New article: Glen Miller & JC talk about the team | The Boneyard

New article: Glen Miller & JC talk about the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excellent summary. I like the coaches confidence in the team. Sounds like they really believe they are in the hunt for a NC. Thanks

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well it looks like Glen Miller is expecting DD to go pro after this season and chances are good with RB as well. And JC feels RP will be one and done for UConn!

I like that Miller feels Brimah is a "diamond in the rough"!

Great write up Nan!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Nan do these dinners tend to have the same positive tone or is the optimism significant in that Miller and JC feel like we are in a great spot?

I love that the NCAA is assumed.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I was a walker at the walk and did not hear about this. I wonder if others who were there also got the invitation. I thought that we were going to get invited to a practice. Perhaps I am on the outcast list after having been associated with The Boneyard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you got a letter for the practice thing, you're all set whenever that might happen.

Tonight was for the $1,000+ peeps.

Reaction Score
".....Last year we were 190 out of 240 teams in rebounding. We had a good field goal percentage but now the goal is to be in the top 10 in rebounding. "

I laughed out loud when i read this. Give kids attainable goals or they wont try as hard when they know the inevitable results will fall short. I think uconn has a chance at final 4 maybe a run at the title, id be happy with top 50 in rebounding.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan do these dinners tend to have the same positive tone or is the optimism significant in that Miller and JC feel like we are in a great spot?

I love that the NCAA is assumed.

Both, I think. These things do tend to be a bit of a pep rally but it seemed to me that Glen Miller is genuinely excited about the team's prospects.

Reaction Score
Positive comments about Kromah. I tend to not consider his contributions much for this season but it sounds like he might have a moderately significant role.

Reaction Score
I love fresh summer squash over pasta sautéed in garlic and oil, though I usually use fettuccine garnished with Parmesan, lots of it! However, my last name ends in a vowel.

Reaction Score
Great update.

Gotta love Calhoun. I'll buy Ben Gordon as a potential comparison for Purvis since they're both prototypical combo guards - but Rip Hamilton? I'm not seeing how those guys have much in common.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The point guard position will be shared by Shabazz Napier and Terrence Samuel. Terrence isn’t going to play much off the ball, although Bazz will. I have coached a lot of players but I’ve never seen anyone grow and mature as a leader as much as Shabazz Napier”.
So Boat is strictly a 2 now? It may be a good fit but it won't help his pro aspirations.

Niels Giffey – “He played major minutes with the German national team [this summer]. He’s now a senior with experience and has the ability to go from a role player to a major player. We expect him to be more consistent this season”.
If this is more than preseason puffery this is great news and makes us a much tougher team to play. I've always liked Giffey.

There were other folks there, too, such as the IMG rep that circulated through the crowd. I introduced myself to him (I thought he was someone else but, oh well) and we had a talk about UConn marketing. IMG’s job is to market UConn to big companies but it also gets peripherally involved in UConn’s general marketing. I asked about the football uniforms and the IMG rep was happy to claim some responsibility. I don’t think I made a friend when I mentioned my opinion of UConn’s new football helmets; the conversation ended soon after.
:D I don't mind them Nan, but you crack me up. Thanks for the great recap.

One final thought: They do sound confident about this team don't they?

Reaction Score
anyone else find it interesting that Miller didn't label Boat as a PG, and instead said the position will be shared by Bazz and Samuel? No doubt he'll be handling the ball a ton, but I found that kind of surprising that he didn't say Bazz and Boat would be sharing PG duties.

Reaction Score
told ya Purvis has been killing. He's 1 year and out,as JC said. Read some post about a uconn practice where apparently 'purvis wasn't as good as when I last saw him' . Total bollocks, he's been killing our swingmen with a totally revamped shooting form. I think miller also made a mistake about boat, boat claims he is a pg... Strictly. It might just be because he's our best one on one scorer.

Reaction Score
I hope jimmy C gets the word out and does some spotting out in the motherland, we could use some more deadly Israelis on our squad to compliment our German influx

Reaction Score
Great update.

Gotta love Calhoun. I'll buy Ben Gordon as a potential comparison for Purvis since they're both prototypical combo guards - but Rip Hamilton? I'm not seeing how those guys have much in common.

Probably the stop and shoot part. Rip could do that really well. Run the floor, stop and drop. Killer of other teams momentum.

Really good article except it's really hard now to wait for RP.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not one "quite frankly" from Calhoun? Clearly you weren't paying attention...

Thanks for putting this together - great read.
A machine gun probably spits out bullets at a slower pace than JC spits out words. I was lucky to scribble down every 4th or 5th word just to get the gist of what he was saying.

Reaction Score
What will really be interesting is if JC's predictions about Purvis come true. This means he is a one and done at UConn if he is gone in two years. While he has grown and practiced in his hiatus between NC State and UConn, this would exemplify, on a very large stage, what a good coaching staff means to a recruit. It would speak volumes about what we already know about the Good (Ollie), the Bad, (Gottfried) and the Ugly (recruiting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom