Neil's Giffey deserves a thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Neil's Giffey deserves a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
It is pretty nice how Ollie has been able to allocate minutes so far this season. Of course it will tighten up a bit as the season moves to conference play and against higher rated opponents, but 8 guys over 15 a game, with Samuel at about 10 and only Boat and Napier over 23, at 29? And 31 respectively.

I hope against the weaker parts of the schedule this can be maintained. Keep kids fresh for the games that will be battles and get the youngsters more action.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
it'll be a toss up to end games between Giffey and Calhoun ; whichever has the hot hand. kromah is close behind ; he really stepped his energy up last night defensively and showed me something. He's a terrific athlete and very nice iso player. throughout the flow of the game ollie will have a chance to really mix things up, it'll be hard to scout us.
Kromah just missed two shots on incredible drives to the basket and his defense was outstanding.

I have no clue whether Niels will get to the NBA or not but the first 0-5 game he has there are two posters who will declare NG is a loser and ridicule all of us who think NG has a chance to get in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Before we talk about greatness we need to see a 2nd half performance. Its really weird how this has turned out so far for him.

If/when he puts 2 halves together he could have a Rashard Kemba type year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Before we talk about greatness we need to see a 2nd half performance. Its really weird how this has turned out so far for him.

Some of this is Niels not asserting himself, some is tighter defense and some is utilizing NG on the perimeter to develop plays which get the front court involved. OC and NG can be zone busters just on reputation alone. If they continue to make the 3's it will increase the ability of SN and RB to penetrate zones and either score or dish to the interior. This team is really developing as a well rounded team. I'm less worried about DD than most. I'm hoping PN and or AB can continue completing the few chances they get and start to create on their own.

Regarding Niels I'm more interested in seeing how he responds if he has a poor shooting performance in the first half and teams play off him in the second half.

Reaction Score
Niels currently ranks 6th out of all Division 1 players in the country for best 3 pt percentage!!! And he by far has made the most 3s out of the players in the top 10!!! We are very fortunate to have such a dedicated hard working young man.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points

If you use Kirk Goldsberry's "ShotScore" metric, which he unveiled on Grantland over the summer, Giffey towers over everyone in this category (albeit through just 3 games). ShotScore basically = what you're saying, i.e., "almost the best" with many more shot attempts ultimately means the best in that category. The example used was LeBron shooting 58% or whatever last year is much more impressive than Deandre Jordan or Drummond shooting the same percentage, considering the number of shots he takes and from where on the floor they come.

Reaction Score
NG has been outstanding this year and im thrilled for him because hes a great kid. He and omar in the game together with bazz at the point could wreak a havoc on any team who tries to play zone. they can flat out shoot and do so quickly. even in a man to man defense if bazz drives opposing players are going to have to help which leaves either omar or ng open for the shot. if no help arrives then bazz can get to the basket for the score,foul or and 1.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
NG has been outstanding this year and im thrilled for him because hes a great kid. He and omar in the game together with bazz at the point could wreak a havoc on any team who tries to play zone. they can flat out shoot and do so quickly. even in a man to man defense if bazz drives opposing players are going to have to help which leaves either omar or ng open for the shot. if no help arrives then bazz can get to the basket for the score,foul or and 1.
Check out the article Sammy links in the news section above. The Detroit team had Niels marked.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Collegiate wise, he reminds me of Adam Morrison so far. At least in the 1st half.

He pulls off facial hair better than Morrison. He doesn't look like the Pringles logo.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see how a Napier/Calhoun/Giffey backcourt looks. I know people are concerned with the ball handling, but honestly I think Calhoun and Giffey are good enough to supplement Napier. It just means there will be more passing rather than dribbling in the offense. (not a bad thing..)

Reaction Score
He's always had the talent and his consistent production on defense proves it. He just seemed much more hesitant to shoot, which might be a consequence of playing for Calhoun and his shorter hook initially. His comfort level has gone way up and his production has followed. Even in his interviews - his English was always very good but now he seems more at home speaking the language. Seems like a class act through and through, could not be happier for his success.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
In addition to his lights out shooting and boxes outs, I was also impressed with his athletic jump, hop step and floater. That was some nice slashing there. Very impressed.

And if he keeps shooting well, even once he regresses to the mean, all he's gonna have to do is raise his eyebrows when he catches a pass on the wing, and he'll have his guy in the air. That drive to the hoop will be there for him all year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He's always had the talent and his consistent production on defense proves it. He just seemed much more hesitant to shoot, which might be a consequence of playing for Calhoun and his shorter hook initially. His comfort level has gone way up and his production has followed. Even in his interviews - his English was always very good but now he seems more at home speaking the language. Seems like a class act through and through, could not be happier for his success.
I think he also deferred to other players out of respect. He's that type of kid. That changed this season. It's a healthy change for him. He's benefitting from it. And so are we.

MrP

Reaction Score
My crew called him fish fry

I don't remember hearing you guys call him this Kev. Where'd it originate?

I always tried to make "Neo" stick (Mr. Anderson, the "one", etc.) but instead we just went with "knifey" after his fake knife, Scream mask prank

Reaction Score
Honestly if he averages out still as a great 3 shooter, there's no way he doesn't get drafted. He might play in Germany for a year or two, but Dirk himself will just bully Cuban into drafting him with whatever late 2nd round pick they have to get some countrymen on the squad
If he continues the play like he has the past few games, he has a great shot at being drafted. Now I'm not saying he's going to continue to average 80 percent from beyond the arc, but his overall game and athleticism looks draft worthy. If he was only a three point shooter, I could see why people might think he's not an NBA talent. Niels has good size, defends well, and can score off the dribble, all things that translate to the next level. He might be low end in all those areas as far as NBA levels. But if he shows he can be elite in three point shooting, that will propel him into the draft. There have been enough players with his level and type of skills that have made it to the league and stuck for a while.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't remember hearing you guys call him this Kev. Where'd it originate?

I always tried to make "Neo" stick (Mr. Anderson, the "one", etc.) but instead we just went with "knifey" after his fake knife, Scream mask prank
I'm not sure to be honest. I always thought it came from an interview somewhere along the way.

Reaction Score
"Rifleman"? He was known as the knifeman when I was bangin

I remember watching a cbs televised game in which Bill Raftery referred to him as the rifleman, from then it stuck with me and my friends.

I'm not the only one, see the link below

http://uconn.blogs.com/huskyblog/2005/12/uconn_men_versu_3.html

Rashad Anderson: 28 minutes, 7-14 FGs, 2-6 3PTs, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 20 points. The Rifleman kept the Huskies afloat early in the game and continued his best string of play since the championship run in 2004

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A properly executed pick-and-roll can be though of as a pick your poison play. We are seeing a lot of that with SN and NG. Consequently I envision games where a team picks its poison and we should see either SN or NG score in bunches. When teams defend it well, I hope our team can find other open options. Otherwise the SN/NG tandem, when they are together on the floor, is going to drive opponents crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom