Need more high level offensive talent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Need more high level offensive talent

Reaction Score
whether next year's team will be a legit contender depends on the the following offensive question marks:

if aj is a future nba point can he start running our offense? yes
with cole playing off ball can he improve his fg%? yes
can we get a combined ~20 ppg from martin and akok? yes
can sanogo get up to ~15 ppg? yes
can we get ~20 ppg from the bench? tbd

jackson-diggins-gaff
cole----???
martin-hawkins
akok---???
sanogo-johnson

consensus seems that we need a quick guard who can break down a D with the first open scholly
everyone coming off the bench should be able to shoot so i'd like a stretch 4 with the other open scholly
Cole is going to be a point guard. Jackson isn't the answer at point. I see Hawkins starting at the 2 and Jackson playing the 2-3. Jackson can be a dham.player with more athletic talent but his ball.skills and shooting need to improve. I think we need a quick point guard who can shoot. I hope there is a grad transfer out there this year.

Reaction Score
Thought they played pretty well on defense. Besides those late threes Nova was not good from three. I'd like to think the Huskies had something to do with that.

But they need more offensive playmakers. Some guys are just too inexperienced (e.g. Jackson and Sanogo) and some just aren't good enough or consistent enough. Tough to beat a very good team like that. Most of that second half, with Bouknight struggling, was brutal.

They'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sigh.
People need to remember this is a very young team that has had one interruption after another. Our upperclassman arent much more than role players. Our best player is a Soph and the next two guys are Juniors one of which is playing his first season in high level D1. Its frustrating but this is the process and thankfully we are at least heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Cole is going to be a point guard. Jackson isn't the answer at point. I see Hawkins starting at the 2 and Jackson playing the 2-3. Jackson can be a dham.player with more athletic talent but his ball.skills and shooting need to improve. I think we need a quick point guard who can shoot. I hope there is a grad transfer out there this year.
so you didnt believe hurley when he said aj is a nba PG? either way it doesnt really matter who's the "1" and who's the "2" because aj and cole should be the starting backcourt combo

second, between cole, diggins, gaffney, and aj we have 4 guys that can run the point. we have more than enough to work with there and don't need a 5th PG

third, i'm not penciling in freshman hawkins to start while senior martin aka our second best player is on the bench. he's second on the team in mpg and ppg and first in rpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Martin would be that but he is just not aggressive enough besides a couple games like the DePaul one. He is very consostent player but we need him to take up a gear to he a great team.
He needs to learn to shoot off the dribble. If he can get that in his arsenal and knock it down consistently he takes his game to all american level. Hes a very talented player i just wonder if he has another level or if this is it.

Reaction Score
He needs to learn to shoot off the dribble. If he can get that in his arsenal and knock it down consistently he takes his game to all american level. Hes a very talented player i just wonder if he has another level or if this is it.
Martin can back them down and get a shot or draw a foul. It’s what Gillespie does and Martin has the size and strength for it. He’s the one who has to do it.

Reaction Score
Nope. I’m saying nova has a coach who knows how to recruit his system. By the way that’s not a criticism of Hurley. Jay Wright is best coach in college hoops. Dan Hurley hasn’t even had a full cycle. I have faith. “ it’s coming”
This is true. Wright became a great coach. He didn’t make the NCAA tournament until his fourth year at Nova where future NBAers Randy Foye and Alan Ray were juniors and Kyle Lowry was a freshman. It took him some time to get his kids in the program, coach them and it’s been a great run for him since. Hurley is definitely doing the same thing with the talent. Yes, it’s coming.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Martin can back them down and get a shot or draw a foul. It’s what Gillespie does and Martin has the size and strength for it. He’s the one who has to do it.
Martin doesn’t play a a position in our offensive scheme that would post him up. It’s just different strategies.

Reaction Score
Martin doesn’t play a a position in our offensive scheme that would post him up. It’s just different strategies.
yeah... if he's playing the 3 that means we probably have 2 Cs on the floor and the paint is too congested. if he's playing the 4 in small ball lineups, as he was yesterday, he's probably being guarded by a bigger guy that he can't back down or shoot over. he should be able to post up more next year with akok playing PF

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But it’s not. And we are still stuck with 3 KO recruits that are extremely limited. But hey, if instead of them we had studs, we’d be top 10. Good argument.
More freaking BS blaming KO
Sometimes people never grow up
Whalley has been very good at what he does, JC had a strong sophomore year then DH bloated him in the off season and he has been unable to or given the chance to return this season. Polley has been hurt and I will agree has been disappointing.
DH could have tied all to the bench or convinced them to leave - he didn't - so now its on him

Reaction Score
so you didnt believe hurley when he said aj is a nba PG? either way it doesnt really matter who's the "1" and who's the "2" because aj and cole should be the starting backcourt combo

second, between cole, diggins, gaffney, and aj we have 4 guys that can run the point. we have more than enough to work with there and don't need a 5th PG

third, i'm not penciling in freshman hawkins to start while senior martin aka our second best player is on the bench. he's second on the team in mpg and ppg and first in rpg
I would have Martin at the 4 or start him at the 3. We need shooters in the lineup and I'm not sold on Jackson as anything more as a defensive stopper/athlete at this point. He is going to have to improve his offense alot to play meaningful minutes at guard. I just see him more as a point forward than a point guard at this stage as hjs dribnling is not tight enouh to get by players yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom