New Article on FBI Probe... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Article on FBI Probe...

Reaction Score
Yup, nothing will come of this, book it

Part of me agrees, but if scrubs like Pete Thamel are hearing about this loud enough that they are commenting, it's going to come out.

Reaction Score
Part of me agrees, but if scrubs like Pete Thamel are hearing about this loud enough that they are commenting, it's going to come out.
Names will leak but the NCAA won't be able to do anything. They will render themself useless. Bye Felicia!

Reaction Score
The only thing that will happen is UConn will get a tournament ban and loss of 2 scholarships for making an extra recruiting call and the other schools will get a pass for paying players.

Look at punishment for ND vs UNC for academic issues. Not a logical outcome.

Reaction Score
The Nochimson stuff will look like a hall pass violation. The sport we all love could go buh bye

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I also love the idea that some recent nat titles could come down. Duke UNC would be nice, Kentucky.

In that case, don't get used to our most recent one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I disagree with the outcome here. The FBI basically has the goods on every blue blood basketball program. BUT, most of what was done is not illegal, but against NCAA rules. I don't think we or the NCAA will ever see what the FBI has and all schools (and Adidas and Nike) will take the serious warning and change their ways.

The FBI doesn't put all this time, money, and manpower into something that isn't likely to be illegal. They are going for, and likely have, scalps. It would be a colossal effup if not.

Reaction Score
Any UConn alums ever use Andy Miller as their agent? Hoping not

Reaction Score
Any UConn alums ever use Andy Miller as their agent? Hoping not

Sticks had him as his original agent coming out. Not sure if any others signed with him but 100% positive he tried signing other UConn players

Reaction Score
The FBI doesn't put all this time, money, and manpower into something that isn't likely to be illegal. They are going for, and likely have, scalps. It would be a colossal effup if not.
The way it works if they start they are going to find something no matter how obscure and if they don't, they find a way to induce a process crime (obstruction). They buckle the weakest with bullsnot charges, and shape cooperating testimony in exchange for reduced sentences or limited immunity. It's a crappy, corrupt system with little relation to actual truth and justice.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure there is no federal law against paying players, but they violate NCAA rules. But there are laws about individuals reporting income if they have been gifted by someone >$14,000 in a given year and there are laws about giving people >$14,000 in a given year and not reporting it. There are also laws about companies bribing people and about misreporting uses of company funds.

So, if a coach told a sneaker company to pay a kid, and the sneaker company did, I don't think the coach committed a crime, but he committed an NCAA violation. If the kid declared the payment as income and paid tax on it, I don't think he has committed a crime, but he committed an NCAA violation. I even think if the sneaker company paid a kid and reported the payment to the IRS, I don't think a crime was committed.

If the kids and/or their handlers who got payments were smart, they would get a tax lawyer or tax accountant and pay income taxes on the payment. You can modify past returns, but may have to pay a penalty. Then, they committed no crime. When they are caught, they are going to have to pay income tax on it anyway, so at least take the crime part out of the equation.

Reaction Score
It IS illegal for federal employees, all coaches, to accept bribes. Which is essentially what is happening when shoe companies pay players to go to certain schools. If any member of the coaching staff was apart of the transaction, it is not hard to make a bribery case against them.

You seem to think coaches tell the shoe companies who to pay. In reality, its the opposite. Its the shoe companies telling the players where to go and the coaches who to take and then funneling that money through assistant coaches and agents. It is very illegal and once the money trail is found, very problematic for college basketball.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Destroy the NCAA. Burn it down and start over

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only potential federal violation would be tax evasion (ask Al Capone about that one) for the kids (or their pasrents/representatives) for not claiming income on the payouts.

My guess is that if the NCAA attempts to do nothing about this (I can see it now, although it would only be a dozen or so schools, they say "We can't punish every D1 school so we won't punish anyone" for this), they may get blown up by congress.

Reaction Score
The only potential federal violation would be tax evasion (ask Al Capone about that one) for the kids (or their pasrents/representatives) for not claiming income on the payouts.

My guess is that if the NCAA attempts to do nothing about this (I can see it now, although it would only be a dozen or so schools, they say "We can't punish every D1 school so we won't punish anyone" for this), they may get blown up by congress.

Again, no. The federal violation here is bribery. It is a felony for government employees to accept bribes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure there is no federal law against paying players, but they violate NCAA rules. But there are laws about individuals reporting income if they have been gifted by someone >$14,000 in a given year and there are laws about giving people >$14,000 in a given year and not reporting it. There are also laws about companies bribing people and about misreporting uses of company funds.

So, if a coach told a sneaker company to pay a kid, and the sneaker company did, I don't think the coach committed a crime, but he committed an NCAA violation. If the kid declared the payment as income and paid tax on it, I don't think he has committed a crime, but he committed an NCAA violation. I even think if the sneaker company paid a kid and reported the payment to the IRS, I don't think a crime was committed.

If the kids and/or their handlers who got payments were smart, they would get a tax lawyer or tax accountant and pay income taxes on the payment. You can modify past returns, but may have to pay a penalty. Then, they committed no crime. When they are caught, they are going to have to pay income tax on it anyway, so at least take the crime part out of the equation.

They aren't interested in the kids or the schools. They are going after the shoe companies, and in some cases coaches. The kids and the schools are collateral damage vis a vis NCAA policies.

It falls under wire fraud and money laundering. Here's a summary:

Why is it against the law to give money to recruits? Former federal prosecutors explain

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom