Nelson gets to do a victory lap | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nelson gets to do a victory lap

Reaction Score
Sorry but I don't see any way that this is a good thing unless the decision to kill off football has already been made. The NBE aint the Big East of the eighties and nineties, and going there now as opposed to 2024 has likely eliminated any chance whatsoever of a potential P5 Invite down the road. That said at least a bunch of blue hairs can enjoy nostalgia hoops against Providence and Seton Hall.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not so much actually. He never said it was going to happen, he just said that it should happen sort of. His main point was that we should drop football. The school has made it clear that that is not going to happen.

You are wrong, and I have dozens of posts on this board to prove it.

The AAC has brought the athletic program to it's knees, and likely destroyed the football program. The pro-AAC faction has been wrong every step of the way, and unless they are admitting that, they should stop posting on UConn's conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
You are wrong, and I have dozens of posts on this board to prove it.

The AAC has brought the athletic program to it's knees, and likely destroyed the football program. The pro-AAC faction has been wrong every step of the way, and unless they are admitting that, they should stop posting on UConn's conference affiliation.
No, the football program wasn't destroyed by the AAC. It was hurt by bad coaching and recruiting. Had we pulled a Temple and started winning, you'd have looked stupid, as usual.

Again, what a .

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some people see UConn as the proverbial parakeet in the coal mine, signaling that keeping the status quo is certain death.

Others refuse to acknowledge that UConn football is firmly ensconced in hospice.

Nelson is simply John Cleese. The anti-Nelsons are pining for the fjords.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Football was killed by PP and Diaco.

Men's BB was hurt by the departure of JC. He built the program and it was going to be hard to find a coach who could have carried that torch.

Basketball will be back but football...

Reaction Score
Yup major shoutout to all the Big Least lusters of the past couple years. Nelson and especially A Dime Back for their overwhelming negative vibe online towards the league and the school the past couple years. I'm sure it played a role in the worst President in UConn's history throwing in the towel in her lame duck days.

You get what you deserve when you have bad leaders in your state. The State of Connecticut has bad leaders everywhere. We got what we deserved. I feel bad for the people who will be hurt by their incompetence. Namely our fans.

A couple of bad coaching hires and we throw in the towel. Helluva effort by all involved for making it possible. Cannot wait for those home football games vs UAB (before they axe the program) and home bball vs Creighton.
No, the football program wasn't destroyed by the AAC. It was hurt by bad coaching and recruiting. Had we pulled a Temple and started winning, you'd have looked stupid, as usual.

Again, what a .

Butch is angry that progress has finally been made at UConn for the better.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is one big series of negotiations. If you're not constantly negotiating, you're the mark. UConn finally decided to show some self-respect and stop being the mark. UConn waiting for suitors to call was the death of UConn athletics. The Big East move tells others that UConn believes in itself rather than the bowling success of Houston.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I have been calling for UConn to the Big East since Louisville got the last life boat to the P5. The school finally came around.

We should have done this 6 years ago.

BS.

You've been calling for the end of football, which had the side gig of moving other sports back into the BE. You're only halfway there, and it's not decided yet.

If football, as a sport declines, this is prescient. If it doesn't, we're screwed.

Since you like building strawmen out of "scoreboard" arguments - chew on this one:
Football has been driving the college athletics bus since ~1940. Until it doesn't, you're still 1000% wrong.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
You can add all the qualifiers you want, but when he first brought up the idea of going to the NBE, he was universally panned for it and it did seem ridiculous. Yet here we are.
Just because this is what he advocated for doesn't mean he's right. That remains to be seen. And given the complete silence from the university, it may be too early for a victory lap.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
As many others have said to you and you choose to ignore, coaching hires had the biggest impact on UConn and not the AAC. KO was fine until he thought he knew best and ended his relationship with JC and then his wife. Complete Show from there on. Football had 2 horrendous hires in a row. And I saw your comment in another thread of hiring the right coach, but without the money to truly hire a great staff (see Alabama & Clemson), we were at best going to be a stepping stone. I like many others never thought we'd win a national championship in football, but I expected 8-4 seasons ,or occasionally better, were doable and that we could occasionally upset a ranked opponent, exactly where we were before Randy left.
Dan Hurley will bring us back in hoops, but somewhere down the road you'll claim it was the move to the Big East, once again ignoring the importance of the right hire.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BS.

You've been calling for the end of football, which had the side gig of moving other sports back into the BE. You're only halfway there, and it's not decided yet.

If football, as a sport declines, this is prescient. If it doesn't, we're screwed.

Since you like building strawmen out of "scoreboard" arguments - chew on this one:
Football has been driving the college athletics bus since ~1940. Until it doesn't, you're still 1000% wrong.

How does it feel to realize that your position was so completely wrong that it almost destroyed the athletic program? The decision to stay in the AAC was catastrophic, and every fan that supported it is partially responsible for the results.

I actually have two threads on the Realignment Board titled the Case for Football Independence and the Case for Football Independence II. Scoreboard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As many others have said to you and you choose to ignore, coaching hires had the biggest impact on UConn and not the AAC. KO was fine until he thought he knew best and ended his relationship with JC and then his wife. Complete Show from there on. Football had 2 horrendous hires in a row. And I saw your comment in another thread of hiring the right coach, but without the money to truly hire a great staff (see Alabama & Clemson), we were at best going to be a stepping stone. I like many others never thought we'd win a national championship in football, but I expected 8-4 seasons ,or occasionally better, were doable and that we could occasionally upset a ranked opponent, exactly where we were before Randy left.
Dan Hurley will bring us back in hoops, but somewhere down the road you'll claim it was the move to the Big East, once again ignoring the importance of the right hire.

If you are arguing for paying the same for coaches as Clemson and Alabama, then you are really delusional.

To be clear on the coaches, I called both of those right too. I hated Diaco from the beginning, and was one of the first to jump off the Pasqualoni bandwagon. The fact is though that both have been successful elsewhere, and no one else with options wanted the job. That should have told us something. There was no way for football to be successful in a southern mid-major conference.

While Ollie checked out, I think he is a good coach when he wants to be, and I think the conference situation was starting to hammer the program.

There is no debate on the impact of the conference on the Women's basketball program. Auriemma can't get out of the AAC fast enough.

Reaction Score
There is no debate on the impact of the conference on the Women's basketball program. Auriemma can't get out of the AAC fast enough.

Yeah making the F4 every year is evidence of the program's decay.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
How does it feel to realize that your position was so completely wrong that it almost destroyed the athletic program? The decision to stay in the AAC was catastrophic, and every fan that supported it is partially responsible for the results.

I actually have two threads on the Realignment Board titled the Case for Football Independence and the Case for Football Independence II. Scoreboard.

Yes, both of which are not terribly subtle ways of saying "drop football," but you always pansy out from actually saying it.

1940 vs 2 lousy threads. Scoreboard indeed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, both of which are not terribly subtle ways of saying "drop football," but you always pansy out from actually saying it.

1940 vs 2 lousy threads. Scoreboard indeed.

If you want me to keep curb stomping you, I am happy to do it.

I have been as vindicated on this topic as any poster on this board has been on any topic. You were wrong, and I was right. The evidence is overwhelming, and the University of Connecticut even agrees with me.

Scoreboard.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If you want me to keep curb stomping you, I am happy to do it.

I have been as vindicated on this topic as any poster on this board has been on any topic. You were wrong, and I was right. The evidence is overwhelming, and the University of Connecticut even agrees with me.

Scoreboard.

Sure, nostradamus. Your first thread was born our of your ""Shut the Football Program Down" thread, and says independent schedule will work "for a while" - wow, out on a limb there.

The second one has us going to the ACC for basketball only A case for football independence, Part II ). Well done.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
If you are arguing for paying the same for coaches as Clemson and Alabama, then you are really delusional.
I wish we could, but no, not advocating for it. I was pointing out that we don't have the money to hire a great or even very good staff and that we'd always be a place for a coach to earn his chops before moving up. I had no delusions of a NC for football, just to be competitive day in and day out with .500 or better records.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sure, nostradamus. Your first thread was born our of your ""Shut the Football Program Down" thread, and says independent schedule will work "for a while" - wow, out on a limb there.

The second one has us going to the ACC for basketball only A case for football independence, Part II ). Well done.

Do I really have to explain that thread to you? If you are that dense that you don't see what I was doing in that thread, then I will stop picking on you because it would be cruel.

Reaction Score
If we were going to stop trying in football around 2015, then yes, we should have just made the move in the beginning. Staying only stood a chance if we went all in. The University didn't want to take that chance, so they went half way, which was the worst possible choice.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Do I really have to explain that thread to you? If you are that dense that you don't see what I was doing in that thread, then I will stop picking on you because it would be cruel.

Yes, feel free to explain how you're 1000% right in a thread where you're 100000000% wrong. I'll wait.
I'm waiting for you to say something like "I'm a righty who likes being right and righting"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we were going to stop trying in football around 2015, then yes, we should have just made the move in the beginning. Staying only stood a chance if we went all in. The University didn't want to take that chance, so they went half way, which was the worst possible choice.

We would have been more attractive to the Big 12 in 2016 as Big East basketball and football independent. If the football team gets an SNY deal, which I expect, it would validate the independent value of our program to the ACC and Big 10 in a way that we never could inside another conference. The AAC was always going to be an anchor (in a bad way) on UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We would have been more attractive to the Big 12 in 2016 as Big East basketball and football independent. If the football team gets an SNY deal, which I expect, it would validate the independent value of our program to the ACC and Big 10 in a way that we never could inside another conference. The AAC was always going to be an anchor (in a bad way) on UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
CloseAdeptAmericanwirehair-small.gif

Nelson in the argument about which is better: Continuing in the AAC hell hole, or joining Big East for all sports and Football independence

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom