New! CT Scoreboard Pod with Joe Lunardi | The Boneyard

New! CT Scoreboard Pod with Joe Lunardi

Reaction Score
Nice job .. When Joe L is bustin' on you.. You know you got something goin' on..

Special favor.. Need to do a Zoom call with @August_West and Joe.. I'm worried that AW is about to do something silly/irrational because he's worried about our guards.. Can you help the Yard with this ?? JK-LOL

BTW.. I'm with Joe.. I think UConn could run the table goin' into BET

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Nice job .. When Joe L is bustin' on you.. You know you got something goin' on..

Special favor.. Need to do a Zoom call with @August_West and Joe.. I'm worried that AW is about to do something silly/irrational because he's worried about our guards.. Can you help the Yard with this ?? JK-LOL

BTW.. I'm with Joe.. I think UConn could run the table goin' into BET
I’ll be fine. :).

I’m just in “ fool me a dozen times, shame on me “ portion of the season , I wish I was like the saying and stopped at twice.

Reaction Score
@gwhuskyfan perhaps I need to rewind it but did he mention that we are likely to be in Albany but not likely to be in in the East/MSG region? I assumed everyone who plays in Albany is in the East Region.

Reaction Score
@gwhuskyfan perhaps I need to rewind it but did he mention that we are likely to be in Albany but not likely to be in in the East/MSG region? I assumed everyone who plays in Albany is in the East Region.
Yes similar to last year we were in the West region and played our opening round in Buffalo. Providence was in the Midwest and played their opening round in Buffalo

Reaction Score
Enjoyed that....nice job. Joe has a good grasp of UConn.

Interesting about MSG prospects and being dependent on how many Big 12 teams are hovering in 3/4 seed range that need to split in different regions.

Ofcourse UConn would need to get out of Albany first if there so that's top of list before anything else.

Reaction Score
Yeah they disentangled the "pod" cities from the regionals. Makes it easier to protect the top seeds for the first few rounds while adhering to the bracketing principles that may force them into a random regional.

Reaction Score
He didn't really answer the metrics question about how it could impact our seeding, just explained how our metrics are calculated and how they are still high. He may think it'll work itself out (we'll play up to them the remainder of the season or they'll come down to us if we play mediocre).

If we stay top 8 in the metrics, I'll be pretty curious how the committee does treat them.

Reaction Score
FWIW.. My interpretation of what Joe was saying is.. The value to UConn-- of MSG court--is much more significant to us than to have to travel (instead of playing in Albany) for the first weekend. ..As per his example--By virtue of a comparably seeded Big 12 team coming to Albany --thereby bumping UConn out of an Albany seeding position-- He felt we could still play well enough to get to MSG for the second weekend. The example that was used (hypothetically) was going to Vegas in first weekend instead of Albany. Home run if Albany-MSG.

All subject to change and surprises are going to happen.. Strictly speculation on his part prior to end of season/BET results.

My takeaway was that Joe could see UConn making it to their second home (his words) at MSG for the second weekend..

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Got some time with Joe Lunardi today to talk UConn and our March paths. Also get into the Big East from a national perspective. Check it out! Audio out in the AM

You look like you have no neck for about 10% of that video. I found myself entirely too entertained by that 10% while watching.

Well done again, btw.

Reaction Score
The example that was used (hypothetically) was going to Vegas in first weekend instead of Albany. Homerun if Albany-MSG.
They wouldn't be going to Vegas until the Sweet16. The first and second round games aren't being held in Vegas, only the West regional

Reaction Score
I posted CT Scoreboard at 6:25 this morning, my thread got high jacked. WTF. :-p

Reaction Score
They wouldn't be going to Vegas until the Sweet16. The first and second round games aren't being held in Vegas, only the West regional
Was example used in pod ..Not mine..Think their point was someplace other than Albany to support their idea.

Reaction Score
Was example used in pod ..Not mine
You must've misunderstood, that wasn't the example given. The example he gave was UConn going to another location for round 1 and 2 (i.e. OH, IA, FL) and ending up at MSG for the Regional.

Reaction Score
FWIW.. My interpretation of what Joe was saying is.. The value to UConn-- of MSG court--is much more significant to us than to have to travel (instead of playing in Albany) for the first weekend. ..As per his example--By virtue of a comparably seeded Big 12 team coming to Albany --thereby bumping UConn out of an Albany seeding position-- He felt we could still play well enough to get to MSG for the second weekend. The example that was used (hypothetically) was going to Vegas in first weekend instead of Albany. Home run if Albany-MSG.

All subject to change and surprises are going to happen.. Strictly speculation on his part prior to end of season/BET results.

My takeaway was that Joe could see UConn making it to their second home (his words) at MSG for the second weekend..
Vegas is the West Regional (3rd & 4th rds)....Joe L was saying Albany is very likely for first 2 rounds but MSG is more precarious for 3rd & 4th. Vegas or any other Regional besides MSG may be more likely after Albany. All dependent on how UConn finishes up season....outside shot at 2 seed if win BET so if UConn a 2 or 3 seed maybe more likely to stay in East.

Everything is IF's right now depending on how next month goes so who knows....let's just make the Sweet 16, could be in Alaska for all I care.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You must've misunderstood, that wasn't the example given. The example he gave was UConn going to another location for round 1 and 2 (i.e. OH, IA, FL) and ending up at MSG for the Regional.
I understood them to say..A potential for a non-Albany site -- for first weekend --If the right combination of things went down.. And then on to MSG.. They did not say a Vegas site for second weekend instead of MSG..

Believe based on your correction of your above post(to MSG) that we are agreeing

The choice of Vegas was theirs not mine.

Reaction Score
To clarify, I had asked so Albany could lead to Vegas... to which his answer was yes. He was a lot more confident in Albany R1/2 than MSG for the next weekend.
Thanks for clarification.. What I thought I heard was apparently misinterpreted by me.. My bad.

Reaction Score
I understood them to say..A potential for a non-Albany site -- for first weekend --If the right combination of things went down.. And then on to MSG.. They did not say a Vegas site for second weekend instead of MSG..

Believe based on your correction of your above post(to MSG) that we are agreeing

The choice of Vegas was theirs not mine.
Go back and listen...Vegas was just thrown out as an example of another Regional besides MSG. The first 2 rounds they try to keep every school as close as possible to home regardless of seeding...hence likelihood of Alabany.

Reaction Score
Go back and listen...Vegas was just thrown out as an example of another Regional besides MSG. The first 2 rounds they try to keep every school as close as possible to home regardless of seeding...hence likelihood of Alabany.
My interpretation was wrong.. Not dying on this hill.. Beat Seton Hill

Reaction Score
Lunardi seems to indicate that UConn's chance of MSG for the regional is going to be heavily based on how UConn finishes season but also what happens in the Big 12.

The rule is if you face a team 3 times during the season you can't face them until the Elite Eight. If you face a team 2 times during the season you can't face them until the Sweet Sixteen.

So taking that into account, assuming the 6 really good teams at the top of the Big 12 are going to face each other a 3rd time in some cases in the Big 12 tournament., meaning let's say Kansas as a 1 seed cannot have a Big 12 team be a 4 or a 5 in their region so they would have to go somewhere outside the Midwest. At the same time take a Iowa State that is right around a 4 seed today cannot face Kansas State or Texas or Baylor or Kansas or TCU until the Sweet Sixteen or later.

This is a long winded way of saying it's going to get crowded in the Midwest, West and South regionals. Today, the schools that most conflict with UConn being a 4 or 5 in the West are Iowa State and TCU.

What I take from all of this is we need those schools to drop out a bit to more 6 seed or later so as to not interfere with UConn's placement while UConn needs to finish strong and secure a 4 seed or better and ensure placement in Albany at a minimum.

Might be other solutions to takeaway from this, but that's the easiest path to Albany / MSG: win and root against ISU, TCU and even Kansas State to an extent. ISU has lost 4 of their last 5, Kansas State has lost 3 of their last 4, and TCU has lost 4 of their last 5. All with worse NET and KP than UConn; all getting destroyed by their own conference. One of whom already lost head to head v UConn.

Another thing UConn has going for it as Lunardi notes is UConn is the only good team in the northeast. So the Big 12 (and UConn itself) are the only impediments.

Feel free to poke holes in this logic since I do not know all the intricacies of bracketology.

Reaction Score
Lunardi seems to indicate that UConn's chance of MSG for the regional is going to be heavily based on how UConn finishes season but also what happens in the Big 12.

The rule is if you face a team 3 times during the season you can't face them until the Elite Eight. If you face a team 2 times during the season you can't face them until the Sweet Sixteen.

So taking that into account, assuming the 6 really good teams at the top of the Big 12 are going to face each other a 3rd time in some cases in the Big 12 tournament., meaning let's say Kansas as a 1 seed cannot have a Big 12 team be a 4 or a 5 in their region so they would have to go somewhere outside the Midwest. At the same time take a Iowa State that is right around a 4 seed today cannot face Kansas State or Texas or Baylor or Kansas or TCU until the Sweet Sixteen or later.

This is a long winded way of saying it's going to get crowded in the Midwest, West and South regionals. Today, the schools that most conflict with UConn being a 4 or 5 in the West are Iowa State and TCU.

What I take from all of this is we need those schools to drop out a bit to more 6 seed or later so as to not interfere with UConn's placement while UConn needs to finish strong and secure a 4 seed or better and ensure placement in Albany at a minimum.

Might be other solutions to takeaway from this, but that's the easiest path to Albany / MSG: win and root against ISU, TCU and even Kansas State to an extent. ISU has lost 4 of their last 5, Kansas State has lost 3 of their last 4, and TCU has lost 4 of their last 5. All with worse NET and KP than UConn; all getting destroyed by their own conference. One of whom already lost head to head v UConn.

Another thing UConn has going for it as Lunardi notes is UConn is the only good team in the northeast. So the Big 12 (and UConn itself) are the only impediments.

Feel free to poke holes in this logic since I do not know all the intricacies of bracketology.
Thought you did an excellent job..More expansive and understandable.. First two paragraphs tell it all.. Not a bracketologist myself.. Gotta keep winning..

Reaction Score

This is all too confusing for me. I hope the committee uses a software to help them with this. Doing all these mental gymnastics on paper would be difficult

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is all too confusing for me. I hope the committee uses a software to help them with this. Doing all these mental gymnastics on paper would be difficult

They do. It has conditional formatting built in that highlights when something is in conflict.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom