OT: - Need a good password manager | The Boneyard

OT: Need a good password manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I really need to get set up with a good password management solution. Anyone here familiar with them have any recommendations?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My family uses 1Password, we pay the subscription. You can create private vaults and ones you can share between all family members or just specific ones. It also has integrated 2FA so when you use it to enter passwords, it’ll copy the 2FA code automatically so that you can just enter it right away without opening another app up.

Lastpass has had multiple vulnerability issues in the past, FYI.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks, I'll check that out. Do you use the free basic version, or one of the paid subscriptions?
I've always used the free version and at some point, paid the 1$/month subscription to use it on my phone.
Lastpass has had multiple vulnerability issues in the past, FYI.
Lastpass did have a breach a couple years ago, but due to the encryption and salting, no passwords were compromised.

Reaction Score
I've always used the free version and at some point, paid the 1$/month subscription to use it on my phone.

Lastpass did have a breach a couple years ago, but due to the encryption and salting, no passwords were compromised.

Lastpass literally had multiple different security incidents in 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. I’d rather trust something that hasn’t had any over something that has had five.

Reaction Score
I also forgot to mention that one thing 1Password has that the other services don’t is the Secret Key. 1Password data is fully encrypted using a randomized unique Secret Key in conjunction with your Master Password (only you know the keys to decrypt your data) and no one can access your vault on a new device or browser without entering that Secret Key in addition to your master password. I printed out the Secret Key and kept it in my safety deposit box as well as a pdf of the emergency kit on a separate hard drive encrypted with TrueCrypt.

The other services only require a master password to access the entire vault.

Reaction Score
Our whole family uses 1Password. We pay the annual fee (don't remember how much it is but it's very cheap). Works well for us. Plus I like the password generator since I got sick of coming up with unique passwords for each place.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I really need to get set up with a good password management solution. Anyone here familiar with them have any recommendations?
I bought one of those old fashioned address books. I write them all down.

Virtually hack proof.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've used and liked Dashlane for many years. My question to those who have suggested 1Password or LastPass is whether you believe your favored choices warrant the inconvenience of porting over to something new.

My guess is ~150 passwords synced across more than a half dozen devices.

Reaction Score
I recently moved to LastPass. I guess the good side of having these security incidents is that they'll learn and make it even stronger LOL.

Reaction Score
I've used and liked Dashlane for many years. My question to those who have suggested 1Password or LastPass is whether you believe your favored choices warrant the inconvenience of porting over to something new.

My guess is ~150 passwords synced across more than a half dozen devices.
I haven’t really seen any security incidents or vulnerabilities in the cybersec mailing lists/blogs I subscribe to, so it’s probably fine. It then depends on why you might want to switch.

I had issues with passwords on separate pages from username/emails on Dashlane and I found that auto changing password feature useless because it didn’t support the majority of sites where I felt like it would be useful.

If you’re perfectly happy with Dashlane there’s probably not much reason to switch.

But if you decide to, 1Password does offer instructions on how to carry your Dashlane passwords into their vault system.

Reaction Score
My IT manger suggested LastPass. Like the browser plugin. No issues so far in the 3 years I’ve been using it

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Thanks, I'll check that out. Do you use the free basic version, or one of the paid subscriptions?
I've been using last pass for a few years now. It makes storing, creating and updating passwords easy.
I have only used the free version and haven't seen the need for the pay version with my needs.
It gives me peace of mind knowing if she ever had to, my wife could have access to everything if the need should ever arise

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Is it safe to assume by this thread that I shouldn't be keeping all of my passwords in an iphone notes file?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If it’s Apple, just use Keychain.

If not, 1Password works well. Hated Last Pass.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ur kidding, right? a bit much, but i can't blame him for saying that he is the best one for the job.
cbs_password60s.jpg

Reaction Score
Keypass
It is free. Source code available. Multipatform. I use on iOS and Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom