New Contract and Possible Consequences For Unconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Contract and Possible Consequences For Unconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because jackass each of us pay for this. The trustees owe it to the state to explain how this was so poorly done. Be it prior admins. Or whatever. It's like not holding a local board of Ed unaccountable for a superintendents financial mismanagement.
Get a clue bud. Taking pot shots at the Trustees without knowing what you're talking about adds nothing to the conversation.

Reaction Score
Get a clue bud. Taking pot shots at the Trustees without knowing what you're talking about adds nothing to the conversation.
I'm sorry if I insulted anyone. Not my intent. But someone has to be held to account for how we got in this mess. We can blame ESPN, ACC. Whatever. But are you telling me we shouldn't question the public officials who run our flagship university as to how we got to this point. I would like answers, wouldn't you.

Reaction Score
When someone starts a response with LMAO, in essence relegating the prior poster's over the top comment to the chuckle bin, I can understand someone taking offense. But let's get real here. Calling someone a Mo-Fo is insulting. Calling someone a lying sack of sh... is insulting. But in the world of possible insults, jackass almost seems a term of endearment, idiot, a compliment.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll see Bizlaw for quite some time. You know how thin skinned attorneys can be. He may never recover from a jackass calling him a jackass.

Reaction Score
Talk about perspective, I'm sitting at a meeting in Vancouver and no one cares very deeply about UConn's Conference situation. As in many US venues, no one seems to care at all. How can they be so shallow? How 'bout them Canucks?!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're calling Businesslawyer a jackasss? Why don't you get off the board now? That's uncalled for.
I mean the man's a lawyer and uh, it's his business or something. You can't call him a jackass! It's just wrong.

Reaction Score
Talk about perspective, I'm sitting at a meeting in Vancouver and no one cares very deeply about UConn's Conference situation. As in many US venues, no one seems to care at all. How can they be so shallow? How 'bout them Canucks?!

I recently had a National Sales Meeting where they told all 1500+ of the field sales force to wear their schools shirts, jerseys, hats, whatever.... To show pride in their school and to have a little fun at the meeting to break up the grind. I you not, THREE people asked me if Uconn was now in the MAC! They were dead serious to, not busting balls. I can easily believe that the Canucks could care less because it seems like no one here outside of CT does either. I did get a few complements on my Ricky Moore jersey though...

Reaction Score
It appears the destruction of our brand is now finally at hand. Aresco set out to lock UCONN and with this deal he has done so. God forbid Cinncy an USF/UCF leave. After that we might as well be Division II

How did he lock UConn in?

Reaction Score
Exit fees could be increased to protect other teams in league who have no chance of getting out. I guess civil discussion is no long possible on any message board. Look I understand that it would make sense to lower the exit fee. But to protect themselves from losing teams they can jack up the exit fees claiming that they would be ultimately harmed by a team or two leaving since that would destroy the leagues deal. A deal that is ultimately better then what they will have once realignment takes its final death march. This is just putting one and two together. Nothing more nothing less. Sounds alot like what Blumenthal did when he sued everyone under the sun. UConn would still leave but the payout would be much larger and once they all have equal voting power there is 6 of them in Group B and only 4 in group A

They have to rip up the bylaws then, because the bylaws explicitly state the exit fee must go down.

Reaction Score
I edited solely to tone down my rhetoric. No need to talk in uncivil tones... but if you can't read between the lines then I am sorry. The teams on the outside looking in are pissed. They are pissed they are in this league, pissed for having to pay to get here, pissed for getting pittance from the pay outs from the other teams leaving... they (and Aresco) will do what it takes to try to black ball teams in. Look what the ACC did a few years back... It won't be that high for this league but it will go up to protect their bottom line. Uconn will be in the minority since ESPN put the target on their back with three others. Majority will be the vote and Uconn will be stuck. Believe me the new deal in the conference will be pretty iron clad in my opinion. And I stand by my opinion on this case hence the word "could" was my first word.

Real winner was Houston being named to Group A.

Do you realize how much money these guys are making by joining?

$1 million bonus
$2 million BCS autobid money
$2 million in money from this year's NCAA tourney credits run up by current BE members
$1.6 million more than they would have in the NCAAs.
AND, if UConn ever leaves, they get whatever exit fees and NCAA credits are left over, plus the credits to come AND UConn's exit fees
AND the money from UConn women's basketball!

They are getting $7 million already. How much more can they want?

With all the blood and sweat UConn put into this conference over the years, while schools like Providence mooched off the most successful tourney team, UConn is getting about $20 million over the next 7 years. That's $3m a year. If Uconn leaves in 2 years, they pay $5m to get out, end up with $6m profit from the fees, $4m in BCS and leftover NCAA creds from 2013. That's $5m total--less than what the new schools will make.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The remaining schools would improve their financial position if ESPN voided this contract. They are probably calling other leagues to help subsidize a raid.

Reaction Score
An article over at SNY (that I can't find right now) says that UConn women's deal with SNY received protection.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm sorry if I insulted anyone. Not my intent. But someone has to be held to account for how we got in this mess. We can blame ESPN, ACC. Whatever. But are you telling me we shouldn't question the public officials who run our flagship university as to how we got to this point. I would like answers, wouldn't you.

Good grief...bet you were one of those "Occupy" clowns. S*it happens. It isn't always anybody's fault, or at least, it is so many people's fault, over so long a period of time, that wasting energy looking for a scapegoat is a feast for fools.

You want to blame someone? How come UConn didn't go D1 in football 90 years ago? Or hell, even 30 years ago? Didn't they have an Oracle reading the tea leaves? Shame on them. Why was Gampel pavilion built so pathetically small when we knew we could sell out 14-16k easily? Why was I-384 left unfinished (hell when I grew up in Manchester it was a drag strip that didn't connect to I-84)? How dare they cut that federal highway funding to connect Harford to Providence back in the 60's! Didn't they know what it would do to realignment in 2013? Oh, and who the hell failed to hire Saban as our football coach? I mean, after he flamed out with the Dolphins, didn't we know?

Now I can continue this for several pages, but get your head on straight and look freaking FORWARD. Not doing enough of that, over the last 100 years, is what got us here.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll see Bizlaw for quite some time. You know how thin skinned attorneys can be. He may never recover from a jackass calling him a jackass.

if the price of pointing out dumb posts is being called a jackass, I am fine paying it.

I am sure, however, that there are a number of jackasses none too happy for the comparison.

Reaction Score
An article over at SNY (that I can't find right now) says that UConn women's deal with SNY received protection.

JohnFSilver 8:09pm via WordPress.com
How the Big East TV deal affects UConn on.sny.tv/YTLBo3

"The women’s deal is a bit trickier. The women’s basketball rights are now held by ESPN, which controls the entire conferences athletics now. The league will have up to 60 games aired on a family of network next year, and where does SNY get its inventory? The school and SNY have a contract that pays about $1.1 million over 4 years signed last spring. The women’s program delivered big ratings in Connecticut. How many games does SNY get for UConn women, how many does ESPN get?"

Reaction Score
JohnFSilver 8:09pm via WordPress.com
How the Big East TV deal affects UConn on.sny.tv/YTLBo3

"The women’s deal is a bit trickier. The women’s basketball rights are now held by ESPN, which controls the entire conferences athletics now. The league will have up to 60 games aired on a family of network next year, and where does SNY get its inventory? The school and SNY have a contract that pays about $1.1 million over 4 years signed last spring. The women’s program delivered big ratings in Connecticut. How many games does SNY get for UConn women, how many does ESPN get?"

ESPN might control the rights, but it's not the same as the men's rights since obviously UConn benefits from selling rights to SNY. So, there is a precedent set for UConn where UConn gets a cut of the women's rights already. I expect this will continute in the future since no other team in the conference invests in women's basketball like UConn does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom