ND owns UConn | The Boneyard

ND owns UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was not able to watch game and just logged on to get score. Don't know anything about the game and what happened but seeing the final score confirms my opinion that this year Notre Dame owns UConn. Please commence all the opinions and analysis of this game but the bottom line ins ND onws UConn this year. Can't wait to hear all our experts pontificate. Let her rip.

Reaction Score
This was the exact quote this week from Tony Kornheiser, on the show "Pardon the Interruption." (ESPN 5:30 P.M. M-F)

Reaction Score
This was the exact quote this week from Tony Kornheiser, on the show "Pardon the Interruption." (ESPN 5:30 P.M. M-F)
I hope you are not implying I lifted this from Tony K. This is my sincere opinion. Again, I love this team but really, 1 of 7???

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I hope you are not implying I lifted this from Tony K. This is my sincere opinion. Again, I love this team but really, 1 of 7???

If we had a "Skylar Diggins" or "Kayla McBride" on this team it wouldn't be this way. There's no killer instinct, that is legitimately the only difference

Reaction Score
It's now 12:15 am on Wednesday and I just finished watching the complete game. Wow, great game again. Kayla McBride is awesome. This kid is really fun to watch. IMHO makes Diggins look ordinary.​
On to the NCAA. It's a new season.​

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno was close to getting Diggins but she wanted to stay home

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
did he recruit her... she is from the Philly area correct?

Reaction Score
Geno was close to getting Diggins but she wanted to stay home

No he wasn't. Two of her final three were out of state schools and not one of them was UConn. Have no idea if he even wanted her, but her final 3 were Penn State, Stanford, and ND.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
No he wasn't. Two of her final three were out of state schools and not one of them was UConn. Have no idea if he even wanted her, but her final 3 were Penn State, Stanford, and ND.

Correct. And it was basically Stanford and ND. She was admitted to Stanford and turns down the Cardinal, one of the few who said no to Stanford after being admitted.

Reaction Score
Correct. And it was basically Stanford and ND. She was admitted to Stanford and turns down the Cardinal, one of the few who said no to Stanford after being admitted.

I think keeping Penn State on the list was a nod to the relationship she developed while in high school with Co. Washington. I think that was her first or second season at PSU. Washington did her best too by signing Diggins' best friend and high school teammate Phillips.

Reaction Score
If we had a "Skylar Diggins" or "Kayla McBride" on this team it wouldn't be this way. There's no killer instinct, that is legitimately the only difference
Yeah, and if we had Ellena Delle Donne, and Kelsey Bone we would have won. Let's get over it. Hey remember that old saying............................."We have Dianna", and they don't.
The shoe is on the other foot now. Time to recruit some hard nosed kids to replace the seniors, because what I see right now, I am not that optimistic. But then again, this new conference will not be the Big East.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hey Fiftyish...the Irish have taken 7 of 8 from UConn. The pwnership goes back farther than this season.

It comes down to the best players and they were on Notre Dame. Diggy and McBride trump any of the softys we got. Love our guys but when UConn continuously says its about winning it all then they and the fans should be able to take all criticism.

Bria and Stef are under a lot of pressure...they have two more chances but could be the first 4-year players to not win a Title in, like, forever. Since Amy Duran, I think.

I'll be rooting hard for these guys.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Unfortunately they do.

I told my wife when the score was tied and we had the ball with 20 secs left. "we will find a way to lose, we always do" So our baskeball wise senior has the ball, dribbles madly through the lane, ends up too far under the basket with 2 too many seconds on the clock, turnover, their AA senior runs down and scores. WTF - we can't evem hold the freakin ball for the last shot for crikes sake!

Reaction Score
Hey Fiftyish...the Irish have taken 7 of 8 from UConn. The pwnership goes back farther than this season.

It comes down to the best players and they were on Notre Dame. Diggy and McBride trump any of the softys we got. Love our guys but when UConn continuously says its about winning it all then they and the fans should be able to take all criticism.

Bria and Stef are under a lot of pressure...they have two more chances but could be the first 4-year players to not win a Title in, like, forever. Since Amy Duran, I think.

I'll be rooting hard for these guys.

No, it has not been that long. The class of Mel Thomas, Charde Houston, and Ketia Swanier went to one Final Four and did not win the NC. IMO, the 2008 team on which the aforementioned were seniors, was one of the better UConn teams; Even with the two devastating injuries, that team was loaded.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction, VA. I forgot about them. :confused:

Reaction Score
To say they own us after winning one game by a point, another by 2, and a third in triple overtime is absurd. We own the series.
As far as them owning us... they beat us... but do not own. We owned Duke the last couple of years...

Reaction Score
I love how all of a sudden the NDvsUCONN match up only started counting 2 years ago. Our record against them in like 18-11. Yea they've beaten us the past couple of years but by no certain means they've owned us in the match up in the Big East Conference

Reaction Score
Was not able to watch game and just logged on to get score. Don't know anything about the game and what happened but seeing the final score confirms my opinion that this year Notre Dame owns UConn. Please commence all the opinions and analysis of this game but the bottom line ins ND onws UConn this year. Can't wait to hear all our experts pontificate. Let her rip.

Gimme a break! ND is 1-7 in BE championships games against UCONN and UCONN still leads the overall series by ALOT.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Yeah, and if we had Ellena Delle Donne, and Kelsey Bone we would have won. Let's get over it. Hey remember that old saying............................."We have Dianna", and they don't.
The shoe is on the other foot now. Time to recruit some hard nosed kids to replace the seniors, because what I see right now, I am not that optimistic. But then again, this new conference will not be the Big East.

I wasn't saying if they were on our team, you missed the point of my post. We don't have hard nosed, cold-blooded kids like them. That was my point

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Other posters are free to look at the overall series record, dating back to whenever. By that logic, I'm sure Amos Alonzo Stagg and the Univ of Chicago probably still 'own' quite a few football programs around the country.

ND owns us today. Right now.

However, like Geno has said, the year Maya was a senior ND didn't get the memo that they were supposed to keep losing and they beat us when it mattered most in the FF. We could do the same - our team leaders will have to step up and show they have what it takes at crunch time. Simple as that.

[P.S. - I heard Kornheiser airing his opinion yesterday or the day before, prior to last night's game. So, IMHO, he's even more correct today.]

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Has Notre Dame beaten UConn three times this year? Yes. Does it mean the Fighting Irish "own" the Huskies? No it doesn't and here is why: every game has gone to the wire. With one-minute left in every game, the outcome was still up in the air. This doesn't happen if you "own" a team. To win and win a lot it takes talent, but also a little bit of luck, which unfortunately for UConn fans, ND had in spades.

I think the fact that every game has been so close is a testament to how close the teams are. I think the reason Notre Dame has been able to pull it out is because they have a great one-two combo in Diggins and McBride. You know where the ball is going when it matters the most. Defense is swarming Diggins? No problem, just shoot the ball over to McBride and vice versa. Of course, it wasn't just them - the entire team stepped up as well.

With UConn, as talented as it is, there is really no go-to player. You would think it would be Mosquada-Lewis, but who is the back-up? What happens if she is tightly covered or can't get free from a screen? I think that's the problem. Also, I didn't see Mosquada-Lewis demand the ball, which is so unusual because she converts at such a high percentage. Maybe that's the killer instinct everyone is talking about that UConn lacks. I don't know. I actually don't buy that this team doesn't have a killer instinct. Geno recruits winners - plain and simple. Are you telling me that these players had no killer instinct when they were leading their high schools to state championships or putting the US on the gold podium? I don't buy it.

But what I've seen in the past three games is not one team owning another - just another team executing just a tiny bit better than the other one.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Saki... 3 straight losses isnt easy to swallow when it comes to UConn and its fans.

When you have top recruits year after year you atleast expect some back and forth between schools.

UConn should have won the 1st game and last night's game IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc