OT: - Nembhard Out for the Season at Creighton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Nembhard Out for the Season at Creighton

Reaction Score
A bit of recency bias here since they struggled with Depaul and Butler. Besides those two every other game decided by 5 points or less is a top 68 team on KenPom:
Wisconsin 25
Northwestern 68
TT 7
Uconn 18
Seton hall 37
Xavier 35
Marquette 32
St. John’s 66
DePaul 109
Nova 12
Butler 135
Can you agree that being 11-1 in games decided by 5 points or less in one season is a statistical anomaly?

xclamations

Windy city
Reaction Score
Perfect opportunity to run the table for the rest of reg season now. Sucks he got injured though

Reaction Score
The Providence is lucky debate is silly.

Every College Basketball season is about teams coming together and getting tough and playing better hoop. Over months. PC has a seasoned OLDER team. They played great early and sustained good play. It doesn't matter to me what players they missed (or us). The sport prioritizes your play at Championship tournament time. Younger teams can bond and become better. I am glad the Providence fan is happy; I predict (based on their recent struggle) that a darn good March team will eliminate them.

Reaction Score
Can you agree that being 11-1 in games decided by 5 points or less in one season is a statistical anomaly?
Yes, definitely. I think I just get frustrated because I perceive our fanbase frequently calling them lucky as jealously & we have no reason to be jealous whatsoever. I want a rematch to prove who is the better team - UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely. I think I just get frustrated because I perceive our fanbase frequently calling them lucky as jealously & we have no reason to be jealous whatsoever. I want a rematch to prove who is the better team - UConn.
It is not jealousy. Nationally PC is a completely irrelevant program, they have 1 tournament win since the Clinton administration. People are simply stating facts. This board is far from the only place questioning how good this PC team actually is.

Reaction Score
At this point, I’m trying to be optimistic and see it as a win-win. Either we beat Creighton, lock in the BET 3-seed, and stay hot, or they beat us, we fall to the 4, and have PC potentially in the semis for an easier road to the BE final instead of Nova.
Was going to mention that myself. Wish there were some way to beat Creighton and still meet Providence in the BET. Don't trust the Friars to make it to the final.

MJ1

Reaction Score
I believe Providence won last night’s game by 7 points. 99-92

Reaction Score
Lucky or not Providence is 23 and 3 and deserves some credit. I don’t think they are final 4 good but they can win a couple of games in the tournament.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s not jealousy; it’s insecurity.

Either way it’s weak and a bad look imo.

Reaction Score
Last night PC had two players foul out. The game was 70-70 at the end of regulation, Xavier went up 75-70 with 2:15 remaining. Jones missed a key free throw and the OT ended 75-75. That was pretty lucky.

Reaction Score
winner of our game next week in omaha gets the 3 seed as it stands. huge development.

even if Nova loses to PC and we win out Nova gets the 2 (assuming they beat butler)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last night PC had two players foul out. The game was 70-70 at the end of regulation, Xavier went up 75-70 with 2:15 remaining. Jones missed a key free throw and the OT ended 75-75. That was pretty lucky.
And Daniels (84% foul shooter) missing a 1-and-1 with 30 seconds left with Villanova up by 4 isn’t lucky?

Reaction Score
Creighton isn’t on the bubble, they’re squarely in.
as of tuesday lunardi had them as the 3rd of the "last 4 byes" teams so there were/are only 5 teams between them and the wrong side of the bubble.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I won’t pretend to have any insight into the algorithm behind the luck metric on KenPom as my AP statistics teacher in HS couldn’t have cared less about helping us learn. With that said I’d love to know why them being 11-1 in games decided by 5 points or less makes them lucky. To me that shows poise & composure when it matters most on a consistent basis, not luck.

Here's a good example: Butler had a wide-open 3 with under 5 seconds left that would have won them the game, and they missed. That has nothing to do with Providence composure.

Not to say they're a bad team, but when you play one or two possession games, one missed shot can be the difference, and having it work in your team's favor 11 out of 12 times is extremely unlikely. Even great teams don't win close games at that rate.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Clearly Providence is sending hit men to enfeeble their opponents before playing them.
The ghost of Buddy C.

Reaction Score
And Daniels (84% foul shooter) missing a 1-and-1 with 30 seconds left with Villanova up by 4 isn’t lucky?

Sure, you need some amount of luck to win a game where your opponent has a 94% win probability (as Villanova got to in the last minute). But UConn has also had plenty of situations that went the other way over the course of the season. That's normal. No one is saying that only Providence has ever experienced a lucky situation that worked out in their favor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Injured his wrist going for a steal at St. John's last night. Creighton is on the right of the bubble but they have a tough schedule coming up - @ Providence, vs. us, and vs. Hall.

Sorry to hear it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom