OT: - Need some good news | The Boneyard

OT: Need some good news

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Somebody told me after my vascular surgery in May, that I must be a cat, because I seem to have 9 lives.
Unfortunately, by my count, I'm down to my last one.
Enjoyed a great day catching stripers on the river on Thursday. Got home and was busy getting the boat and my gear ready to do it again on Friday and Saturday. Bent over to climb out of the boat and felt a twinge behind my knee. Not really a pain, just 'something'. And I knew that I had to sit down before I fell over. Eventually managed to get out of the boat and put stuff away. Shortly after laying down in bed, my entire leg was in pain. Especially my foot, which was frigid to the touch. Spent most of the night sitting up with my feet on the floor to maintain some gravity driven blood flow. Called vascular doctor in the AM, and was in his office for an ultrasound by 2. Blood clot blocking virtually all of the new, goretex femoral artery he put in my leg in May. In the ER by 3:15. To the OR by 7.
According to the doctor, I was likely within a few hours of gangrene. Don't ever want that again, even if it's only a leg this time.
They cleared the kink that they believe caused the clot, reamed out the replacement femoral artery, ballooned a couple spots of "real" artery in the foot, and I was home by late afternoon yesterday.
Normal protocol would have me on a blood thinner following that clot. But given that my platelet count runs 40 to 50 thou, I'm in a risk would outweigh the reward situation, so we've got nothing going preventative-wise.

So somebody cheer me up and tell me we're really going to have a basketball season this year.

Reaction Score
we are really going to have a basketball season this year, in some form or another. and i am cautiously optimistic that it will be the type of season we have been hoping to have for a few years now. the future is bright!

wishing you good health and speedy recovery!

Reaction Score
Be well Rich.

We're going to make it back into the NCAA tournament this year. Bouk it.

And the NCAA is in too much dire financial straits to cancel it, so it's going to happen hell or high water.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hang tough, @RichZ .

If you beat gangrene of the scrotum you can beat this!!!

In other good news--how about this weather!?! Seriously, it's gorgeous out there.
Yes, and I'm cooped up in here, instead of out fishing.:(

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hang tough, @RichZ .

If you beat gangrene of the scrotum you can beat this!!!

In other good news--how about this weather!?! Seriously, it's gorgeous out there.
Lol, I always forget who posted that. Really, if you win out over gangrene of the scrotum you ought have a "get of the hospital free card."

Just said a prayer for you Rich. Catch one for me when you get back out there.

Reaction Score
Get well. We absolutely will have a season, and Huskies will be driving, dishing, dunking, and stealing. Mucho blocks, and some nothing-but-net treys as well. In the mean time, if you're layed up take a look at John Hersey's "Blues". Read it a long time ago, and it was enlightening.

Reaction Score
If it makes you feel better, Syracuse just lost another one of their “in the bank” targets.
Hope you feel better sir! Sun always shines after a storm!

Reaction Score
You've beaten so much already, no reason you won't beat this one too. Life is just stepping up the challenges to make this season's game threads even more worth it

Reaction Score
Sorry you're going through another health challenge, I'll say a prayer for you before bedtime.

Reaction Score
Rich feels better my fellow huskie. I’ve been through a lot myself last few months and today I was outside and could not believe what a beautiful day it was- I grab onto the little things- take moments to be grateful. It’s helpful to me to keep my spirts up. Stay strong.

Reaction Score
So somebody cheer me up and tell me we're really going to have a basketball season this year.

Impossible task, I'm pretty sure your experience and the positive outcome is better for you than having a basketball season.

Just saying any attempts to cheer you up, will fall short after reading your post. Its such great news you shared.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Somebody told me after my vascular surgery in May, that I must be a cat, because I seem to have 9 lives.
Unfortunately, by my count, I'm down to my last one.
Enjoyed a great day catching stripers on the river on Thursday. Got home and was busy getting the boat and my gear ready to do it again on Friday and Saturday. Bent over to climb out of the boat and felt a twinge behind my knee. Not really a pain, just 'something'. And I knew that I had to sit down before I fell over. Eventually managed to get out of the boat and put stuff away. Shortly after laying down in bed, my entire leg was in pain. Especially my foot, which was frigid to the touch. Spent most of the night sitting up with my feet on the floor to maintain some gravity driven blood flow. Called vascular doctor in the AM, and was in his office for an ultrasound by 2. Blood clot blocking virtually all of the new, goretex femoral artery he put in my leg in May. In the ER by 3:15. To the OR by 7.
According to the doctor, I was likely within a few hours of gangrene. Don't ever want that again, even if it's only a leg this time.
They cleared the kink that they believe caused the clot, reamed out the replacement femoral artery, ballooned a couple spots of "real" artery in the foot, and I was home by late afternoon yesterday.
Normal protocol would have me on a blood thinner following that clot. But given that my platelet count runs 40 to 50 thou, I'm in a risk would outweigh the reward situation, so we've got nothing going preventative-wise.

Please do not wait until the am again!!! We have a basketball season to get through and need you! I was an EMT for 30 years and a diagnostic criteria for an MI was middle age an denying symptoms. Don't be that man

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
@RichZ if you're still a Monrovian, let me know if you need anything. Mostly a beer, whenever you're cleared :)

Reaction Score
Rich.. Having a positive mental attitude and showing gratitude for the blessings you have helps.. It appears you have already been blessed with the avoidance of a serious condition/event.. Keep the Faith.. The Good Guys will put some smiles on your face this year..

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It's great to have friends with a common bond. Look like I'll be off the water for somewhere between 10 days and a month, depending on whether my doctor or my wife wins the argument.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It's great to have friends with a common bond. Look like I'll be off the water for somewhere between 10 days and a month, depending on whether my doctor or my wife wins the argument.
The BY will hear oral arguments

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom