New AAC rule: No post game handshake. Geno not a fan | The Boneyard

New AAC rule: No post game handshake. Geno not a fan

Reaction Score
Safety is more important than hand shake ...

From wiki USA has 568 cases and 22 dead (including Grand Princess) ..spread very fast

en.wikipedia.org

2019–20 coronavirus outbreak - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
I'm with Geno. COVID-19 should be taken very seriously, but enforce policies that make sense. If you outlaw handshakes, you might as well disinfect the basketball after EVERY pass since the ball is a fomite for disease throughout the entire game...and errrbody touching that :rolleyes:

That being said, I'm ok with handshakes being "optional" for players/coaches who are concerned with/prone to getting ill. In reality, anyone (players or fans) who's considered a high risk (contact with a COVID-19 positive person or traveled abroad to an area heavily affected with an outbreak) should be taking the necessary precautions prior to coming to a public sporting event.

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Safety is more important than hand shake ...

From wiki USA has 568 cases and 22 dead (including Grand Princess) ..spread very fast

en.wikipedia.org

2019–20 coronavirus outbreak - Wikipedia

The no handshake rule to prevent coronavirus is just plain dumb. The players are literally sweating on each other and on the ball all game.....and they're worried about a high 5 line?? If you're that concerned, just make it mandatory to have hand sanitizer ready to use after the game. Nothing new is spreading from a high 5 line.

Reaction Score
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -- The Department of Public Health State Laboratory confirmed Connecticut's first presumptive positive case of the coronavirus on Sunday afternoon, according to Governor Ned Lamont.

The patient is a resident of Wilton between the ages of 40 and 50 and he is being treated at Danbury Hospital.

Lamont said he most likely caught the virus while on a recent trip to California and received health care back in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
With the outbreak in Westchester County it will be interesting to see how many NY commuters use Metro--North tomorrow. Or even go to work.

Reaction Score
With the outbreak in Westchester County it will be interesting to see how many NY commuters use Metro--North tomorrow. Or even go to work.
What You Need to Know
  • Because a member of the Columbia community has been quarantined as a result of exposure to the coronavirus (COVID-19), classes are suspended on Monday, March 9 and Tuesday, March 10.
  • This suspension of activities will allow for preparation to shift to remote classes for the remainder of the week.
  • No Columbia student, faculty, or staff has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
  • For students, all upcoming travel outside the United States organized, led, or financed by Columbia is suspended until further notice.
  • The events policy has been updated to strongly discourage nonessential events of more than 25 people on all of our campuses.
  • Governor Cuomo declared a Disaster Emergency in the State of New York.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I did notice the use of fist bumps in the departure lines at the end of the game. I see Geno's point, but I think the idea is to set a good example, in order to normalize the practice in everyday life. Role models, right? I'm in the age group with a high mortality percentage for this disease, so I appreciate all efforts to limiting the spread of the virus. Come to think of it, many Boneyarders are probably in the same age cohort!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You have a poster who stated that people in Connecticut don't care about the virus and he visited a store and the shelves were full. I told him things will change in Connecticut if those in charge don't do something to slow the virus.

Reaction Score
Final thoughts: I don't think anyone here (especially Geno) is trying to downplay the significance of COVID-19. We should be prepared and smart about the current situation, especially if you are elderly or have any pre-existing health issues that suppress your immune system. But education is key.

I think Geno's point is that the policy of "forgoing a handshake line to reduce the risk of corona virus transmission" doesn't make sense in this scenario (ie. a basketball game). The virus is transmitted by close person to person contact via respiratory droplets of an infected person like with a sneeze or cough. And those who are more symptomatic are more contagious. The virus can also be transmitted if someone touches their mucous membranes after touching the virus on an inanimate object (such as a basketball). Given the nature of the sport, there are COUNTLESS ways for players to transmit the infection PRIOR to the handshake line. If there is a legitimate concern, the game should be cancelled--period. Don't give the players a false sense of security by forgoing a handshake.

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The no handshake policy is absurd. Just a "we're doing something" policy that is meaningless.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
but kisses and warm hugs are ok? ;)

Reaction Score
I'm in favor of a hot, soapy shower and fresh clothes before getting back on the bus after the game. Coaches and assistants too. Don't bring anything unwelcome home to your families.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The NCAA should ban every school from CA, NY and WA from the tournaments, they seem to have the most cases. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The no handshake policy is absurd. Just a "we're doing something" policy that is meaningless.
Muffet in favor. Oh. Does not have to worry about that anymore. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom