New article on Westbrook and Adebayo | The Boneyard

New article on Westbrook and Adebayo

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn does not appear to think Evina's microfracture surgery will keep her out a significant amount of time:

Earlier this month, Westbrook underwent microfracture surgery on her left knee, which she said had been bothering her since the middle of freshman year. The school said she’s expected to return in October.

“I’ve been having problems with it for a while now,” she noted. “It’s been bad. Especially this past year, it got really bad. I really wanted to get this problem fixed to be able to be healthy and help this team to the best of my ability.”

Auriemma said Adebayo will need time to adjust to a better level of competition, but he’s confident she’ll be able to contribute eventually.

“Evelyn, this is all new for her,” he said. “It’s a whole different scenario for her, and it’s going to take her some time to get caught up. She’s really good with the ball, so I’m hoping that it won’t take long. She’s a really good passer, a really good passer. She’s smart. She really understands how to play.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I love the reference to Evelyn’s passing skills. If she can rebound, set some screens, be that passer from the high post Geno loves, and toss in some garbage points, that will be huge for opening the lane for Liv.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno also thinks a freshman will hit the ground running.

“Diana was the first reason I started to watch UConn but Coach Geno and the rest of the coaching staff is great here,” she said. “The first time they reached out to me I was sure it was going to be a great place for me. I was sure it was going to be my choice.”

With an ability to stroke it from deep and good court vision, Makurat is expected to be an instant-impact addition for the Huskies. Well, an instant-impact addition on offense, at least.

“She showed me her letter of intent and she said ‘It doesn’t say anything here about playing defense,’” Auriemma joked. “So I’m trying to get my attorney to re-write the letter of intent so she gets that part.”

Anna Makurat Brings Professional Experience to UConn Women’s Basketball

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“Diana was the first reason I started to watch UConn but Coach Geno and the rest of the coaching staff is great here,” she said. “The first time they reached out to me I was sure it was going to be a great place for me. I was sure it was going to be my choice.”

With an ability to stroke it from deep and good court vision, Makurat is expected to be an instant-impact addition for the Huskies. Well, an instant-impact addition on offense, at least.

“She showed me her letter of intent and she said ‘It doesn’t say anything here about playing defense,’” Auriemma joked. “So I’m trying to get my attorney to re-write the letter of intent so she gets that part.”

She and Sveta share the same spirit apparently. I hope the comparisons continue. I bet Geno see's a lot of similarities. :)

Reaction Score

Geno is getting into mid season snipets with Ania. Like Svetlana, I score why do I need to play defense? My bet is Ania, may or may not start, but will see more than mininal time on the floor. She smart, she'll learn Geno's defense and she come s with high levels of experience with PRO' s and shooting ability--What a plus plus plus for GENO. Did I say I like Ania???

Reaction Score
UConn does not appear to think Evina's microfracture surgery will keep her out a significant amount of time:

Earlier this month, Westbrook underwent microfracture surgery on her left knee, which she said had been bothering her since the middle of freshman year. The school said she’s expected to return in October.

“I’ve been having problems with it for a while now,” she noted. “It’s been bad. Especially this past year, it got really bad. I really wanted to get this problem fixed to be able to be healthy and help this team to the best of my ability.”

Auriemma said Adebayo will need time to adjust to a better level of competition, but he’s confident she’ll be able to contribute eventually.

“Evelyn, this is all new for her,” he said. “It’s a whole different scenario for her, and it’s going to take her some time to get caught up. She’s really good with the ball, so I’m hoping that it won’t take long. She’s a really good passer, a really good passer. She’s smart. She really understands how to play.”

Thanks, a very nice read. Geno is speaking the truth to keep expectation from being to great on Evelyn. Thanks this was a fun read and informative, thanks.

Reaction Score
It is nice to know that Anna is the kind of quality player that not only come off of the bench and provide quality minutes (TBD) but might also have the skills to start considering minor injuries that could keep someone from making that start. In the past, UConn has had too few quality players coming off the bench. It usually has been one or two. Now it could be 2 to 3 that could provide relief for different playing patterns that Man wants to take.

Reaction Score
What am I, chopped liver! :mad:;)
Sir Rocky Chopped liver---Thank you. All that you find are fun reads. (hope this covered all bases). I will read ANYthing you may find on Anna/Ania because I have belief she shall be extra special and Westbrook is a known (almost) quantity in WCBB albeit with Holly. The Holly association will be history after her first game or 2 in a Uconn Uniform. THANK YOU ROCKY.

Reaction Score
It is nice to know that Anna is the kind of quality player that not only come off of the bench and provide quality minutes (TBD) but might also have the skills to start considering minor injuries that could keep someone from making that start. In the past, UConn has had too few quality players coming off the bench. It usually has been one or two. Now it could be 2 to 3 that could provide relief for different playing patterns that Man wants to take.
In the past year maybe 2 years having a player from the bench come in and provide seemless substitution was (along with a missing big) a factor in not winning it all. Anna/Westerbrook, Evelyn , Griffin may be the factors to win it all. ONO with experience and CD's teaching could help a lot. CW, Megan and Danger are experienced and top tier players. Those four will be exceptional with a Bench that can provide breathers and seemless play. OOOps keep forgetting Touly , sorry @ Coach Rick.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sir Rocky Chopped liver---Thank you. All that you find are fun reads. (hope this covered all bases). I will read ANYthing you may find on Anna/Ania because I have belief she shall be extra special and Westbrook is a known (almost) quantity in WCBB albeit with Holly. The Holly association will be history after her first game or 2 in a Uconn Uniform. THANK YOU ROCKY.

Hah, LOL. On Anna I totally agree and regularly scour for news. On Evina, perhaps she's doing it out of respect, but I want her to start talking about "we" and not "they". Perhaps she doesn't think she's earned it yet.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hah, LOL. On Anna I totally agree and regularly scour for news. On Evina, perhaps she's doing it out of respect, but I want her to start talking about "we" and not "they". Perhaps she doesn't think she's earned it yet.
Hey RookyMTRed and BroodwayMD I would like to subtle remind you that it’s “ANIA” not Anna and all you have to do is save it on your typing so your auto spell check stops changing it as I have a feeling that both of you will be writing and posting a lot about this young lady over the next few years!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I love the reference to Evelyn’s passing skills. If she can rebound, set some screens, be that passer from the high post Geno loves, and toss in some garbage points, that will be huge for opening the lane for Liv.

Yes. And...stop the ball when the opponent is foolish enough to attempt driving toward the rim.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey RookyMTRed and BroodwayMD I would like to subtle remind you that it’s “ANIA” not Anna and all you have to do is save it on your typing so your auto spell check stops changing it as I have a feeling that both of you will be writing and posting a lot about this young lady over the next few years!

Hey, I'm the one who brought the info on Ania to the board weeks ago! I do feel conflicted until I hear definitive spoken word and Geno called her Anna the other day... what a torment! And yes I'm thinking we will be gabbing about ... umh, this recruit ...quite a bit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m told she prefers Anna. Perhaps one of the horde can confirm that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

One of the horde started this . Dan Brechlin Courant May 4

: Wait, I thought her name was Anna Makurat, not Ania. Can you clarify?

A
: Let’s get the basics out of the way first. Anna is indeed her name, but Ania is a nickname of sorts in Poland for Anna. And this Anna prefers Ania."

Who is UConn women’s basketball recruit Ania Makurat? A big Diana Taurasi fan.

I wonder what her team mates are using? Maybe one fine day we will have her tell us?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One of the horde started this . Dan Brechlin Courant May 4

: Wait, I thought her name was Anna Makurat, not Ania. Can you clarify?

A
: Let’s get the basics out of the way first. Anna is indeed her name, but Ania is a nickname of sorts in Poland for Anna. And this Anna prefers Ania."

Who is UConn women’s basketball recruit Ania Makurat? A big Diana Taurasi fan.

I wonder what her team mates are using? Maybe one fine day we will have her tell us?

He is not one of the horde.

Reaction Score
Anna may prefer Ania but it's a safe bet she will love to see Anna or Ania published with her stats in headlines. So, as one who lived in the deep state of Polish Connectict (select town) I choose Anna/Ania for the nitpickers cuz I doubt Anna/Ania will object to my loving posts of my beliefs in her success as a Connecticut Husky. Right Anna/Ania Dobja Pon-yie (phonic)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom