New and improved XL | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New and improved XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
the XL center is embarrassingly bad. It is one of the worst facilities in the country, the worst I've ever been in to watch a major sporting event. From concessions to corridors to seating to restrooms, it's below standard for every standard there is. If it wasn't for Jim & Geno, it would probably be an apartment building already. Invest or destroy, no difference to me. Campus games are much more fun, although I do enjoy and would miss pregame dinners in Hartford.

Agreed ... and it's really a shame. Not only that, but Gampel is looking ratty. Started going back this year for the first time in over 6 years and it's showing its age (it was back then too). Parts of the roof are peeling off ... and they need to get rid of the benches that line 60% of the place.

Reaction Score
1) i hate this. $105mil public money??? i'm fine spending $$ for sports in ct. but i can spend that $$ alot better and get alot more that ppl would be happy about here.

2) bill, chill man. lol yea ct cities have some bad in them but what cities don't? we jus have nicer burbs so the cities look worse.
Well, Dan there are a couple of points to consider...first in case you weren't aware, the XL Center is owned by the public. The city of hartford, I bleieve under some kind of lease to CDA and an operating contract to Northland. So I think you could make an argument that it is the city and state which ultimately should spend money to maintain the quality of its facility. Now you can argue, I guess, that the City or state shouldn't be in the entertainment facility business, but that horse left the barn 30 years ago with respect to this facility. We got it. It needs to be repaired/upgraded. Who should do it if not the owner? Although I don't believe that Baldwin's plan calls for 100% public funding. As far as Gampel is concerned, there is an old theory in public administration that in a recession, the first thing to suffer is maintenance. People don't notice it when you only empty the trash 3 days/week instead of 5, or sweep the hallways once instead of twice a day, pick the weeds out of the planters once a year instead of 3 times or try to get an extra year or two out of a coat of paint, or put an out of order sign on one of the locker rooms rather than replace the broken shower heads. The impact is gradual, but at some point it takes its toll and you need to spend some money. My impression is that is what is happening to Gampel right now.

Reaction Score
frankly, if I have a knock on the XL Center I'd say it is probably a little too big for the market. Something closer to the size of Providence (13000 for basketball and 12000 for hockey), maybe even a bit smaller (10-12,000) is probably more reasonable. Of course then there is not too much incentive to play games there instead of Gampel. I grew up attending Bruins, Celtics and Beanpot games in the Boston Garden, so even the exisitng XL Center seems pretty nice to me. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The worst thing about the XL Center is that it is 16,000 seat facility built in a 10,500 seat hole. As a result it gets too crowded in the walkways. But it's one of the best things that ever happened to Hartford. And the comment that it is "too big for the market" is belied by all of the sellouts at various events over the years. The Celtics played games in Hartford for years because they could make more money there than in the old Garden. I'm used to the place. I know when and where to get beer. I know where the secret private bathroom is. What other arena has a place where you can go outside during intermissions? It's easy in and easy out. Good bars close by. Parking is cheap. The glass is half full at the XL Center. I love the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom