Need some opinions on the the upcoming season!! | The Boneyard

Need some opinions on the the upcoming season!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Its always an exciting time in the preseason as players are back on campus and getting reacquainted with each other. There is usually a crispness in the air and bouncing of basketballs on the hardwood is near!! YAY!:)

I have been reading on various blogs, magazines, and ESPN sites about the Preseason rankings and it got me to thinking about teams and their upcoming season and the ones that stood out to me.

STANFORD--Everyone seems to have the Cardinal ranked in the top 5 across the nation. May I be a tad skeptical??? :( They still have the Ogwumike sister's (which are fantastic), but guard play could be their downfall this season. They do have some talented freshman guards, but they are just that, freshman. Yea, i know we had Hartley, but I just worry that the backcourt could be their demise. I really like Tara and the Cardinal and follow them during the season, but their back court concerns me a bit.

TEXAS A&M--I think they may be bit under rated. YES, they lost Adams and Colson, but the 3 returners are great and they add Kelsey Bone. She is a dynamite player and can anchor the A&M post. They also have 6-5 Kara Gilbert and I believe one of those freshman are 6-7 Rachel Mitchell. I just feel that A&M could make a very deep run this season. We will see how well as they battle UCONN in the early season.

TENNESSEE--I still feel that until this senior team can stand up and show what they got, then this will be another disappointing year in Knoxville. The will also likely have a short and inexperienced bench. Brewer's transfer leaves Johnson ( foul prone ) and Baugh ( injury prone) to hold down the post while Summitt and crew get the freshman accoladed to how the show runs. Also Massengale will help them, but she is a freshman and will need some adjustment time. I dont really know how or where to rank them in the season. Will just to see how it plays out I guess.

LOUISVILLE--Another team who I think may be under rated just a bit. The didnt really lose that much last season and return Schimmel and Reid. We cant forget that got 6-4 UNC transfer Cierra Warren who will give them bulk and size inside. I just think Walz could put together a fantastic team this year who will challenge many.

Those are just a few questions and comments I had. ANY input is welcome as I like to have these discussions. Passes the time until the season starts. And PLEASE add some teams to the list if you feel that they are either over or under rated.

Thanks!!

GO UCONN!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You want opinions? You've come to the right place!!!

STANFORD--Everyone seems to have the Cardinal ranked in the top 5 across the nation. May I be a tad skeptical??? :( They still have the Ogwumike sister's (which are fantastic), but guard play could be their downfall this season. They do have some talented freshman guards, but they are just that, freshman. Yea, i know we had Hartley, but I just worry that the backcourt could be their demise. I really like Tara and the Cardinal and follow them during the season, but their back court concerns me a bit.

They lost Pohlen and Peterson. HUGE losses. I think this will hurt them more than others seem to think. Almost half their assists by two players and now they are gone. And almost half of their made 3 pointers between two players and ...well you get the picture. Intangibles? Leadership? It's something that is not easy to replace.

TEXAS A&M--I think they may be bit under rated. YES, they lost Adams and Colson, but the 3 returners are great and they add Kelsey Bone. She is a dynamite player and can anchor the A&M post. They also have 6-5 Kara Gilbert and I believe one of those freshman are 6-7 Rachel Mitchell. I just feel that A&M could make a very deep run this season. We will see how well as they battle UCONN in the early season.

Yet to be seen. Again, they lost tremendous leadership capabilities and their go to scorer by a huge margin. I don't think they are underrated. Bone is terrific, but it will be quite the change in style.

TENNESSEE--I still feel that until this senior team can stand up and show what they got, then this will be another disappointing year in Knoxville. The will also likely have a short and inexperienced bench. Brewer's transfer leaves Johnson ( foul prone ) and Baugh ( injury prone) to hold down the post while Summitt and crew get the freshman accoladed to how the show runs. Also Massengale will help them, but she is a freshman and will need some adjustment time. I dont really know how or where to rank them in the season. Will just to see how it plays out I guess.

I expect them to run roughshod over the SEC. It's a weak league again. Just look at the pre-season wooden award list. Only 3 from that conference and 2 were from UT. They have a challanging OOC schedule as usual, so we will find out about them quickly. They have underachieved the last 3 years, although they have improved each season.

LOUISVILLE--Another team who I think may be under rated just a bit. The didnt really lose that much last season and return Schimmel and Reid. We cant forget that got 6-4 UNC transfer Cierra Warren who will give them bulk and size inside. I just think Walz could put together a fantastic team this year who will challenge many.

I have to admit, I don't know much about them yet. But Walz is a terrific coach. That much I know.

Reaction Score
BASKETBALL opinion. Go ahead, it would be a first.
Gee, Nan, you couldn't even needle me without stealing an old doggydaddy line! But, here goes -

Notre Dame - Somehow left off the list above, but I think you may have the right idea, HuskyFan1125. Until Jewell Loyd arrives on the scene, I expect some backsliding on the part of the Golden Gomers. I'll bet this coming season is a disappointment for Muffet, when she again fails to win the Big East [for the what-teenth time?] and somehow every shot doesn't magically fall into the basket as they seemed to in the NCAAs last year. Simply put, I don't think they can repeat last year's success. Oh wait, ND went 31-8 last season ... can they do 29-9 this year?

Kentucky - How soon they forget! The team that is destined to replace Tennessee as the SEC champion, and nobody's even talking about them. Boo-hoo! Is the magic gone before it appeared full bloom?

North Carolina - Sylvia Hatchell just got two verbals from a pair of Siamese twins joined at the hand who make an intimidating blocking duo in the post, thus completing half her recruiting class for 2025. Unfortunately, it does diddly squat for the Tarheels this season.

Oklahoma! - A great musical, not so great in wcbb. Why is this team always ranked around the mid-teens?
Can't they find the formula to slip down into the mid-twenties?

Nebraska - Jimmy the Greek is offering 50,000:1 odds against the Cornhuskers' winning 20 straight this season. I'm thinking of taking that bet for $10, 'cause I could use the padding in my retirement account if Connie Yori comes through for me.

Maybe more to follow later, but J.Lo is on hold and she gets mad at me when that happens.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Gee, Nan, you couldn't even needle me without stealing an old doggydaddy line! But, here goes -

Notre Dame - Somehow left off the list above, but I think you may have the right idea, HuskyFan1125. Until Jewell Loyd arrives on the scene, I expect some backsliding on the part of the Golden Gomers. I'll bet this coming season is a disappointment for Muffet, when she again fails to win the Big East [for the what-teenth time?] and somehow every shot doesn't magically fall into the basket as they seemed to in the NCAAs last year. Simply put, I don't think they can repeat last year's success. Oh wait, ND went 31-8 last season ... can they do 29-9 this year?

Kentucky - How soon they forget! The team that is destined to replace Tennessee as the SEC champion, and nobody's even talking about them. Boo-hoo! Is the magic gone before it appeared full bloom?

North Carolina - Sylvia Hatchell just got two verbals from a pair of Siamese twins joined at the hand who make an intimidating blocking duo in the post, thus completing half her recruiting class for 2025. Unfortunately, it does diddly squat for the Tarheels this season.

Oklahoma! - A great musical, not so great in wcbb. Why is this team always ranked around the mid-teens?
Can't they find the formula to slip down into the mid-twenties?

Nebraska - Jimmy the Greek is offering 50,000:1 odds against the Cornhuskers' winning 20 straight this season. I'm thinking of taking that bet for $10, 'cause I could use the padding in my retirement account if Connie Yori comes through for me.

Maybe more to follow later, but J.Lo is on hold and she gets mad at me when that happens.

Thanks for the comments!

I agree on ND for long term. I see them as a preseason favorite, but they could easily slide down. IF Peters gets into foul trouble, they really only have Achonwa left...thats it!
So it depletes their inside game somewhat. They go head to head with Tennessee, which should be a good game!

Oklahoma always seems to pull it out at the end. Heck they made it to two straight final fours and the 2nd without a Paris!! So you never know with them...I like Coach Coale, so I will be ruiting for them...

Kentucky is another one.....although Stallworth has to set out a season and Walker will only be able to start after Christmas, they still could be a force in the SEC, especially if the Vols get into some foul trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom