ND's Patterson could be the Answer to Depth Problem | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND's Patterson could be the Answer to Depth Problem

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As @UConnCat has stated she was definitely evaluated by the UCONN staff. There were three big forwards (Patterson (ND), LaDazhia Williams (SC) & Jade Williams (Duke)) that UCONN looked at early on and all three just dropped out of contention not sure of the specific reasons.

ND looked at both Williamses, too. Interesting how none of the three has really impressed yet. Goes to show it's not as simple as just recruiting whoever is tall and ranked in the top 50 by ESPN.

(I still believe in Patterson's talent and think she can be a very effective P5 starter if she finds a coach/program that is a good fit for her).

Reaction Score
According to the ND board, Patterson wants to be a wing,
Wing/Sming! Playing time, starting, top players want. Call my position Smoe as long as I play.
There are those that see Geno's game as POSITIONLESS. So, is she chose to come to Uconn she could call it by whatever name she liked best. If she is 3/4ths as good as those that think Patterson is really good, then bring her to us.

Reaction Score
The 3 pt shot and spread the floor offense has changed the way players think about basketball. Everybody wants to hang around the perimeter and chuck 3-pt shots, including players like Z who was finally prodded by Geno and CD to do more of her scoring in the paint, particularly since she struggled with her outside shot at UConn.

That leaves an opportunity for teams like Buffalo who have a bunch of kids that don’t mind crashing the boards in waves.
Your assessment of Stevens is mine. If she had been Geno coached, like ONO, she may have had some Defense to add to her game. She WAS as scoring machine.
Interesting take on Buffalo. Small teams are (usually) forced to "hit" the boards, i.e in waves. For some it works in some games it doesn't. It does make for fun games. Geno, in the past, had a high level of success on defending the 3. Problem without a post

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Patterson explains her reason for transferring which seems to be about playing time. Odd since she'd have the opportunity to earn a lot of playing time next season for ND.

Also says she won't return to ND though Muffet left the door open.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Patterson explains her reason for transferring which seems to be about playing time. Odd since she'd have the opportunity to earn a lot of playing time next season for ND.

Also says she won't return to ND though Muffet left the door open.

This is an interesting interview. As you pointed out, you would think it would be obvious to her that there will be a ton of playing time available to her at ND next year with all the graduations, but of course she would have to earn it.

That makes me think that there is probably a difference of opinion between her and the coaches about her position and role. It is quite possible that she does want to play on the wing, and they want her to play at least somewhat in the paint.

If that is her issue, then I don't see why she or Geno should think that coming to Storrs will address her concerns. She might (if she could play next year after transferring) be a candidate to be the fifth starter, but it would be as the 4 rather than the 3. And Geno would expect her to mix it up for rebounds in the paint.

If she really wants to play professionally as she says in the article, I don't see why she would object to that; on the contrary, she should embrace it. But she could just as easily do that by staying in South Bend.

I just re-watched the national semifinal game, where Patterson did play some significant minutes at the end of the first half, when Turner was on the bench with two fouls. She played fairly well and got a rebound or two, but she didn't seem to have an appetite for rugged inside play. She needs to develop that to play professionally.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting interview. As you pointed out, you would think it would be obvious to her that there will be a ton of playing time available to her at ND next year with all the graduations, but of course she would have to earn it.

That makes me think that there is probably a difference of opinion between her and the coaches about her position and role. It is quite possible that she does want to play on the wing, and they want her to play at least somewhat in the paint.

If that is her issue, then I don't see why she or Geno should think that coming to Storrs will address her concerns. She might (if she could play next year after transferring) be a candidate to be the fifth starter, but it would be as the 4 rather than the 3. And Geno would expect her to mix it up for rebounds in the paint.

If she really wants to play professionally as she says in the article, I don't see why she would object to that; on the contrary, she should embrace it. But she could just as easily do that by staying in South Bend.

I just re-watched the national semifinal game, where Patterson did play some significant minutes at the end of the first half, when Turner was on the bench with two fouls. She played fairly well and got a rebound or two, but she didn't seem to have an appetite for rugged inside play. She needs to develop that to play professionally.
@JoePgh --I tend to agree with most of this. I saw her time at the end of the First half when Turner went out. She gave ND good minutes.
I don't feel she is a "FIT" for Uconn. Numbers seems shy. Geno I doubt with give her a guarantee of minutes.
I agree, big time, she should stay at ND.

Reaction Score
Based on what she said, going back to ND is not an option. Seems like something behind the scenes went on that soured her on returning above playing time-she did mention her “value”. Or, it could’ve also been an academic decision to extend her scholarship and get her masters degree.

Reaction Score
Based on what she said, going back to ND is not an option. Seems like something behind the scenes went on that soured her on returning above playing time-she did mention her “value”. Or, it could’ve also been an academic decision to extend her scholarship and get her masters degree.
I got the lack of desire to return to ND. If Muffet is open minded then for DP's own PT issue ND appears to be the best solution.
I hope she is thinking ACADEMICALLY that's a plus for her.
Walz then appears her best choice--he'll tell her what she wants to hear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom