Umass
Dayton
Houston
Tulane
URI
New Orleans
Hofstra

Reaction Score
What kind of drugs are you on? Half of those schools don't even play FBS football.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Uconn
South Florida
Temple
Umass
Dayton
Houston
Tulane
URI
New Orleans
Hofstra
If UConn wants to be a major force in sports, it will need to be in a conference with strong football affiliations. Four conferences along with the media are "gaming" the system and taking in most of the money. There is a fifth but it is vulnerable. Without the extra moneys, the other universities will fall further and further behind these guys.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If UConn wants to be a major force in sports, it will need to be in a conference with strong football affiliations. Four conferences along with the media are "gaming" the system and taking in most of the money. There is a fifth but it is vulnerable. Without the extra moneys, the other universities will fall further and further behind these guys.
Clearly the Universities are all responding like they absolutely must get all that cash but I suspect that the projections are overblown and they are largely chasing fool's gold. People keep saying that you have to get a berth in a BCSbowl to make big cash, then UConn was told that they would make a huge cash payday from the BCS bowl...then we actually went and found out that we owed $ big time because our fans were not able to buy enough tickets

Reaction Score
Not sure PP could get us a winning conference record.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
...then UConn was told that they would make a huge cash payday from the BCS bowl...then we actually went and found out that we owed $ big time because our fans were not able to buy enough tickets

UConn lost money because UConn was stupid. And they did massive damage to their own reputation in the process - the ramifications of which are still playing out today. (See the ESPN article where thattish blonde reporter Dana something or other cracks that we "promptly sold 11 tickets".)

In reality, 10,000-12,000 UConn fans bought tickets...they just did not buy them from UConn because UConn contracted with WorldTek in a bid to duck* their own fans.

Their packages were a complete non-starter, they cost the U a fortune and murdered us in the court of public opinion.

They got greedy, but before they got greedy, they got stupid. I still want to punch Hathaway in the throat for that one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They got greedy, but before they got greedy, they got stupid. I still want to punch Hathaway in the throat for that one.

They didn't "get" greedy, they were always greedy. Just off the top of my head:

Ticket prices for the last seat in the Civic Center went from $11. to $30. almost overnight.
They alienated longtime fans by bouncing them out of their seats without so much as a phone call.
Remember the "U" game? $75. to see UMass?
Chairbacks at the Rent started out at about $150. per game

And when people finally said "enough" they are labeled as a bad fan base.

Reaction Score
UConn lost money because UConn was stupid. And they did massive damage to their own reputation in the process - the ramifications of which are still playing out today. (See the ESPN article where thattish blonde reporter Dana something or other cracks that we "promptly sold 11 tickets".)

In reality, 10,000-12,000 UConn fans bought tickets...they just did not buy them from UConn because UConn contracted with WorldTek in a bid to duck* their own fans.

Their packages were a complete non-starter, they cost the U a fortune and murdered us in the court of public opinion.

Yup, I used to blindly just write the checks and go to everything, but when the cost to go to a football game with just one night away cost more than going away for four nights and three basketball games in Detroit I hit a breaking point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Clearly the Universities are all responding like they absolutely must get all that cash but I suspect that the projections are overblown and they are largely chasing fool's gold. People keep saying that you have to get a berth in a BCSbowl to make big cash, then UConn was told that they would make a huge cash payday from the BCS bowl...then we actually went and found out that we owed $ big time because our fans were not able to buy enough tickets
The chase for $ has positive and negative consequences. It is what it is. Universities in the B!G will be distributing upwards of $40 million dollars by 2017. That will be in addition to the deals with IMG and Nike and local networks. The beauty of this is that $ for athletics at those universities will not have to come out of those universities other budgets. The negative is that the need to maintain the contracts has corrupted the process at many levels. Things won't change unless people choose to stop watching. Won't happen.

Reaction Score
Hofstra? You're that desperate to see Jeff Hathaway again?
Nah. I think it's the allure of watching Jamal Coombs-McDaniel play - if he ever sees the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom