Net positive - We will be better in the long run | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Net positive - We will be better in the long run

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I believe the site's profanity filter replaces certain words with "."

Either that, or the legend has spread.
In his response, you can see he typed it in so I think we are dealing with a dual personality.

Reaction Score
In his response, you can see he typed it in so I think we are dealing with a dual personality.
I just tried it and if I edited it, the curse is still there. wasn't able to quote it though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anyone worried, that Chilli was the AHC for a team that lost like 13 straight, with a top 5 NBA guy? I'm sorry to see Miller go. I'm also bothered by losing Diallo & have felt shaky about our recruiting ROI ever since. I'm saddened by our string of injuries, recent record, & defections in young talent. I'm hoping KO rights the ship & I feel better 60 days from now.
If he was head coach and we were hiring him as head coach I'd be worried. If KO did not get a NC going through some HOF coaches I'd be worried.

I'm concerned that next year we don't have a known big who can contribute. I'm concerned that the team only has two players who played significant minutes at UConn this season. I'm concerned that fans won't care that these limitations exist because they've had to deal with a slew of tough seasons. But I still think with a little luck the ship has turned for the better.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
How did this survive the moderator and how did you know about ?
I think it's hilarious so I'm not going to delete it. I bet Fishy is getting a kick out of it as well. Hopefully this doesn't mess with the site for @temery so I'm bringing him to this thread just in case. But it is a real funny tantrum. Kind of like what Oz had but on the opposite side of the coin and by a casual insane fan instead of a real insider nut.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think it's hilarious so I'm not going to delete it. I bet Fishy is getting a kick out of it as well. Hopefully this doesn't mess with the site for @temery so I'm bringing him to this thread just in case. But it is a real funny tantrum. Kind of like what Oz had but on the opposite side of the coin and by a casual insane fan instead of a real insider nut.

He posted using a couple usernames. I left his post up just in case his work Internet admin wants to track down his posts. Don't worry about it LC, I didn't contact them. But stay away. It's in your own best interest.

Worth noting: His first post covered everything already discussed in numberous threads, even in the past couple weeks. He was told as much, but I guess he still wasn't happy.

Reaction Score
He is probably disappointed that the worst poster tournament was canceled.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Look at the Washington board.

They laugh at people who think of Chillious as anything but a recruiter. He was a dispensable fall guy. He was brought in to recruit, not to coach offensive and defensive game plans like Miller did.

We're going with Ollie's style from here on out. To me that is terrifying because KO needs help on the bench.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

They laugh at people who think of Chillious as anything but a recruiter. He was a dispensable fall guy. He was brought in to recruit, not to coach offensive and defensive game plans like Miller did.

We're going with Ollie's style from here on out. To me that is terrifying because KO needs help on the bench.
I hope you didn't write this with a straight face.

Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe a kid leaves the program because an assistant was let go. Maybe Ollie is the problem? He has shown no growth as a coach, his first couple of years he thrived with very good, established players. His offense has been unwatchable at times this year, no rhythm or strategy at all. We now realize how great of a coach Calhoun was...
Our offense is very stagnant. I don't watch much college ball outside of uconn during the regular season anymore. We play ugly and force teams to play ugly which is sorta good I guess.

I watched Wichita State and Kentucky in the tournament and it was like watching a different sport offensively. Same thing with Xavier offensively. It could be due to the current construct of the team but it isn't fun to watch us pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds and Jack up contested jumpers as the clock expires. We were known for our wings playing inside and out. Everyone seemed to play out this year. This needs to be fixed asap through recruiting.

Reaction Score

what is the Wash message board link? I looked at two but didn't see anything on Coach Chill

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Our offense is very stagnant. I don't watch much college ball outside of uconn during the regular season anymore. We play ugly and force teams to play ugly which is sorta good I guess.

I watched Wichita State and Kentucky in the tournament and it was like watching a different sport offensively. Same thing with Xavier offensively. It could be due to the current construct of the team but it isn't fun to watch us pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds and Jack up contested jumpers as the clock expires. We were known for our wings playing inside and out. Everyone seemed to play out this year. This needs to be fixed asap through recruiting.
I thought the ball movement was decent this year particularly with a limited offensive option from Amida and the decimation cause by injuries. IMO you're describing the offense of the last championship season before the team clicked at the end. This team was just the diametric opposite of the "Lady Huskies" in the players ability to make open shots.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
what is the Wash message board link? I looked at two but didn't see anything on Coach Chill
It's obvious from what we read in this forum that the best information about anything can be gleaned from a fans message forum. I'd head over there if I can't get my daily dose of insanity here.:cool: If they don't have a decent pizza or beer thread take what they say with a grain of salt.

pj

Reaction Score

Great recruiters add a lot of value. Look at Calipari.

I imagine Ollie has gotten tired of getting blamed for the failure of uncoachable, undevelopable players, and also for investing tons of time in recruits who go elsewhere - Hami is only the latest.

I bet these coaches are confident that they can coach up talented, high BB IQ, coachable players. They just have to bring them in. With Chillious, they can do that.

Reaction Score
We now realize how great of a coach Calhoun was...

Minor issue but we knew how great JC was when we had him. For our program and where we came from he was the PERFECT fit. He had an eye for talent and knew who he wanted to coach. One thing I think he was just an absolute master at - his halftime adjustments were second to none. He could gameplan within the game and I always thought UConn had an advantage coming out of the locker room at the half because of JC. KO is still growing as a coach and this is something he really needs to improve on. If something isn't working you need to adjust.

Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe a kid leaves the program because an assistant was let go. Maybe Ollie is the problem? He has shown no growth as a coach, his first couple of years he thrived with very good, established players. His offense has been unwatchable at times this year, no rhythm or strategy at all. We now realize how great of a coach Calhoun was...
I've been critical of Ollie the past few years, but you're completely underselling the job he did those first two seasons.

Daniels was not established, Shabazz was inconsistent, and Boatright was just a sophomore when Ollie took over. He deserves at least some (if not a lot of) credit for their development. And that's saying nothing about the team's motivation despite a postseason ban.

Reaction Score
As time has gone on, IMO, Ollie now wants his guys, guys he hand picked that fit his criteria for an assistant. Miller and Hobbs were both leftovers from the Calhoun era. Hobbs left for Rutgers and lets face it didnt want to be at UConn or better yet didn't want to be the third guy at UConn. Ollie respected Miller as he was a tutor to him when they were both assistants. This is why he was made associate head coach. He demoted Blaney who then retired, hired and then promoted Moore, then got Killings and now Chillious.

I think this can only be seen as a positive and every CBB "expert" talking head agree this is a huge pick up. Losing Vance hurts but whats Ollie to do cave in to his father and make Vance, an unathletic shooter, the focal point of the offense. That will never happen.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Minor issue but we knew how great JC was when we had him. For our program and where we came from he was the PERFECT fit. He had an eye for talent and knew who he wanted to coach. One thing I think he was just an absolute master at - his halftime adjustments were second to none. He could gameplan within the game and I always thought UConn had an advantage coming out of the locker room at the half because of JC. KO is still growing as a coach and this is something he really needs to improve on. If something isn't working you need to adjust.
2010 demonstrated you still need to have the components to make a team run. Kemba wasn't ready to lead and Jerome was put in a position that he wasn't suited for.

You can also look at KFree's senior season and make an argument that he made a mistake putting Kevin in the 3 spot and that by sticking to that choice that season ended up worse than it might have. Personally I'm glad he gave Kevin the opportunity to prove himself at that position but as people point out this is a business so by that parameter it was a fail.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Hopefully we will get help in the front court before the season. That said, next year we will have Alterique at PG. Showed he can play well at this level before injury. Great speed and good D. Backup true PG in MAL, more speed and I hope like AG only maybe even a better scorer. Now Jalen, a true combo guard becomes even more formidable. Scorer, perpetrator, leadership but sharing the PG load. Add Vital with all he brings. Wow. Lot's of possibilities to wear down and wear out opponents. Disrupt the opponents offense like a nightmare.
Larrier a big key. I liked very much what I saw while he was healthy. I expect him to return and play better with the depth we have in back court. Back to the front court. Focus on D critical. Especially a rebounding effort above all. Not going to have Brimah's rim protection but most teams don't. Also won't have all his liabilities which were many.

I don't really expect a big year and will be pleased if we show very good improvement. Hopefully with the addition of Chillious, KO can focus on the team instead of having to do everything including recruiting.

Above all what really needs to change are the intangibles: the attitude from top to bottom from players and coaches. As others have said: no quit ever, toughness, relentless maximum effort. Make Uconn a team to be dreaded that imposes its will. Reminds me of a SI story (I think) about Mariano Rivera. Can't think of the player who said it but he said something like "I start thinking about him (Rivera) before our plane even lands in NY."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom