Need more high level offensive talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Need more high level offensive talent

Reaction Score
This isn’t the most talented team we’ve seen at UConn, but they aren’t lacking in talent either.

They need to start coming into games with an actual offensive strategy. If you’re going to start two centers, then that strategy ideally would include getting the ball inside on occasion.

And forget ball movement - they need to start with any sort of movement. Right now, it’s four guys watching a guard dribble the ball aimlessly on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
But it’s not. And we are still stuck with 3 KO recruits that are extremely limited. But hey, if instead of them we had studs, we’d be top 10. Good argument.
We still have a couple Ollie recruits left over to complete the cycle but this team would've been pretty beastly this year with a healthy Covid free season, I truly believe that.

Reaction Score
Good news is we have help on the way. I think Samson Johnson may be one of the best to ever do it at UConn when he’s done.

Reaction Score
This isn’t the most talented team we’ve seen at UConn, but they aren’t lacking in talent either.

They need to start coming into games with an actual offensive strategy. If you’re going to start two centers, then that strategy ideally would include getting the ball inside on occasion.

And forget ball movement - they need to start with any sort of movement. Right now, it’s four guys watching a guard dribble the ball
i thought they did that against xavier. i liked hurley’s plan of taking less time off the clock on offense.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thought they played pretty well on defense. Besides those late threes Nova was not good from three. I'd like to think the Huskies had something to do with that.

But they need more offensive playmakers. Some guys are just too inexperienced (e.g. Jackson and Sanogo) and some just aren't good enough or consistent enough. Tough to beat a very good team like that. Most of that second half, with Bouknight struggling, was brutal.

They'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sigh.
We have the best scorer in college basketball. We won’t have that again any time soon.

let’s put it this way , he had 21 points shot like crap ( after getting banged) after that and still had 21. I don’t know how much offensive talent you can ask for? We have talent.

Reaction Score
We have the best scorer in college basketball. We won’t have that again any time soon.

let’s put it this way , he had 21 points shot like crap ( after getting banged) after that and still had 21. I don’t know how much offensive talent you can ask for? We have talent.
Not about Bouk or his talent which we all know about. We had no second option to put it on the floor and score.

Reaction Score
whether next year's team will be a legit contender depends on the the following offensive question marks:

if aj is a future nba point can he start running our offense? yes
with cole playing off ball can he improve his fg%? yes
can we get a combined ~20 ppg from martin and akok? yes
can sanogo get up to ~15 ppg? yes
can we get ~20 ppg from the bench? tbd

jackson-diggins-gaff
cole----???
martin-hawkins
akok---???
sanogo-johnson

consensus seems that we need a quick guard who can break down a D with the first open scholly
everyone coming off the bench should be able to shoot so i'd like a stretch 4 with the other open scholly

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Who was the 2nd or 3rd guy that stepped up? It takes more than 1 guy scoring 21 points to win. They scored 60 points. And looked like they struggled to do that. Why?

August_West

Reaction Score
Who was the 2nd or 3rd guy that stepped up? It takes more than 1 guy scoring 21 points to win. They scored 60 points. And looked like they struggled to do that. Why?
Because Martin didn’t hit shots. Because cole sat 16 min of first half in foul trouble

Reaction Score
Good news is we have help on the way. I think Samson Johnson may be one of the best to ever do it at UConn when he’s done.

I'd pump the breaks right now. He's a freak athlete but needs major development on the offensive end. Hawkins and Diggins are more likely to contribute day 1

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes If we had one more Bouknight level player then we wouldnt have issues on offense.....
Yeah why don’t we have that?!!,!!!

Reaction Score
A guard who can get his own shot. It's too much to hope for Bouk level talent but we need someone.
We got absolutely destroyed yesterday at the point guard position. That was the complete story of the game.

Reaction Score
This team cannot play defense; fouls committed are same as the beginning of season. Team as whole may be worse shooters in Big East.
Truly hard to watch since same errors and weaknesses occur in every game, including wins.
Jackson supposed to be the next coming - he has not shot except occasional tapings
Hopefully Hurley has recruits coming in that can make baskets rather that leap and touch the top of backboard.
Just go away

August_West

Reaction Score
Because we don't have more high level offensive talent?
If you want to go across the board as of yesterday, we have more “ high level” talent across the board than nova

If you want to say “ I want to play like them and give me some 3 and 4 stars who are interchangeable 1-5”. Ok I won’t argue.

Reaction Score
If you want to go across the board as of yesterday, we have more “ high level” talent across the board than nova

If you want to say “ I want to play like them and give me some 3 and 4 stars who are interchangeable 1-5”. Ok I won’t argue.
3 and 4 stars doesn't mean anything now that their guys have played in college a few years.

So are you saying Nova's record is much better than UConn's just because Bouknight hasn't played in 8 of their games?

August_West

Reaction Score
3 and 4 stars doesn't mean anything now that their guys have played in college a few years.

So are you saying Nova's record is much better than UConn's just because Bouknight hasn't played in 8 of their games?
Nope. I’m saying nova has a coach who knows how to recruit his system. By the way that’s not a criticism of Hurley. Jay Wright is best coach in college hoops. Dan Hurley hasn’t even had a full cycle. I have faith. “ it’s coming”

Reaction Score
i still love the jay wright

the most humble coach who studied rollie, jt, jc, etc..

nova used to get all the mcdonald’s kids and never won anything, he figured it out

dh inherited a less than stellar team that he needs to rebuild

Reaction Score
This team cannot play defense; fouls committed are same as the beginning of season. Team as whole may be worse shooters in Big East.
Truly hard to watch since same errors and weaknesses occur in every game, including wins.
Jackson supposed to be the next coming - he has not shot except occasional tapings
Hopefully Hurley has recruits coming in that can make baskets rather that leap and touch the top of backboard.
Can't play defense? They only give up 65 points a game and are in the top ten for blocks in the country. Jackson is a freshman who has missed a good chunk of time due to injury. Throw in on top of that the interruptions in practice and games due to covid. What the heck do you expect of him? He will be fine. Just give him some time to play for God's sake. He's already a solid defender and good passer.

Reaction Score
Not about Bouk or his talent which we all know about. We had no second option to put it on the floor and score.
I thought Martin would be that but he is just not aggressive enough besides a couple games like the DePaul one. He is very consostent player but we need him to take up a gear to he a great team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom