Needs more love | The Boneyard

Needs more love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am fairly new to the form. Am I wrong in saying I think Ann Strother should get more love in the Boneyard?Her numbers — 1,699 points, 614 rebounds, 418 assists, 119 steals, and 120 blocked shots — are worthy. Her performances in the postseason — twice a member of the NCAA all-Final Four teams, the Most Outstanding Player of the 2006 Big East tournament, in a select group of UConn players to be named to a postseason all-tournament team each of her four years — are worthy.

Reaction Score
I am fairly new to the form. Am I wrong in saying I think Ann Strother should get more love in the Boneyard?Her numbers — 1,699 points, 614 rebounds, 418 assists, 119 steals, and 120 blocked shots — are worthy. Her performances in the postseason — twice a member of the NCAA all-Final Four teams, the Most Outstanding Player of the 2006 Big East tournament, in a select group of UConn players to be named to a postseason all-tournament team each of her four years — are worthy.
Ann had 290 career 3-pointers. I think that's 3rd in UCONN history (KML 398 = #1 NCAA all-time, DT 316)

upload_2016-6-7_17-52-3.png

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think you are absolutely right. She seems to bear the burden of being a number 1 recruit but not becoming the next superstar. And recall she was way high in career threes when she graduated.

Reaction Score
I think you are absolutely right. She seems to bear the burden of being a number 1 recruit but not becoming the next superstar. And recall she was way high in career threes when she graduated.
I believe she was DTs wingman for 2 of her college years.

Reaction Score
Ann is also one of the prettiest girl in UConn. She was a fashion model for 1 year after leaving UConn.

Reaction Score
The type of player and teammate Diana was made all them players better in 03-04.That is why IMO Taurasi is still the GOAT at Uconn!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But Ann is the better ball handler.
Not so sure about that. I think KLS has a little more edge to her also. But we'll see how it plays out the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. I think KLS has a little more edge to her also. But we'll see how it plays out the next 3 years.
I am sure. Been watching KLS for 4-5 years now.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The type of player and teammate Diana was made all them players better in 03-04.That is why IMO Taurasi is still the GOAT at Uconn!

Hmm. You're definitely waaaay under-valuing Ann here. She was literally the consensus #1 kid out of high school.

HGN

Reaction Score
MDoggie , I agree. And at most schools with those type numbers , any BB player would receive the vast majority of accolades given. But at UConn , Ann is one of many players with outstanding production. Though her numbers are noteworthy many players may sometimes get lost when accolades are thrown around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Strother is good example of how hard it is to be elite athlete. Her athleticism is far and away better than the vast majority of the board at their peak (and that's being generous, but who knows Taurasi or Bird could be lurking.) Yet she couldn't carry the team the way some of our greats have. For whatever reason, she couldn't quite turn the corner to "superstar" status. There's a reason why we celebrate those that do and that's because it is incredibly difficult.

Still, she was on two national championship teams and was the BET MOP at least once, IIRC. By any reasonable standard, that is an outstanding collegiate career but, spoiled by success, we've long stopped being "reasonable" as fans. So, if Ann didn't quite live up to fan expectations, that is only because at UConn those expectations are extraordinarily high.

By the way, Ann does get "love" on the board, as this thread comes up periodically. Here's the last time. Link

Reaction Score
Strother is good example of how hard it is to be elite athlete. Her athleticism is far and away better than the vast majority of the board at their peak (and that's being generous, but who knows Taurasi or Bird could be lurking.) Yet she couldn't carry the team the way some of our greats have. For whatever reason, she couldn't quite turn the corner to "superstar" status. There's a reason why we celebrate those that do and that's because it is incredibly difficult.

Still, she was on two national championship teams and was the BET MOP at least once, IIRC. By any reasonable standard, that is an outstanding collegiate career but, spoiled by success, we've long stopped being "reasonable" as fans. So, if Ann didn't quite live up to fan expectations, that is only because at UConn those expectations are extraordinarily high.

By the way, Ann does get "love" on the board, as this thread comes up periodically. Here's the last time. Link
I agree, Ann benifitted greatly from playing the wing as D penetrated and drew the defense, much like Kaleen took advantage of Mo's dish to the wing.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Strother was under a lot of pressure with the departure of Taurasi. I don't think pressure play was her strong suit. I always thought of her as a complimentary player, talented but not the type to put a team on her back.

Unfortunately, my Strother memories are a couple of missed free throws against UTenn and a missed basket followed by an out of control, panicked drive that lost a game to BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom