Net positive - We will be better in the long run | The Boneyard

Net positive - We will be better in the long run

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Yes, no doubt, it's tough seeing this kind of turmoil in the program right now. We had a promising freshman shooter and an in-state offensive talent transfer. It's very easy to criticize the program right now based on those facts alone, without looking at the larger picture.

Let's take a breath and look at things objectively. Both transfers seem mostly related to the players' relationship with Miller. Instead of blaming KO and and making ridiculous statements about the state of the program, let's consider the obvious. What if both of these guys happened to have a great relationship with Miller and that his departure was the driving factor for the transfers? That seems most likely.

Outside of relating well with the guys who transferred, what did Miller bring to the program? Honestly, it's hard to know. I don't recall a ton of overwhelmingly positive feedback from players or the media about him. I know him best for handling half-time interviews and locker room dancing, which is probably not a great thing.

In the long run, I think we'll be better off with Chillious as the main man next to KO.

Chillious, from everything I've read, fills a lot of gaps in the staff:
  • KO has not been near a perfect bench coach and could use a reliable in-game assistant next to him. Miller may have been too passive and has never really been publicly recognized as a big contributor and assistant for KO during his time here.
  • Chillious is an A+ recruiter. Add Chillious to KO and Killings and you've got a PHENOMINAL group of recruiters. Big change from over a year ago when we basically had ONLY KO as a good recruiter in our program. Now, we've got 3 guys known for bringing in studs.
  • Chillious should work well with our bigs, having worked with Josh Boone and others. We haven't had much development from our bigs, and that's been Miller's responsibility since he's been here. Hard to get worse in that regard.
  • Chillious fits our culture of having a great relationship with the players. I'm not sure how well Glen Miller fit in with the guys. But I've seen glowing comments from players about Chillious (Chillious Joins Men's Basketball Coaching Staff)

In the long run, this will be a good move. It was obvious there were gaps on this staff. We criticized the staff relentlessly during the past few years. Change was necessary. I'm glad we've looked outside the UConn-only staff legacy. That was a change which was needed, it was just a matter of time.

To be honest, I'm more optimistic than ever, because at least we're finally addressing the glaring weaknesses in the staff with the Killings and Chillious hires. Yes -- we gave KO a shot to succeed with his guys. In the short-term, KO succeeded with that staff. But now, for the long run, we're building toward a sustainable future with a young, talented, and well-rounded staff.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
  • KO has not been near a perfect bench coach and could use a reliable in-game assistant next to him. Miller may have been too passive and has never really been publicly recognized as a big contributor and assistant for KO during his time here.
I think that the change will do us good, but this is incorrect. Miller did the scout & gameplan for the title game vs. UK, for god's sake.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
I agree with your optimism and like that you put a lot of thought into the post. But I would be shocked if either transfer had anything at all to do with Miller leaving.

Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe a kid leaves the program because an assistant was let go. Maybe Ollie is the problem? He has shown no growth as a coach, his first couple of years he thrived with very good, established players. His offense has been unwatchable at times this year, no rhythm or strategy at all. We now realize how great of a coach Calhoun was...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we get three players that are good: hopefully the grad transfer from Rice and we steal two of Washington's recruits (three of the four are four star recruits), and we will have come out so far ahead it will be rediculous.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
I think that the change will do us good, but this is incorrect. Miller did the scout & gameplan for the title game vs. UK, for god's sake.

I didn't mean to discredit Glen Miller for his contributions to this program, I just don't think he was a great fit here. KO has his own deficiencies as a coach, and he and Miller didn't really jive well in my mind.

KO was a former PG, so he was naturally guard-orientated. That means Miller had to deal with the bigs. Have we had success with our bigs since he's been associate head coach? No, we haven't.

I don't remember anyone really publicly recognizing Miller for his major contributions to the program. Yes, KO credited him for the game plan vs Kentucky. That's what an assistant coach does -- he scouts opponents and game plans accordingly. Seems like a natural thing for KO to credit his assistants after a victory. But again, I don't think Miller was a great fit with KO in the long-term.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Enoch and Jackson have potential and maybe they will develop or maybe not.
As far as the coaching staff is concerned nobody knows how effective any of them are. Miller may have been a great big man coach with chumps for players. We just don't know.
On the recruiting side I think we have been outstanding. We lost Diallo at the last minute but it wasn't from lack of effort.

Reaction Score
If we get three players that are good: hopefully the grad transfer from Rice and we steal two of Washington's recruits (three of the four are four star recruits), and we will have come out so far ahead it will be rediculous.

The guy I want is the JUCO PF with the Kansas offer. He is an incredible athlete who would seemingly be a perfect defensive fit.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Enoch and Jackson have potential and maybe they will develop or maybe not.
As far as the coaching staff is concerned nobody knows how effective any of them are. Miller may have been a great big man coach with chumps for players. We just don't know.
On the recruiting side I think we have been outstanding. We lost Diallo at the last minute but it wasn't from lack of effort.

We have been outstanding on the recruiting side with the EXCEPTION of our BIGS.

Chillious will help tremendously in the bigs recruiting department. Yes, you could argue that maybe Miller didn't have much to work with in terms of bigs. But you could also argue that if we recruited better bigs, you won't have to complain about Miller not being able to develop the project bigs.

Chillious will be a big help in my mind and immediately addresses some shortcomings in the staff.

Those who are acting like the program is in turmoil and that the sky is falling need to back off the ledge and look at the bigger picture. I think it's a good sign that we're making changes after mediocrity. Transfers are naturally going to happen with these types of coaching changes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, no doubt, it's tough seeing this kind of turmoil in the program right now. We had a promising freshman shooter and an in-state offensive talent transfer. It's very easy to criticize the program right now based on those facts alone, without looking at the larger picture.

Let's take a breath and look at things objectively. Both transfers seem mostly related to the players' relationship with Miller. Instead of blaming KO and and making ridiculous statements about the state of the program, let's consider the obvious. What if both of these guys happened to have a great relationship with Miller and that his departure was the driving factor for the transfers? That seems most likely.

Outside of relating well with the guys who transferred, what did Miller bring to the program? Honestly, it's hard to know. I don't recall a ton of overwhelmingly positive feedback from players or the media about him. I know him best for handling half-time interviews and locker room dancing, which is probably not a great thing.

In the long run, I think we'll be better off with Chillious as the main man next to KO.

Chillious, from everything I've read, fills a lot of gaps in the staff:
  • Chillious is an A+ recruiter. Add Chillious to KO and Killings and you've got a PHENOMINAL group of recruiters. Big change from over a year ago when we basically had ONLY KO as a good recruiter in our program. Now, we've got 3 guys known for bringing in studs.
  • Chillious should work well with our bigs, having worked with Josh Boone and others. We haven't had much development from our bigs, and that's been Miller's responsibility since he's been here. Hard to get worse in that regard.
  • Chillious fits our culture of having a great relationship with the players. I'm not sure how well Glen Miller fit in with the guys. But I've seen glowing comments from players about Chillious (Chillious Joins Men's Basketball Coaching Staff)

In the long run, this will be a good move. It was obvious there were gaps on this staff. We criticized the staff relentlessly during the past few years. Change was necessary. I'm glad we've looked outside the UConn-only staff legacy. That was a change which was needed, it was just a matter of time.

To be honest, I'm more optimistic than ever, because at least we're finally addressing the glaring weaknesses in the staff with the Killings and Chillious hires. Yes -- we gave KO a shot to succeed with his guys. In the short-term, KO succeeded with that staff. But now, for the long run, we're building toward a sustainable future with a young, talented, and well-rounded staff.
I couldn't agree more. I think it is very possible, if not likely, that there is a larger plan in place that none of us has a clue about. The picture is only partial now, so why jump to conclusions? We all thought change was needed and we're getting it. So let's see how the dust settles before we jump to conclusions. It's literally not even the off-season yet!

(Either that or we are totally screwed and the world is coming to an end)

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. I think it is very possible, if not likely, that there is a larger plan in place that none of us has a clue about. The picture is only partial now, so why jump to conclusions? We all thought change was needed and we're getting it. So let's see how the dust settles before we jump to conclusions. It's literally not even the off-season yet!

(Either that or we are totally screwed and the world is coming to an end)
all or nothing approach, I like it.

I think Chillious is a net positive. More important than a recruiters ability to get a 5* guy is their actual ability to recognize talent. KO has done a very good job as far as the rankings go, but there have been some busts, too. I think Killings and Chillious will help with prioritizing who to go after. Maybe we don't pass on/cool on Bruce Brown/Bonzie Coulson if we have another talented set of eyes.

Reaction Score
Vance Sr. literally said that he and KO didn't see eye to eye on what his role for the squad should be. That's why he is transferring.

Ya I agree. I think he was using Miller as a cop out to why jr is transferring.

Basically saying....it's not just KO vs me. He also let go of miller and miller was really on our side.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Anyone worried, that Chilli was the AHC for a team that lost like 13 straight, with a top 5 NBA guy? I'm sorry to see Miller go. I'm also bothered by losing Diallo & have felt shaky about our recruiting ROI ever since. I'm saddened by our string of injuries, recent record, & defections in young talent. I'm hoping KO rights the ship & I feel better 60 days from now.

Reaction Score
Anyone worried, that Chilli was the AHC for a team that lost like 13 straight, with a top 5 NBA guy? I'm sorry to see Miller go. I'm also bothered by losing Diallo & have felt shaky about our recruiting ROI ever since. I'm saddened by our string of injuries, recent record, & defections in young talent. I'm hoping KO rights the ship & I feel better 60 days from now.

It's definitely a little worrying, but was the rest of that staff anything to write home about? I don't know but it seems like the only red flag, albeit a big one. I'm optimistic though

Reaction Score
Nope. As someone else just states, KO needs help identifying talent. This guy obviously has that in spades. That alone makes this a net positive. If KO can't coach talent, then we have our answer.

Reaction Score
Maybe Chili can put us over the edge in the Mohamed Bamba recruitment - heaven knows that would solve a few problems at once.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You have been banned for the following reason: Cox. Manchester. Out after his first post. Adios. (Bashing Ollie, then complaining

That's ur message u jackasss

Just making sure the punk ass moderator reads this. What are u a nazi? A communist? Since when cant u question a leader, a coach? When did I bash him? I can't comment that he is not performing like a D1 coach? I can tell u were a loser ur whole life now ur on a power trip because u run a blog. Hahahaa u ing clown. Stop sucking ollies dick and realize he is an awful coach. Well, if u were an actual fan u would already know that u nazi .
How did this survive the moderator and how did you know about ?

Reaction Score
We have been outstanding on the recruiting side with the EXCEPTION of our BIGS.

Chillious will help tremendously in the bigs recruiting department. Yes, you could argue that maybe Miller didn't have much to work with in terms of bigs. But you could also argue that if we recruited better bigs, you won't have to complain about Miller not being able to develop the project bigs.

Chillious will be a big help in my mind and immediately addresses some shortcomings in the staff.

Those who are acting like the program is in turmoil and that the sky is falling need to back off the ledge and look at the bigger picture. I think it's a good sign that we're making changes after mediocrity. Transfers are naturally going to happen with these types of coaching changes.
Chillius performed a miracle at south kent......recruiting is the name of the game and he's the best i've seen.....better than the squid... i think so........how good is he with big guys development?.......he's had a bunch them.....something must have happened.......an improvement on miller, who sat a kid for 2 yrs....after he got canned the kid led the ivies in scoring for 2 years.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom