New Arena Looming? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Arena Looming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The next arena will be built at the Rent site for NHL.

From ground up, Modern, with all the bells and whistles. Not New Haven, or Stamford, or even Hartford. If not, the lipsticked pig that is XL will house Husky Hoop and hockey on part time basis and ice capades and home shows. Yuk

Reaction Score
The next arena will be built at the Rent site for NHL.

From ground up, Modern, with all the bells and whistles. Not New Haven, or Stamford, or even Hartford. If not, the lipsticked pig that is XL will house Husky Hoop and hockey on part time basis and ice capades and home shows. Yuk

If there really is money out there for a new arena, I'd rather see it used to refurbish the XL and expand the Rent.

Reaction Score
I think you meant to say the Islanders, not the Rangers, because the Rangers regularly sellout, last year they averaged virtually 100% capacity for the entire season. Winnipeg is also a bad example since their arena only holds 15K, and they also sell out every game. Phoenix, Columbus, Colorado, the Islanders, and Dallas are generally the worst.
Would Colunbus be the best comparison of a "pro" city for Hartford? A capital city located between two larger cities, strong college team support, probably larger markets further south? Horrible franchise with little fan support, just like the Whalers. I've been to Columbus, if you take away OSU you'd have to have very similar sized markets.

Reaction Score
Would Colunbus be the best comparison of a "pro" city for Hartford? A capital city located between two larger cities, strong college team support, probably larger markets further south? Horrible franchise with little fan support, just like the Whalers. I've been to Columbus, if you take away OSU you'd have to have very similar sized markets.

Good question. The Blue Jackets draw horribly; but, the Crew (MLS) gets decent numbers. In terms of a college town, that is also a state capital smack dab in the middle of two larger metros is a good comparison; but, comparing Cleveland and Cincinnati to Boston and New York is a stretch. Also, Ohio State football is at a level that under the best circumstances would take decades for UConn to get to. And that is not a knock against UConn, not many schools can compete with Ohio State (Texas, ND, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, and USC maybe).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The NHL is not coming to Hartford. The league made a decision to help them move out. They were happy to splinter a percentage of the fan base to the Rangers and Bruins.

The NHL is going to put a team in the Rangers' back yard? They won't let Hamilton have a team to protect Buffalo and Toronto. Think for two seconds.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Whaler with more divine words of wisdom. Just for a split second some people around here may want goods news, even if unlikely news, but you are the little angel that appears to remind us we're all stupid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

No. People in Columbus care about sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler with more divine words of wisdom. Just for a split second some people around here may want goods news, even if unlikely news, but you are the little angel that appears to remind us we're all ing stupid.

Get your hopes up if you like but I have an NHL reference in my handle and even I know it's not happening.

The league blocked Hamilton for Buffalo and Toronto. If you drove to the International Bowl you'd realize if the league blocks Hamilton... Fairfield County is insanity. The tri-state area has proved it can't support 3 teams - yeah let's add a fourth.

Connecticut doesn't support UConn basketball for 10 games in Hartford. How can it support 40 hockey games that cost twice as much? Once you answer that I'll stop pointing out the stupidity of these conversations.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Economics will likely prevent a hockey team from returning to Connecticut - the NHL couldn't. (At least not legally...)

An NHL team in Hartford presents no economic threat to the NY Rangers or Boston Bruins - completely different animal than would exist in the Hamilton market.

Hamilton's arena would be about 40-45 miles from Buffalo and 90 miles from Toronto. The NHL's competitive 'radius' is 50-miles, so if a team wanted to go to Hamilton, they might have to compensate Buffalo or fight the NHL in court. That dude from RIM is determined to get a team, so we'll likely find out which way that breaks eventually.

Hartford is 130 miles from MSG and 110 miles from Fleet or whatever it's called - well outside of their competitive boundaries.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hartford desperately, desperately needs a new arena.
And somebody to pay for it.
Regardless of the NHL returning.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll just chime in with the standard fare on Whaler related threads. The Whalers had good fan support. The idea that they didn't is a fallacy. For a crappy team, the support was even better.

A hockey team can thrive in Hartford but it needs to be well run and it needs to operate in an arena that maximizes profits.

Also, Hartford is not a small market. The population of the tiny city of Hartford is a geographic issue. When combined with West Hartford, East Hartford etc. it is a bigger population base than many other areas with or courting pro teams. Greater Hartford is a legit market.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Get your hopes up if you like but I have an NHL reference in my handle and even I know it's not happening.

The league blocked Hamilton for Buffalo and Toronto. If you drove to the International Bowl you'd realize if the league blocks Hamilton... Fairfield County is insanity. The tri-state area has proved it can't support 3 teams - yeah let's add a fourth.

Connecticut doesn't support UConn basketball for 10 games in Hartford. How can it support 40 hockey games that cost twice as much? Once you answer that I'll stop pointing out the stupidity of these conversations.

You're flat out wrong. The league blocked Hamilton for Balsillie (the RIM guy Fishy mentions). Think of him like Mark Cuban trying to get into MLB - there is an active faction against him. Toronto needs no help. Buffalo is closer to being contracted than they are to blocking Hamilton.

Your point about 3 teams is even more puzzling, given that the league just let the Islanders move within a subway ride of MSG.

I know, you'll call me an idiot, blah blah blah, your usual nonsense, but you're 10000000% wrong on Hamilton. On the NHL returning to Hartford, it's a ridiculous long shot that should be discussed in same tones as winning powerball, UConn getting a B1G invite, etc...

Reaction Score
I dont think NHL is coming back to CT but if it did and a new arena was constructed I would say it would New Haven. As I said before population wise and proximity to NYC while still be far enough away. Also transportation options make it easier to attend games. New Haven also has the best food options of any city in the state and enough night life areas. They already have one of the best universities in the world located there. New Haven if given the proper care and revitilization can become a very attractive city.

I would scoop up season tickets so fast if they came to New Haven, but... no. I just don't think so.

Reaction Score
The NHL is not coming to Hartford. The league made a decision to help them move out. They were happy to splinter a percentage of the fan base to the Rangers and Bruins.

I don't understand how former Whalers fans could defect to the Rangers or Bruins. I still don't like those teams. It's hard to find another team to adopt, but I can't switch sides to regional rivals, that's for sure.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would scoop up season tickets so fast if they came to New Haven, but... no. I just don't think so.
Yeah I don't see the political juice for an arena in New Haven, of any size. If DeStefano and his cronies don't want it, and Yale doesn't want it, and there's no other angel investor bigwig pushing an arena, it's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Columbus Crew attendence has been down drastically the last couple years

The Crew’s attendance has dropped recently, likely due to a combination of the economy and a less exciting team, especially without McBride. Regardless, if the Crew sold-out every game; but, Ohio State decided they needed more space to park RV’s or to build a statue to Urban Myer, the state would knock the soccer stadium down in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how former Whalers fans could defect to the Rangers or Bruins. I still don't like those teams. It's hard to find another team to adopt, but I can't switch sides to regional rivals, that's for sure.

I did switch to the Rangers back when I was in college primarily because I wanted to root for the hometown hero, Brian Leetch. I live in NJ now and continue to root for the Rangers. I will never be able to root for the Bruins. Nevertheless, I was sad to see the Whale go and am certain that the NHL is never coming back to Hartford, especially while ‘Sunbelt’ Bettman is in charge.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Malloy would love to have a plan in place for the 2014 election season.

Better yet, he'd like corporate partners involved with the decision.

There was one proposed plan that had decent backing to move the XL to either 1) Albany Avenue to act as a fortress wall on the other side of I-84 and Albany Avenue. This would free up a good chunk of city land between the on either side of the I-84 ramps. There would be a glass walkway over I-84. The other proposal was East Hartford to finish with the Entertainment complex. Adriens Landing and the Rent Cabela's area would be the New Hartford. The goal with both propsals is to create space in Hartfordwhere the XL is now for apartments and mixed local retail and add at least 2,000 urban residents.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're flat out wrong. The league blocked Hamilton for Balsillie (the RIM guy Fishy mentions). Think of him like Mark Cuban trying to get into MLB - there is an active faction against him. Toronto needs no help. Buffalo is closer to being contracted than they are to blocking Hamilton.

Your point about 3 teams is even more puzzling, given that the league just let the Islanders move within a subway ride of MSG.

I know, you'll call me an idiot, blah blah blah, your usual nonsense, but you're 10000000% wrong on Hamilton. On the NHL returning to Hartford, it's a ridiculous long shot that should be discussed in same tones as winning powerball, UConn getting a B1G invite, etc...

Maybe I'm wrong on Hamilton and you are right it is personal with Balsillie. Toronto needs no help, but why would they want to give away the support of a fairly large city when they can just keep it. If the league doesn't have a problem with a team in Hamilton why isn't anyone else trying to move there - it's a slam dunk if they had a team

We agree on Hartford - they can chase their tails if they feel like it but it's not happening.

A fourth team in the tri-state area makes no sense when 2 of the 3 teams currently there aren't exactly strongholds of wide support. There are a lot of Rangers fans in Fairfield County - they would never allow anything within their territorial rights. The Islanders may end up with better support in Brooklyn but it won't be much at the Rangers expense.

Reaction Score
Whaler you are wrong. The Rangers would have zero say in a team being in CT. Also you are clamoring that Rangers fans living in CT would have zero interest in a CT based hockey team.

First off the population and demographics make it more than feasible to support 4 hockey teams within a 250 mile radius. If you took the population and divided it among those 4 teams their market share would still be higher than other NHL cities. It is absolutely bogus for someone to claim that 4 teams are unable to be supported in this area. The population is here and the expendable income is in this area of hte country is here. Its the same concept with baseball. If baseball truly wants to limit the unfair built in advantage of the New York Yankees (because of their location and demographics) they would relocate or add a team to Brooklyn or the tri state area. They would only take a very small slice of the pie and Yankees would still hold supreme but it would be a long term move in an effort to build a fanbase of decades. You would say they would struggle thisn and that and the third and no one would go to see them play, etc.... You would be incorrect. They would still succeed business wise and the Yankees would still be the most dominant brand of baseball in the world.

There are 1000s of people like me in the state of CT who are not HUGE hockey fans. I dont watch all that much hockey but I do watch playoff hockey. I dont have a favorite team since they dont exist anymore. If the NHL came back to CT I would buy season tickets no questions asked. I know of atleast 10 others who would buy season tickets also. There are also those fans who went o Rangers and Bruins fans that use to be Whalers fans who would most likely switch back. You then have a younger generation that would grow up and love their only CT professional sports team. And then there would be the people who would be fans just because they are doing well or whatever (there are fairweather fans in every city in every sport).

Then add to the fact that CT would play X number of games against the Bruins, Rangers, Islanders.... That would bring in visiting fans and add to attendance figures.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
First off the population and demographics make it more than feasible to support 4 hockey teams within a 250 mile radius. If you took the population and divided it among those 4 teams their market share would still be higher than other NHL cities. It is absolutely bogus for someone to claim that 4 teams are unable to be supported in this area.

I believe Whaler was referring to putting a team in Fairfield County. The Rangers absolutely have a say down there. he Islanders probably do to a their AHL team is in Bridgeport.

The teams he is referring to are New Jersey, Islanders, Rangers, and a potential Connecticut team. By bringing up 250 miles, you bring Boston into the mix, when they weren't even considered in the original point.

Reaction Score
And Whalers is the only one talking about Fairfield County. No one is saying to put a team in that part of hte state. I did mistakenly bring Boston into the mix but if he is talking about the Devils then the Bruins have to accounted for also.

I feel New Haven would be the best place logistics wise and Hartford is the other option.

Whalers just sounds like a kid at the park who decides he doesnt want anyone else using his ball and decides to go home. Fact is there is enough population in this area of the country to support 4-5 teams from the Boston-CT-NYC-NJ area.

CT and the tristate area is more than capable having 4-5 teams

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_markets.shtml

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
New Jersey plays in the Meadowlands, about 3 miles from MSG as the crow flies. Boston is just under 200 miles from the most northern point of the Bronx. Why don't you talk about Buffalo too? At least they are located within the tri-state area.

Reaction Score
Economics will likely prevent a hockey team from returning to Connecticut - the NHL couldn't. (At least not legally...)

An NHL team in Hartford presents no economic threat to the NY Rangers or Boston Bruins - completely different animal than would exist in the Hamilton market.

Hamilton's arena would be about 40-45 miles from Buffalo and 90 miles from Toronto. The NHL's competitive 'radius' is 50-miles, so if a team wanted to go to Hamilton, they might have to compensate Buffalo or fight the NHL in court. That dude from RIM is determined to get a team, so we'll likely find out which way that breaks eventually.

Hartford is 130 miles from MSG and 110 miles from Fleet or whatever it's called - well outside of their competitive boundaries.

I's actually 55 miles to Buffalo and 35 miles to Toronto. Toronto is also 70 miles from Buffalo.

I hear you though about legal entanglements, but we are talking about a region with over 10 million people living there. It seems they could do with an extra hockey team especially in a part of the continent where hockey is the number one sport and there is not much in the way of other pro sports (Blue Jays, Raptors, Buffalo Bills, MLS soccer, CFL football).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom