ND at Purdue now live on B10 network. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND at Purdue now live on B10 network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two questions for those of you who are watching:

Is Mallory defending Rayburn (for the most part)? (Mallory is ND's best defender)
Has Notre Dame played Peters and Achonwa together for many minutes in the game? (The UConn/ND matchups will be fascinating as both teams start with 4 guards)

Thanks.

How is Mallory Notre Dame's best defender when Devereaux Peters is the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Year?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
How is Mallory Notre Dame's best deender when Devereaux Peters is the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Year?
Probably because Peters blocks many shots and Mallory does not. Same reason scoring is the biggest consideration ..... it's a statistic that's easy for the voters to look at, they don't even have to watch them play. But Peters also fouls a lot in big games as I recall, which puts her on the bench where she can't help her team. I don't think Mallory has that problem.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How is Mallory Notre Dame's best deender when Devereaux Peters is the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Year?

Can't answer that. I offered up my opinion and I value on-ball defenders more than help defenders. Actually, I think the award should have gone to Faris over both of them, but I'd pick Mallory over Peters.

Here's an article that discusses your question. As Muffet said, Mallory often guards the other team's best player regardless of position but of course she didn't say one deserved it over the other.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2011/3/8/2037388/2011-big-east-final-uconn-notre-dame

Reaction Score
Probably because Peters blocks many shots and Mallory does not. Same reason scoring is the biggest consideration ..... it's a statistic that's easy for the voters to look at, they don't even have to watch them play. But Peters also fouls a lot in big games as I recall, which puts her on the bench where she can't help her team. I don't think Mallory has that problem.

When you more or less match the other contenders for the award in volume of steals, surpass them in rebounding, and totally blow them away in number of blocks there is no other choice. As mentioned, Peters put up these stats in self imposed limited play. She played about 300 less minutes than Faris. I expect a different result this year. Peters isn't likely to put up the same number of blocks. She's being reeled in to try to prevent fouls and preserve playing time.

Reaction Score

The stats strongly support your assertion. Of 16 big games last year(UCLA, Kentucky, Baylor, Purdue, Gonzaga, UConn x 4, DePaul x 2, Utah, Temple, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas A & M) Ms Peters was hit with two fouls within the first 6 minutes of 5 of those games, 2 of which was against UConn.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Kelly got robbed last year, in my opinion. Hopefully the committee makes up for it this year. The way she is playing she deserves to be All Big East and BE Defensive Player of the Year.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford's guards were severely overmatched against UCONN. I am not sure that I saw the speed required to compete against UCONN, ND or Baylor and I didn't see anything that made me think it will improve by March. But who knows...could have just been one of those days.

speed isn't taught, you either are or aren't fast. You either are in track or you are not....

not all guards have to be fast, ball handling, passing, scoring 3s, and defense are important though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom