I’m glad we showed guts and saw a glimmer of great play at times

Reaction Score
I’d start Hawkins for whalley
Not that whalley has been bad in anyway
But we need more spacing
We can play 2 bigs at times of course
But time to change up

I wouldn’t overthink Hawkins hitting a few garbage time threes while both novas starting guards were out.

He needs to figure out why he can’t dribble. I honestly have no idea how someone who can’t dribble was Maryland player of the year

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t overthink Hawkins hitting a few garbage time threes while both novas starting guards were out.

He needs to figure out why he can’t dribble. I honestly have no idea how someone who can’t dribble was Maryland player of the year
Nah. He hit them when we were playing our best. We have a big need to open space. We need some dribble drive penetration as well. Only way to do that is by playing smaller. I kind of hate saying out whalley on bench because he plays so hard but we need cohesion

Reaction Score
I’d start Hawkins for whalley
Not that whalley has been bad in anyway
But we need more spacing
We can play 2 bigs at times of course
But time to change up
I hate to say but how much if this falls on akoks lack of production? I feel the entire vision of this team has been shattered and it seems to gravitate around that ever so likable young man. Hurts to say.

Reaction Score

I guess you missed him dribble driving to below the FT line and making a good pass for Whaley for an easy bucket. Hawkins is a freshman and should be playing more to develop. It is obvious now that who is starting we aren't going to win with so why not mix it up and open up the court. It would have been nice if Whaley had worked on a consistent outside shot this offseason.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1st anyone who would sit IW needs their head examined - he is the only junkyard dog this team has
I would start RJ , Hawk, Martin IW and Sanogo
Saying Hawkins can't dribble and questioning his ball handling as the Maryland POY obviously never watched then and now

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I think you mean Hawkins. Polley is what he is now. A 33% shooter from 3 who brings nothing else. At least Hawkins has shown glimpses of drives and a mid range game. He is a Freshman and needs to develop now.
I agree Hawkins needs minutes but Polley has been playing decent not great as of late. It’s more to pull a guy out on him to give sanogo more room to work.

Reaction Score
I agree Hawkins needs minutes but Polley has been playing decent not great as of late. It’s more to pull a guy out on him to give sanogo more room to work.
No I agree on what you mean. I just think starting Hawkins makes more sense now and keep Polley as a super sub. Hopefully both can become consistent from outside as we need this to open things up inside for Sanogo and Cole to drive.

Reaction Score

Hawkins can score a lot in a hurry. We need to live with the negatives in hope the positives outweigh them. Just an opinion but Polley is not providing the shooting we need nor is any other guard but Cole and it's not enough.

Reaction Score
I think today put the start polley debate to rest. He ended up checking in within 3 minutes of the start and brought nothing to the table. It’s mystifying that he struggles so much, he boulder be putting up an air ball off the dribble like he did.
Jackson’s spot could be in some trouble, once he went up and got his shot blocked it was like all the wind got knocked out of his sails right away. I really hope he develops some mental toughness to fight through a poor start and stay confident and aggressive.

Reaction Score
I hate to say but how much if this falls on akoks lack of production? I feel the entire vision of this team has been shattered and it seems to gravitate around that ever so likable young man. Hurts to say.
You’re not serious right? We’re over a year removed from his injury and even for the delusional on this board Akok wasn’t expected to contribute a ton, let alone “shatter the entire vision of this team” because he’s not playing well in the two minutes he gets a game. There are around 55 different things wrong with this team and his lack of production is #49. Love the guy but this take is something.

Reaction Score
Nah. He hit them when we were playing our best. We have a big need to open space. We need some dribble drive penetration as well. Only way to do that is by playing smaller. I kind of hate saying out whalley on bench because he plays so hard but we need cohesion

By putting Isaiah on the bench the cohesion we will lose defensively will not be made up by a few jump shots. I mean I want to see more Hawkins but his defense right now is Polley-esque at best. We’d lose much more than we’d gain I’m afraid.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Polley?

Why? He's had about 5 good games in 5 years. OK, I'm embellishing a tad, but not much.

Polley is not the solution to any problem
Yeah it’s a real awkward career, guy really isn’t a good shooter at all but gets the reputation that he does after saving us from 4-5 games in 5 years.

Hawkins time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I’m good with the starting lineup as is. He should be the first off the bench and play much more but he has to play with Cole and Sanogo. He also has to stop playing timid and play physically bigger than he is.

If he starts for anyone maybe Martin?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Well taking Whalley out is a mistake in my opinion. He comes up with big rebounds, tap and follow up with missed shot. He had a huge game two nights ago? Hawkins is a Freshman. He looks confused at times. He could sink a three and put up a few clunkers. He is going to be a great player. However, young, and it shows right now.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
At this point I'd say start Hawkins for Jackson. I like the idea of Jackson off the bench cause he can basically play any position and provide a spark. I'm not ready to take Whaley out of the lineup, but there is part of me that thinks we should start our best offensive lineup to avoid these slow starts we've seen recently

Reaction Score
Polley is a great shooter in regular life. Turn on the bright lights and he chokes. Beautiful stroke but doesn’t have the confidence he needs.

Hawkins, Martin and Polley need to flash to the free throw line and get something going midrange now and then. It would help compensate for the lack of penetration.

Whaley needs to shoot more threes. He stands out at the top of the arc and catches the ball in an odd position with his feet spread 5 feet apart and looks to pass it right away. Then, like against Creighton, he regroups now and then and takes the open 3. He should be catching that ball ready to shoot it. He should have taken twice as many 3’s against Creighton, they weren’t even guarding him.

Reaction Score
Put him in for Jackson. His highlight reel dunks are good for 2. It is almost embarrassing the way teams drop off him at the 3-point line and sag on Sanogo. Yesterday once again he didn’t even try to take wide open 3s. I kinda feel bad for him when that happens. Gillespie ate him up when they tried him on defense, I assume because they figured Cole couldn’t handle him. Hawkins doesnt bring that much, but at least the other guys need to respect his shot. Oh, and I agree that Jackson looked totally deflated when his shot got blocked. It was kind of like welcome to the big time kid. You ain’t in Georgetown any more.

People who want to replace Whaley really need to find another sport to watch. On a really good team, he is the perfect complimentary player. On this he is glue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom