It is early but yikes to everyone in the Big East except UCONN

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Amazon Football GIF by NFL On Prime Video

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Can't believe it took 26 posts for someone to mention this. Sample size, people! Also, wildly disparate schedules.
Yeah, I mean, that's pretty obvious. We can still talk about it though. What else is there to do? It's interesting to see where the metrics have everyone at ~1/3 of the way through the regular season.

Reaction Score
Assuming the NET has no prior year weighting, than it's about as useful as the RPI Was in December, i.e. not at all
i don’t think you understand how it works around here.

this ranking reflects favorably on UConn, therefore we must praise it.

the AP poll on the other hand…those voters are idiots who don’t actually watch the games.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

the AP poll on the other hand…those voters are idiots who don’t actually watch the games.
Well... the AP poll is pretty much entirely human based. It's pretty nonsense in terms of determining who the actual best teams are. But it's important because it attributes a number next to our name on national TV. So it's big for optics and recruiting.
The NET is entirely analytics.

So in a way, yes. The AP poll is dumb and the NET rankings are as objective as it gets.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean, that's pretty obvious. We can still talk about it though. What else is there to do? It's interesting to see where the metrics have everyone at ~1/3 of the way through the regular season.
I'm not suggesting anyone stop talking about it. I don't know how "pretty obvious" it is, however, to someone who is flabbergasted that Sam Houston State is ranked 7th, or any of the other early-season idiosyncrasies. Just throwing my two cents into us talking about it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
big east rankings:

uconn - #2
creighton - #33
marquette - #37
xavier - #48
butler - #63
sju - #71
shu - #121
peecee - #145
nova - #160
depaul - #161
georgetown - yikes

Basically, the number of bids a conference will get can be pencilled in when the conference schedule starts, because it is zero-sum game from here on out. For any team to move up, a Big East team would need to move down. The Big East is a 4 bid league based on those NET ratings.

Reaction Score
Basically, the number of bids a conference will get can be pencilled in when the conference schedule starts, because it is zero-sum game from here on out. For any team to move up, a Big East team would need to move down. The Big East is a 4 bid league based on those NET ratings.
While I agree that it'll likely be a 4-bid league, this isn't necessarily true. Say, hypothetically, that Butler or SJ were able to pull off road wins against UConn and Creighton while beating all the cupcakes below them. UConn and Creighton likely wouldn't fall out of the tournament if these were some of their few conference losses, but this would certainly boost the profile of Butler or SJ enough to maybe move into Top 40/50. Not saying this scenario is likely, but not a remote possibility for big movement upwards for some of the bubble teams (and only slight movement downwards for some of the "locks")

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
NET includes winning margin, as well as offensive and defensive effeciency.

i think it's actually one of the reasons we choose to schedule weaker opponents in the OOC and play our starters for longer. putting up huge margins of victory improves our metrics -- my understanding is that uconn studies the analytics closely and is very cognizant of this.

EDIT: disregard the second part -- i guess NET caps margin of victory at 10 points.

I forget which early season game it was, but you could lip read Hurley saying "we need to cover" and even with our bench players in we were playing aggressive D up quite a bit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reaction Score
Florida on the road will almost certainly end up as a Q1 right? Overall, we just need to keep winning and we will be a top seed. Our strength of schedule will definitely be better than Gonzaga is most years and NET never seems to punish them

Let’s get the W on the road first, but we definitely want to see Florida stay in Top 75 range. Would be another solid Q1 Win for us and critical for seeding in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom