Need a recommendation of a UConn game to watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Need a recommendation of a UConn game to watch

Reaction Score
Beating Duke in the Final Four in 2004 is one I watch often. It was sweet watching Calhoun out coach K. So was beating the choke artist JJ Redick.
I love that 2004 team. Sometimes I get the feeling that team is somewhat forgotten in a sense that it wasn’t the first (1999), and It didn’t have the magic of 2011 with Kemba, or the Cinderella story of the 2014 team. They just dominated from start to finish for the most part. There were so many times when that team just made it look so easy. Outside of that Duke game, the other NCAA Tournament games were a breeze with little to no stress. If you want to see a dominant/complete UConn team, watch any game from the 2004 NCAA Tournament, especially the Duke or Georgia Tech game from the Final Four.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm hoping this comment is sarcasm. That year the whole was less than the sum of the parts.
Not sarcasm. This team was unreal - they just couldn't get the job done. Your'e a clown anyways. You were talking trash about people being "too nice" towards CV and Gilbert. Hagiography, right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sarcasm. This team was unreal - they just couldn't get the job done. Your'e a clown anyways. You were talking trash about people being "too nice" towards CV and Gilbert. Hagiography, right?
You are definitively being too nice if you think that team was unreal in a positive sense.

Reaction Score
I really think the most exciting UConn team was the 90-91; Tate George, Chris Smith, Nadav Henefield with the Microwave. Best defensive team ever, and had offensive weapons as well. The BE conference was the best in the land. Teams couldn't even bring the ball past half court.

Only problem for you young'uns is that they are not recorded in HD. Will look like the old Godzilla movies.

Reaction Score
How many of us were at that game?? Thx for the link, I didn't realize there was a recording of it floating around.

I was there as a 15 year-old & had been going to games with my Dad for eight years. I thought this was the pinnacle & everything that came after has been gravy.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
uconn/kentucky maui 2010

when kemba officially broke out!

Kemba broke out the game before against Wichita State; he scored 29 in the 2nd half and that was the game where Jay Bilas just ran out of superlatives for him and I believe said that he's playing like an All-American. The Kentucky game was when we as a team broke out. That was when the country as a whole knew we were going to be really good.

Reaction Score
Just watched the 2004 semifinal game against Duke. Two things I forgot about that game. One, the Huskies turned the ball over a lot, especially in the first half (10 of them). So many of them were careless and Duke had a lot of points off them.

The second thing was how the refs called the game so tight. Luckily for us there were a lot more fouls on Duke at the end than UConn. Reminded me of a 2020 AAC game. :)
Rumor had it the head of officiating went nuts on the officials at half-time for calling it do tight

Reaction Score
2006 may have had the most talent 1-10 but they were not the best "team"

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
2006 may have had the most talent 1-10 but they were not the best "team"
It's subjective. I think this was the best UConn team I've seen, and I've been watching for about 30 years now.

Reaction Score
2006 was really good

i think 2009 was no slouch- a few nba players on that team

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Following UConn Husky Games on Twitter is great because the other day I wound up watching a random 08 game at Cincinnati where we won in the middle of a big winning streak. Great finish

Reaction Score
If you want to watch the best UCONN team ever (in my opinion), watch some games from the '05-'06 season. This team didn't even make the Final Four - they ran into a red hot George Mason team who was basically playing at home (game was in D.C.) I was at this game, and the whole place was against us. Minus the defeat, it was the best trip ever - spur of the moment, leaving Hot Tomato's in Hartford, we drove through the night and bought tix on the street that morning.

30-4 overall, 14-2 in the Big East, and 16-0 at home. 4 of the starting 5 got drafted, as well as our 6th man: Gay 8th, Armstrong 12th, Marcus Williams 22nd, Boone 23rd, Denham 40th. Read that again. Also on the team was an absolute sniper, Rashad Anderson, and Jeff Adrien, a blue collar power forward who also spent time in the NBA. The roster also had CT's own Craig Austrie (Stamford), in addition to the BY's favorite, Ed Nelson. Surely one of my favorite teams ever, right up there with Ricky Moore's and the team that first won it all for us in '99.
George Mason has a middle name... use it.

Reaction Score
Appointment viewing tmrow on ESPNU
4pm- UConn Cuse 6OT game
8- Kemba step back game
10- UConn vs Syracuse 2011 Big East Tournament
12- UConn vs Louisville 2011 Big East championship game

Reaction Score
Without Rip if I remember right?
Yes. And Stanford was like 28-2 (?) and in the top 10 - something like that... No Rip - no problem. Man, we were good. Started having weird thoughts we could do some real damage. Gonzaga is the team that turned out to be a bit scary (Casey Calvary). JC said they were really good and he was impressed watching their tapes - after a close win in the tournament. Something to that effect - also Blaney said something like that as well. A fun time... reminisce...

Reaction Score
It was an early season HCC game. But those of us that were there will never forget this comeback. A 36 point swing in the 2nd half....And we got our introduction to a freshman named Anderson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was an early season HCC game. But those of us that were there will never forget this comeback. A 36 point swing in the 2nd half....And we got our introduction to a freshman named Anderson.

I remember it. Thanks Alex. :)

Reaction Score
This one is a little off the radar but worth it if you want a reference of where we came from and sorta coincides with where our program is at right now. I see a couple people mentioned earlier but wanted to bring it up again. Once you get done with most of the games noted in this thread, check out the NIT game in 1988 vs VCU. It was played at the Field House in Jim Calhouns second year. Building was chaotic and sent us rolling to the NIT championship. JC references how important that season was in setting up the culture he was building. Such a different era but worth watching. Hurleys second year, NIT was likely this season and culture has changed. Parallels galore

Reaction Score
I really think the most exciting UConn team was the 90-91; Tate George, Chris Smith, Nadav Henefield with the Microwave. Best defensive team ever, and had offensive weapons as well. The BE conference was the best in the land. Teams couldn't even bring the ball past half court.

Only problem for you young'uns is that they are not recorded in HD. Will look like the old Godzilla movies.
You mean the 1989-1990 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom