New Contract and Possible Consequences For Unconn | The Boneyard

New Contract and Possible Consequences For Unconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least we are in Group A (with Cinci, Houston, and Temple) and not in Group B!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It appears the destruction of our brand is now finally at hand. Aresco set out to lock UCONN and with this deal he has done so. God forbid Cinncy an USF/UCF leave. After that we might as well be Division II

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
actually if 2 teams leave the contract is voided - maybe that is the best alternative!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You are missing the most important part..."digital platforms" Euphemism for ESPN3 and WatchESPN. I hope the fine print spells out actual TV games.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
EXIT fee in Big East by laws is tied to TV revenue. If TV money goes down (which it just did) then the exit fee can be decreased. It likely won't be decreased but it won't be raised.

Reaction Score
They won't put us on those platforms. They need to maximize ad revenue. We'll still be uh... Top Dog of this conference. ESPN isn't going to be able to sell Tulane UCF on a Thursday night hoop match up, but anything with our name will sell. At least next year

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Please, that's stupid.

If anything, it should mean that the exit fee is reduced - the current exit fee is almost seven times the per team annual gross under this deal.

Exit fees could be increased to protect other teams in league who have no chance of getting out. I guess civil discussion is no long possible on any message board. Look I understand that it would make sense to lower the exit fee. But to protect themselves from losing teams they can jack up the exit fees claiming that they would be ultimately harmed by a team or two leaving since that would destroy the leagues deal. A deal that is ultimately better then what they will have once realignment takes its final death march. This is just putting one and two together. Nothing more nothing less. Sounds alot like what Blumenthal did when he sued everyone under the sun. UConn would still leave but the payout would be much larger and once they all have equal voting power there is 6 of them in Group B and only 4 in group A

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Exit fees could be increased to protect other teams in league who have no chance of getting out. I guess civil discussion is no long possible on any message board. Look I understand that it would make sense to lower the exit fee. But to protect themselves from losing teams they can jack up the exit fees claiming that they would be ultimately harmed by a team or two leaving since that would destroy the leagues deal. A deal that is ultimately better then what they will have once realignment takes its final death march. This is just putting one and two together. Nothing more nothing less. Sounds alot like what Blumenthal did when he sued everyone under the sun. UConn would still leave but the payout would be much larger and once they all have equal voting power there is 6 of them in Group B and only 4 in group A

Let's call a spade a spade here - you didn't read the article thoroughly or you misunderstood it.

Which is basically why you just edited this post - in the future, it's far easier to say "oops" than it is to scramble up a defense.

Anywho, for the amount of money that is involved, the exit fees are very, very high - basically, any adjustment upwards would in effect be targeting only Connecticut and Cincinnati and likely would be viewed as punitive should it come to legal jousting.

There is really no upwards direction that they can vote in that would discourage the "A" group should they receive an offer from one of the five power-conferences. If it's $20M and the Big 12 calls Cincy, that check gets written without a second thought.

So the argument can be made that a lower exit fee is actually better on some levels for Houston or Tulane or whoever else - if they sense instability and have the option to jump somewhere that looks more secure, it might be in their interests to do so and the current $10M fee would be a formidable impediment.

Bottom line...I don't think the exit fee is much of a concern.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So we make 15 million less next year give or take a few depending on CBS deal than Syracuse... How the f are we going to be able to compete? Where are our Trustees on this. This is unbelievable
http://www.courant.com/hc-big-east-media-rights-0320-20130319,0,3341006.story

With the amortization of the exit fees from the BE that UConn gets and way the ACC contract steps over time, Syracuse won't be making more than $5 to $6 million more per year than UConn in media fees for the next 3 to 5 years. Hopefully, something will happen by then. Also, it is time for the fans to step up and move UConn forward. I increased my donations this year to help.

Reaction Score
So we make 15 million less next year give or take a few depending on CBS deal than Syracuse... How the f are we going to be able to compete? Where are our Trustees on this. This is unbelievable
http://www.courant.com/hc-big-east-media-rights-0320-20130319,0,3341006.story

Seriously, LMFAO. Other than work to make the University stronger over the long run, which the Trustees are clearly working with President Herbst on, you want them to do what exactly? What would you do as a trustee that you know hasn't been done? Or do none of us have anything better to do than listen to you ask for cheese with your whine?

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Let's call a spade a spade here - you didn't read the article thoroughly or you misunderstood it.

Which is basically why you just edited this post - in the future, it's far easier to say "oops" than it is to scramble up a defense.

Anywho, for the amount of money that is involved, the exit fees are very, very high - basically, any adjustment upwards would in effect be targeting only Connecticut and Cincinnati and likely would be viewed as punitive should it come to legal jousting.

There is really no upwards direction that they can vote in that would discourage the "A" group should they receive an offer from one of the five power-conferences. If it's $20M and the Big 12 calls Cincy, that check gets written without a second thought.

So the argument can be made that a lower exit fee is actually better on some levels for Houston or Tulane or whoever else - if they sense instability and have the option to jump somewhere that looks more secure, it might be in their interests to do so and the current $10M fee would be a formidable impediment.

Bottom line...I don't think the exit fee is much of a concern.

I edited solely to tone down my rhetoric. No need to talk in uncivil tones... but if you can't read between the lines then I am sorry. The teams on the outside looking in are pissed. They are pissed they are in this league, pissed for having to pay to get here, pissed for getting pittance from the pay outs from the other teams leaving... they (and Aresco) will do what it takes to try to black ball teams in. Look what the ACC did a few years back... It won't be that high for this league but it will go up to protect their bottom line. Uconn will be in the minority since ESPN put the target on their back with three others. Majority will be the vote and Uconn will be stuck. Believe me the new deal in the conference will be pretty iron clad in my opinion. And I stand by my opinion on this case hence the word "could" was my first word.

Real winner was Houston being named to Group A.

Reaction Score
Seriously, LMFAO. Other than work to make the University stronger over the long run, which the Trustees are clearly working with President Herbst on, you want them to do what exactly? What would you do as a trustee that you know hasn't been done? Or do none of us have anything better to do than listen to you ask for cheese with your whine?
Get us of the ship

Reaction Score
Because jackass each of us pay for this. The trustees owe it to the state to explain how this was so poorly done. Be it prior admins. Or whatever. It's like not holding a local board of Ed unaccountable for a superintendents financial mismanagement.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't what kind of prize comes with being Group A - they may sew it on their uniforms.

I would not worry - we cannot be locked into this conference.

Reaction Score
Because jackass each of us pay for this. The trustees owe it to the state to explain how this was so poorly done. Be it prior admins. Or whatever. It's like not holding a local board of Ed unaccountable for a superintendents financial mismanagement.

You're calling Businesslawyer a jackasss? Why don't you get off the board now? That's uncalled for.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
All this math makes my head hurt. But dang it Fishy if your call on things happening on (a) Tuesday.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom