Neil's Giffey deserves a thread | The Boneyard

Neil's Giffey deserves a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As impressive as Shabazz always is, and the surprise impact of Brimah, no one has impressed me more than Giffey. I had a feeling he was in for a big year after all the reports of his performance this summer, but I never saw this coming, kid has been lights out from three, drives the ball with confidence, and never seems out of position on D. I known don't have to say this, but enjoy this season everybody we have a special group of players here.

Reaction Score
Collegiate wise, he reminds me of Adam Morrison so far. At least in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
I labeled him an elite '3+D' guy before the season started, looking like that's coming to fruition. after seeing him vs France twice , it was clear he's a better player than Evan Fournier-- who is getting burn on the nuggets. coupled with his elite shooting, the guy is so tough and scrappy. he needs to be on floor to end games, Too smart to leave on the bench

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Don't know if it was on purpose or a mistake...but the scoreboard last night had his first name "Niels" while the other players on the floor had their last names listed. Student section had the German flag too. A crowd favorite. His game has developed where he has become an instant impact player on both ends.

Reaction Score
If this keeps up all year can he play in the league?

Reaction Score
If this keeps up all year can he play in the league?

I said it an another thread, but he's really starting to remind me of when Danny Green emerged for UNC. It took Green awhile of bouncing b/w the NBA & the DLeague before he broke thru with the Spurs, with the money that Giffey can make in Europe he might just decide to go that route right off the bat instead of trying to give it a shot.

Reaction Score
I never thought Giffey had a shot at the NBA. But if he shoots 84% from three all season, my guess is he'll get drafted. :p

Reaction Score
Great year so far for him. if teams keep leaving him open he can definitely shoot 50+%. If they stay with him on pick and pop plays, than the guards are gonna absolutely dominate without a 2nd defender hedging them. Hence the reason why our offense is going to be very difficult to stop.

He won't get drafted, but he can make a roster. players get drafted on upside, but make rosters based on filling a need off the bench (spot up shooter, solid defender against opposing 3s, good passer from the perimeter)

Reaction Score
Not to deviate too far from the OP, but this is going to start becoming a very complicated situation (in a good way). Obviously there is going to be some regression to the mean in regards to Giffey, but he's already established himself as a potent three point shooter who is also capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim. Add in his screening capacity, and suddenly Napier and Giffey have emerged as one of the deadliest pick and roll tandems in the land. Oh yeah, and he's also one of the best defensive players in the country (if you watch the tape, this isn't as much of an exaggeration as you might think) who can guard three, sometimes four positions. In other words, while everybody expected him to be an important contributor, he may have turned out to be more than that...he may be, dare I say it, a great player. Maybe the Kyle Singler comparisons weren't so far off - matter of fact, if Kyle Singler can play 23 minutes a game in the NBA, there is no reason Giffey can't carve out a roster spot.

There is only one problem: Omar Calhoun and DeAndre Daniels are really good, too. Calhoun is averaging 15 a game this season and shooting 50% from three. He looks far more agile than he did at any point last season, he gets to the line, and he's far less of a liability defensively than he was last season (just as I suspected, the hip was hampering him more than he ever let on last year). Daniels is off to a slow start, but let's not let three games skew an off-season's worth of articles billing him as a lottery pick. Let's also not forget he went toe to toe with the #3 pick in the draft last season.

So, who sits? It can't be Boatright - for as good as Calhoun, Daniels, and Giffey have been, none of them can re-produce the complementary ball-handling and play-making ability Boatright possesses. To date, everything has worked itself out. In the first game, Napier fouled out. In the second game, Daniels was struggling. Last night, all the starters were out of the game by the 12 minute mark in the second half. At some point, Daniels, Calhoun, and Giffey are all going to be firing on all cylinders, and I just don't know how you can take any of them out of the game at that point. Personally, I'd like to see more of the ultra-small Napier-Boatright-Calhoun-Daniels-Giffey lineup we saw towards the end of last season (It was more a product of desperation, but it was still effective). For whatever they'd lack in bulk (admittedly, they'd probably be carved on the boards), they'd be equally terrifying on the other end of the court. I think how Ollie monitors this dynamic will be the toughest piece of coaching he's had to do since arriving here.

Reaction Score
Honestly if he averages out still as a great 3 shooter, there's no way he doesn't get drafted. He might play in Germany for a year or two, but Dirk himself will just bully Cuban into drafting him with whatever late 2nd round pick they have to get some countrymen on the squad

Reaction Score
There is only one problem: Omar Calhoun and DeAndre Daniels are really good, too. Calhoun is averaging 15 a game this season and shooting 50% from three. He looks far more agile than he did at any point last season, he gets to the line, and he's far less of a liability defensively than he was last season (just as I suspected, the hip was hampering him more than he ever let on last year). Daniels is off to a slow start, but let's not let three games skew an off-season's worth of articles billing him as a lottery pick. Let's also not forget he went toe to toe with the #3 pick in the draft last season.

So, who sits? It can't be Boatright - for as good as Calhoun, Daniels, and Giffey have been, none of them can re-produce the complementary ball-handling and play-making ability Boatright possesses. To date, everything has worked itself out. In the first game, Napier fouled out. In the second game, Daniels was struggling. Last night, all the starters were out of the game by the 12 minute mark in the second half. At some point, Daniels, Calhoun, and Giffey are all going to be firing on all cylinders, and I just don't know how you can take any of them out of the game at that point. Personally, I'd like to see more of the ultra-small Napier-Boatright-Calhoun-Daniels-Giffey lineup we saw towards the end of last season (It was more a product of desperation, but it was still effective). For whatever they'd lack in bulk (admittedly, they'd probably be carved on the boards), they'd be equally terrifying on the other end of the court. I think how Ollie monitors this dynamic will be the toughest piece of coaching he's had to do since arriving here.

I guess it comes down to the match up that night. While we have 8-10 players who bring a lot to the table, everyone of them has a weakness and could struggle against certain players. bazz and boat are small. Others lack quickness or mass. some are not as skilled as others. If ollie and the staff can piece everything together, than this is definitely a top 10 team that will be favored against everyone they play aside from a few teams. It's important to blow out these weak teams so ollie can experiment with a ton of different lineups and see everyone play solid minutes.

Reaction Score
Honestly if he averages out still as a great 3 shooter, there's no way he doesn't get drafted. He might play in Germany for a year or two, but Dirk himself will just bully Cuban into drafting him with whatever late 2nd round pick they have to get some countrymen on the squad

If he shoots over 60% from 3 at high volume, than he will get some looks. Spacing in the NBA is so important. However, it has to be an eye popping high percent for him to have a good chance. This is an extremely deep draft. I'm sure a good word from Dirk wouldn't hurt :)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
What impresses me most is his feel for the game. A big part of the reason why he is shooting so well, is that he knows how to move to the right position, when he gets there he is ready to catch and shoot and he knows when the shot or drive is not there & makes that decision in a split second. He knows his limitations and doesn't try to go beyond them. That is why he has been much less productive offensively in the second half...opposing coaches at half-time have instructed their teams to key on him and not leave him open. So, NG doesn't force his shots and because the defender is glued to him, it opens up opportunities for the other players.
I think most of us were shocked when we heard that he was starting for the German national team, but the reasons above plus his consistently solid defense (stays in front of his man, doesn't commit reach-in fouls, quickly moves to get position and box out then sheds the box to pursue the ball quickly). This type of smart basketball allows him to not be a liability, even at the highest level of International basketball. Clearly, he has been a diligent student of the game over the last 3+ years at UConn and I am thrilled to have him on the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it'll be a toss up to end games between Giffey and Calhoun ; whichever has the hot hand. kromah is close behind ; he really stepped his energy up last night defensively and showed me something. He's a terrific athlete and very nice iso player. throughout the flow of the game ollie will have a chance to really mix things up, it'll be hard to scout us.

Reaction Score
IMG_05141_zps23160165.jpg
White Lightning...He's pretty good at ladder ball too! He showed up at our Michigan tailgate. Not drinking, totally sober, having a good time with everyone and played ladder ball with us! Good guy!

Reaction Score
Last night on the WTIC post game show, coach Miller said Giffey is leading the country in first-half scoring!!
That is impressive.

I thought Niels would have a good year, but he's been better than expected!

Reaction Score
When you think perimeter shooting, R Anderson comes to mind, it's quite possible that a new era has begun with Giffey. It's hard to replace the "Rifleman", but if anyone can claim that title, it may be Giffey.

gallery15.jpg

Giffey+Jumper+Stony+Brook.jpg

Reaction Score
So far it appears that Ollie and the rest of the staff are doing a great job of coaching players up. Everyone seems to have come back improved, even Tolksdorf in his limited minutes is looking good.

Very exciting.

Reaction Score
Not to deviate too far from the OP, but this is going to start becoming a very complicated situation (in a good way). Obviously there is going to be some regression to the mean in regards to Giffey, but he's already established himself as a potent three point shooter who is also capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim. Add in his screening capacity, and suddenly Napier and Giffey have emerged as one of the deadliest pick and roll tandems in the land. Oh yeah, and he's also one of the best defensive players in the country (if you watch the tape, this isn't as much of an exaggeration as you might think) who can guard three, sometimes four positions. In other words, while everybody expected him to be an important contributor, he may have turned out to be more than that...he may be, dare I say it, a great player. Maybe the Kyle Singler comparisons weren't so far off - matter of fact, if Kyle Singler can play 23 minutes a game in the NBA, there is no reason Giffey can't carve out a roster spot.

You have made a junior year Kemba jump from good poster to arguably the best. Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
In addition to his lights out shooting and boxes outs, I was also impressed with his athletic jump, hop step and floater. That was some nice slashing there. Very impressed.

As impressive as Shabazz always is, and the surprise impact of Brimah, no one has impressed me more than Giffey. I had a feeling he was in for a big year after all the reports of his performance this summer, but I never saw this coming, kid has been lights out from three, drives the ball with confidence, and never seems out of position on D. I known don't have to say this, but enjoy this season everybody we have a special group of players here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom