Broil- currently own an infrared model and the grates rotted out of it. Have they gotten better in the last 6-7 years.

Every big box store has there own version. Don't necessarily want to spend too much, but might be willing to go to $1000 or so.

What do you own? How long have you had it? Would you buy it again? How much was it, if willing to say?

Thanks.
Well, if you aren't interested in charcoal, this probably won't help much but I can't help myself when people are looking at grills.

Look at pellet smoker/grills. Traeger is the brand I chose. They can go anywhere from about $500 to $2000 so you can find something in your price range. They can do grilling, smoking, baking.

Look into them - it may change your mind.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a 3 burner Weber Spirit with the “sear station” and the auxiliary burner that I’m not sure I have or ever will use. It was about $650 a couple years ago but my wife’s grandparents got it for us. I had a crappy hand me down before that which was a battle every time. I grill at least twice a week April-October and it lights the first time every time and no hotspots and easy to control the temp. Webers are definitely 3x the cost of, let’s say a CharKing or whatever but have 0 the aggravation and will last you forever with basic upkeep vs burning through a grill every couple years. It’s an investment. When I grow up I want a Big Green Egg.

edit: it’s the spirit e-330

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Get a Weber, I have maybe a 2002 Genesis Silver that is still on original burners and the cover was lost years ago. Use it all year round if the snow isn’t too deep. Only upgrade is aluminum GrillGrate’s over the original grates.

Reaction Score
I had a char broil. Thing fell apart after 2 years of use. After that got a Weber Genesis 310.. something like that. I have had it for like 8 years now. Thing just keeps on going and shows no signs of falling apart. I have had to replace the fire shield things once, but that's it. If you keep it covered up when not using it will last even longer (I almost never cover mine). Cooks really good too. Nice and evenly, minimal flare ups. Honestly it's nothing special but the thing is built to last and do what you need it for.

Reaction Score
Well, if you aren't interested in charcoal, this probably won't help much but I can't help myself when people are looking at grills.

Look at pellet smoker/grills. Traeger is the brand I chose. They can go anywhere from about $500 to $2000 so you can find something in your price range. They can do grilling, smoking, baking.

Look into them - it may change your mind.

Ok. I have some questions regarding a pellet grill. I'm not necessarily opposed to one, just don't know much about them.

1. How long does it take to warm up? Does is get as hot as gas? Does it take longer to cook food?

2. You prefer this type of grill over a gas grill?

3. Is Traeger "THE" brand when it comes to pellet grills?

4. What model of traeger do you have?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
For that budget, it's hard to beat a Weber for a basic gas grill. They last forever, almost never break, and you can always service them. A friend of mine still has my first Weber grill, and at 20 years old the push button igniter still works every time. I agree w/ Dream Jobbed that a side burner is a waste. I've used mine once, save your money on that

I over-research everything, and last fall I wanted a pellet grill. I got to use a friend's Traeger, and decided on a Camp Chef DLX after reading a thousand reviews. Less money than Traeger across the product line, and seemed like better reviews overall. A big part of my decision was because you can buy a gas "sear box" attachment for it for under $200, and you have the best of both worlds. The sear box probably gets 50-100 degrees hotter than any Weber gas grill I've ever owned. It's a great combo. Smoke or grill something over wood (pellets) for as low an long as you want, then sear the hell out of is 6 inches away. awesome. I haven't used my 3-burner (+ sear station) Weber grill once since getting the pellet grill.

The pellet grill takes a little longer to heat than a gas grill, but we're still talking under a half hour.

If anyone here wants a screaming deal on a new-in-box Camp Chef sear box (as in, you pay for me to ship it, and it's yours) PM me....looong story.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Or just do it right and buy a Yoder.
cimarron-pellet-competition-smoker-01.jpg

Reaction Score
I have a 1996 Weber Genesis. This is a stock picture. Mine looks a little worse than this one but not by much.

Lights on the first click every time. I've had to replace the wooden slats from rotting and that's it. Thing is an absolute tank and I can cook just about anything blindfolded with it. I'll never, ever get rid of it.

da182f2289fd75cae675c702063a068d.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a 1996 Weber Genesis. This is a stock picture. Mine looks a little worse than this one but not by much.

Lights on the first click every time. I've had to replace the wooden slats from rotting and that's it. Thing is an absolute tank and I can cook just about anything blindfolded with it. I'll never, ever get rid of it.

da182f2289fd75cae675c702063a068d.jpg
I had the same exact grill. I replaced the wood slats and burners and it still worked fine but the grease tray on the bottom finally rusted off and I decided to get a new one when we built an addition on our deck around six years ago. I put the old grill on the side of the house while debating what to do with it and the next day my lawn guy asked if he could take it. He said it's still going great.

Replacing it was a bit of a PITA because now you either go down to the Spirit, which imo is not as good, or up to the new Genesis line, which I believe requires the side burner--at least I couldn't find one without one at the time. I went up to the new Genesis,which has been fine, but like others have noted the side burner is a waste and you pay a lot more for that line.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Has anyone tried or bought the flat iron or flat top grills? Not looking to buy one for myself, just curious is anyone has gone this route.

I have a four burner gas grill for most of my grilling and I took the grate off the far right side and replaced it was a cast iron flat iron griddle. Never turn on the far right burner other than making sure it works, but rather use it for holding food or searing it for final presentation. Like that there are no flare ups and by keeping it on indirect heat, no hot spots.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried or bought the flat iron or flat top grills? Not looking to buy one for myself, just curious is anyone has gone this route.

I have a four burner gas grill for most of my grilling and I took the grate off the far right side and replaced it was a cast iron flat iron griddle. Never turn on the far right burner other than making sure it works, but rather use it for holding food or searing it for final presentation. Like that there are no flare ups and by keeping it on indirect heat, no hot spots.
The center circle grate of the E-310 can be replaced with a flat iron piece, but I rarely use it. Quite heavy to boot.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I've had a Char Broil. Lasted about three years before it burned our. Next was a Ducane. Absolutely a great little grill. Next up was a Napolean - made in Canada. Great grill with the infra red burner. 16 years later its still going strong. One of our sons has it.

We moved to Florida 3.5 years ago and purchase a 3 burner Weber Genesis - no side burner. Great grill. Holds temps really well. Cast iron grates! Paid around $650.00. That included set up and delivery.

So I would go with the Weber.

Reaction Score
For that budget, it's hard to beat a Weber for a basic gas grill. They last forever, almost never break, and you can always service them. A friend of mine still has my first Weber grill, and at 20 years old the push button igniter still works every time. I agree w/ Dream Jobbed that a side burner is a waste. I've used mine once, save your money on that

I over-research everything, and last fall I wanted a pellet grill. I got to use a friend's Traeger, and decided on a Camp Chef DLX after reading a thousand reviews. Less money than Traeger across the product line, and seemed like better reviews overall. A big part of my decision was because you can buy a gas "sear box" attachment for it for under $200, and you have the best of both worlds. The sear box probably gets 50-100 degrees hotter than any Weber gas grill I've ever owned. It's a great combo. Smoke or grill something over wood (pellets) for as low an long as you want, then sear the hell out of is 6 inches away. awesome. I haven't used my 3-burner (+ sear station) Weber grill once since getting the pellet grill.

The pellet grill takes a little longer to heat than a gas grill, but we're still talking under a half hour.

If anyone here wants a screaming deal on a new-in-box Camp Chef sear box (as in, you pay for me to ship it, and it's yours) PM me....looong story.

If you're in CT and like to grill in the Winter I would highly recommend a grill with some infrared or searing option. It's tough getting to optimal temps for steaks when the chill sets in.

Reaction Score
I have the Weber Genesis 4 burner (one is sear). Bought the smoker side cage for smoking. Use the sear and smoker a lot. Smoker for mostly chicken. Real smoking goes in Mastercraft. Love the grill. Cost was around $900 I think? Thought about buying the rotisserie add on but have not as of yet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If you're in CT and like to grill in the Winter I would highly recommend a grill with some infrared or searing option. It's tough getting to optimal temps for steaks when the chill sets in.
In my experience, grilling in the winter is less about the chill and more about the strength of the breeze. The wind disrupts the flow of fuel and oxygen, which makes the flame far less efficient.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I had an old Weber that I couldn't kill even after 25 years. My cheapness makes it impossible for me to buy something new, when the old one is still working. I bought it as a natural gas version because i had an outdoor hookup at the old house. When I moved, I had to switch to a propane tank. I emailed Weber and they sent me the parts I needed to convert FOR FREE. No questions asked. That impressed me. I was finally able to get rid of it because a family of rodents took up residence in it over the winter and my wife refused to eat anything cooked on it ever again. Got some monster 4-burner weber as a replacement 3-4 years ago. Worth every cent. I leave it out, covered all winter, just like the last one. At one point, there was a difference between the big-box versions and the local dealer, like Ace Hardware. Ace had the stainless steel grates as standard and the big box had cast iron or that coated crap. I don't know if that is still the case. I bought mine from Larson Ace Hardware in Canton (great people). It was assembled and delivered for free and they took the old one away. EDIT: And I put a bag of moth balls in it over the winter to keep the varmints out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom