ND's Patterson could be the Answer to Depth Problem | The Boneyard

ND's Patterson could be the Answer to Depth Problem

Reaction Score
Now that ND's Danielle Patterson has entered the transfer portal, what do the BYs think of her being a compliment to ONO should she decide to come to UCONN? She's a NY kid who would be close to home and, from what I saw during a couple of games, she has enough skills to become a great contributor for next year's team. What say you BY?

Reaction Score
She definitely has some upside, athletic and can shoot. Wouldn’t mind if she were to end up in Storrs, too bad she would have to sit a year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Patterson took pains in her parting tweet to leave ND on good terms.

That doesn't bode well for her willingness to even consider UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno certainly looked at Patterson but ultimately chose not to offer her a scholarship. That doesn't mean he wouldn't do so as a transfer. The question I have is whether Patterson is looking to play a certain position on the court and whether that led her to leave ND.

Reaction Score
I would think that if she wanted to be "depth" she could have stayed at ND where breathing bodies will get minutes. As much as some UConn fans here focus on who is leaving and despair, most anyone thinking of transferring into UConn will look at who she has to beat for a spot and despair over starting or getting the minutes she wants. And these transfers that may be available for next season do UConn no good unless they can come in an pick up UConn's O&D systems quickly, like by Jan 1. There aren't too many that can do that. Makurat seems to be one, playing on a Polish team with ex-Northweastern star Nia Coffey. You can learn a lot more playing with and against pros rather than high school girls.

I despair accept the unlikelihood that UConn will finding any useful size in the transfer portal and few willing to compete with ONO (or even Irwin & Batouly) for minutes.

It's all speculation unless we know why she is leaving.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
According to the ND board, Patterson wants to be a wing,

That may be accurate, but I can't for the life of me find where you read that on the ND board.

Patterson idolizes Candace Parker. She wasn't going to play that kind of role for Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
According to the ND board, Patterson wants to be a wing,

I wonder if it’s the banging inside she doesn’t want to do, now days most fours play a stretch role anyways, so I don’t see why she couldn’t display some wing skills if she was a four.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wait a second. I thought UCONN had a Can't recruit a post player over 6'2" problem. What's all this talk about depth problem. In all seriousness I think Danielle Patterson needs to do some candid self examination about what she wants to be as a basketball player. She is walking away from ND where she was practically guaranteed a starting spot as a Junior. Not to bring up dirt but some might remember her prep career also included similar lack of commitment issues including a change of HS from Medgar Evers to Mary Louis
and a dramatic change of AAU programs from the Philly Belles to the New Jersey Sparks.

Reaction Score
I am sorry O for the misleading information on Patterson. A well known and knowlegable (sp) fan on Volnation had this to say about a young Patterson,
"I remember watching her play on the AAU circuit as well and felt like she had all the talent in the world but was limiting herself. She stayed away from the paint as much as she was allowed to. I think her wanting to be a Wing player and ND adding Destinee Walker as a grad transfer (she is more than likely to start at the wing spot with Brunelle being her back up) Patterson would've more than likely had to start at the 4 or backup Vaughn at the 4 and in that offense the Post players are the last option. "

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wonder if it’s the banging inside she doesn’t want to do, now days most fours play a stretch role anyways, so I don’t see why she couldn’t display some wing skills if she was a four.

She certainly could, but a big part of her role at ND next season would have involved crashing the boards at both ends much like Jess Shepard did. The need to do so will likely be more important next season because of the loss of reliable shooters on the perimeter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 3 pt shot and spread the floor offense has changed the way players think about basketball. Everybody wants to hang around the perimeter and chuck 3-pt shots, including players like Z who was finally prodded by Geno and CD to do more of her scoring in the paint, particularly since she struggled with her outside shot at UConn.

That leaves an opportunity for teams like Buffalo who have a bunch of tough kids that don’t mind crashing the boards in waves.

Reaction Score
Patterson is just exploring her options. A return to ND is one of those options.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I can say this. Dani Patterson wanted to play for UConn since she was a little girl. The opportunity is there now. Its wait and see . If she were to transfer to an in conference team she would have to sit 2 years and if she were to transfer to an out of conference school she would have to sit one year. I hope UConn pursues her.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I can say this. Dani Patterson wanted to play for UConn since she was a little girl. The opportunity is there now. Its wait and see . If she were to transfer to an in conference team she would have to sit 2 years and if she were to transfer to an out of conference school she would have to sit one year. I hope UConn pursues her.

Source?

This article from ESPN says she grew up a Tennessee fan.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Source?
This article from ESPN says she grew up a Tennessee fan.

No no no. We don't check @Tonyc for sources. He's connected like that- Eg. He was the one that "connected" Stewie to UCONN.

Reaction Score
No no no. We don't check @Tonyc for sources. He's connected like that- Eg. He was the one that "connected" Stewie to UCONN.
Do you recall how much UConn interest there was in DP?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you recall how much UConn interest there was in DP?
As @UConnCat has stated she was definitely evaluated by the UCONN staff. There were three big forwards (Patterson (ND), LaDazhia Williams (SC) & Jade Williams (Duke)) that UCONN looked at early on and all three just dropped out of contention not sure of the specific reasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom