NCAAT- Who to root for? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAAT- Who to root for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Only rooting for PC so far. Other than that, this is mostly my list.

No Kentucky.
No UNC--unless they are playing Kentucky.
No Duke, unless they are playing UK or UNC.
No Louisville, unless they are playing UK, UNC, or Duke.
No Kansas, unless they are playing UK, UNC, Duke, or Louisville.

Otherwise, go SMU, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Arizona, Iowa State, Wichita State, or Villanova, in roughly that order. I'll pick up other teams as they get farther.
Pretty much the same list of no's. One other I'm torn about. VCU. Every time I see them I see freescooter. Last seasons NC and the dismal past two football seasons have given this forum some reprieve. But a VCU run could change things.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Pretty much the same list of no's. One other I'm torn about. VCU. Every time I see them I see freescooter. Last seasons NC and the dismal past two football seasons have given this forum some reprieve. But a VCU run could change things.

You know, its entirely possible for Kevin Ollie AND Shaka Smart to both be really good coaches.

Reaction Score
I still don't quite understand the animosity towards the Big East. That's not to say there are not legitimate reasons to dislike those schools, I just figured that in a climate where the discrepancy between the have and have not's is widening by the day, we would be more inclined to pull for the conference that poses the biggest threat to the P5.

Maybe I'm the only one but I always root for Northeast basketball to do well. The higher the quality of play in the region, the better the rivalries, tradition, fan support, etc. The P5 is essentially attempting to destroy college basketball in the northeast yet half the time it seems like people on this board are rooting for it to happen.

That being said, I'm mostly just rooting against P5 schools. Some of the more tolerable contenders include Virginia, Arizona, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Iowa State, but I'd still rather a non-P5 win it.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I enjoying watching good basketball... with that said wisconsin and nova I like... Throw in some MSU even though I think their depth is an issue, trice and valentine got a smooth j.... Get duke & kentucky out early and its a good tournament

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
1) SMU - keep the money in the family
2) Cincy - see above
3) Gonzaga - show a non P5 can win it again
4) any other non P5 team not in the Big East from the old Big East
5) Wisconsin - Other than the Stone impact which is already water under the bridge the most palatable of the P5
6) Virginia - Second to Wiscy for who I could be OK with winning
7) A Big East Team from the old Big East
8) any other team than Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas or Arizona, Louisville - no need for the blue bloods to distance themselves and no reason for Arizona or Louisvile to enter the blue blood conversation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Kentucky and Duke because they are upstanding moral programs and I have complete respect for each of them, especially as a UConn fan

Reaction Score
I can tolerate an SMU run (especially a blowout of UCLA) but I can't stomach seeing Nic Moore lift a NC trophy. Once the 12-16 seeds are eliminated, I think Michigan State might have a shot if they upset UVA. I could also pull for ISU if they get past Gonzaga & Duke. Of the top seeds, I guess Wisconsin is the least odious.

Above all though, Anyone But Kentucky. Duke is a close second but I'd prefer them over a 40-0 season.
Don't think u have to worry about SMU winning it all. They wouldn't be in my top 40 of who has an actual chance.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You know, its entirely possible for Kevin Ollie AND Shaka Smart to both be really good coaches.

But Shaka beat Ollie for two recruits...you know what that means...

Reaction Score
Only rooting for PC so far. Other than that, this is mostly my list.

No Kentucky.
No UNC--unless they are playing Kentucky.
No Duke, unless they are playing UK or UNC.
No Louisville, unless they are playing UK, UNC, or Duke.
No Kansas, unless they are playing UK, UNC, Duke, or Louisville.

Otherwise, go SMU, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Arizona, Iowa State, Wichita State, or Villanova, in roughly that order. I'll pick up other teams as they get farther.
PC?? How could you root for our bitter rival?? Oh wait, only THEY think it's a rivalry....

Reaction Score
Don't care who wins but I was happy to see notre dame in Kentucky 's
bracket because I always felt like they are a team that can take them out. I hate them but I do have them as a sleeper team.

Reaction Score
Don't care who wins but I was happy to see notre dame in Kentucky 's
bracket because I always felt like they are a team that can take them out. I hate them but I do have them as a sleeper team.

that's one of those special situations where you want to see both teams lose and then a meteor strike takes out the combined fanbases in the building.

1275681680230.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i'm surprised by the number of posters who will subject themselves to college hoops without uconn involved. I dont plan on watching another college game until the first game next season. So to the OP, 'nobody'.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
i'm surprised by the number of posters who will subject themselves to college hoops without uconn involved. I dont plan on watching another college game until the first game next season. So to the OP, 'nobody'.

Some of us actually enjoy college basketball in general -- we're not "subjecting" ourselves to anything.

To be able to accurately analyze and comment on the program we all root for, you need to know the overall landscape of the sport. UCONN doesn't exist in a vacuum. We play other schools on the court, we're in a conference with other schools, and we compete against other school for recruits and trophies. Only paying attention to UCONN and turning a blind eye to the rest of the game leads to ignorance, and will result in very little that you say being taken seriously here.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I can tolerate an SMU run (especially a blowout of UCLA) but I can't stomach seeing Nic Moore lift a NC trophy. Once the 12-16 seeds are eliminated, I think Michigan State might have a shot if they upset UVA. I could also pull for ISU if they get past Gonzaga & Duke. Of the top seeds, I guess Wisconsin is the least odious.

Above all though, Anyone But Kentucky. Duke is a close second but I'd prefer them over a 40-0 season.

I couldn't even stomach watching Nic Moore lift a Cracker Jack prize.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The dig was on free not on either of the coaches.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
SMU. Because then despite the selection committee ripping the conference in the rankings, we'd have NCAA champions. That'd be a big YOU to the selection committee and P5 conferences.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
This is the first time I didn't watch the selection show since 2012-13 and the second time since 2009-2010 (there is a pattern here).

Moreover, I really haven't taken the time to look at the bracket much at all and probably don't plan to.

Although I put myself in the camp of mainly just watching Uconn games, the Tournament is still pretty exciting.

So, the question now is who do I root for?

There are some teams who I absolutely will root against (UK, UNC, Duke and others), but since I told myself I need to be more positive this year, I think I will try to root for some teams.

Obviously a cinderella would be optimal, but I'm choosing teams that I think have a decent chance to win it all. Here is my list of five teams, in order:

1. Virginia - I have nothing remotely negative to say about their team or program
2. Gonzaga - Similar to UVA, I wouldn't mind seeing Gonzaga get over the hump
3. Wisconsin- I've sorta gotten used to the thought that Diamond Stone might not come to Uconn anyway.
4. ISU- I like their coach
5. Wow- I honestly cannot find a fifth team.
I'm not as much if an ISU fan, but 1-3 I would love to see win. I would also take ND and my too other schools, Texas and SDSU.
In terms of beating Kensucky or Dook, anyone else would do...except I wouldn't want UNC to win either ....can't stand cheaters that get away with it!
SMU....not likely to get into the second weekend but sure.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
As long as it's not a power5 team, I'd be happy

Reaction Score
Have to root for our AAC mates. Would like to see Nova or Va win it. Wouldn't mind Wisconsin, Zona or the Zags either. My fear is it comes down to Kentucky and Duke making me a Duke fan. Whaaaat!

Reaction Score
This is the first time I didn't watch the selection show since 2012-13 and the second time since 2009-2010 (there is a pattern here).

Moreover, I really haven't taken the time to look at the bracket much at all and probably don't plan to.

Although I put myself in the camp of mainly just watching Uconn games, the Tournament is still pretty exciting.

So, the question now is who do I root for?

There are some teams who I absolutely will root against (UK, UNC, Duke and others), but since I told myself I need to be more positive this year, I think I will try to root for some teams.

Obviously a cinderella would be optimal, but I'm choosing teams that I think have a decent chance to win it all. Here is my list of five teams, in order:

1. Virginia - I have nothing remotely negative to say about their team or program
2. Gonzaga - Similar to UVA, I wouldn't mind seeing Gonzaga get over the hump
3. Wisconsin- I've sorta gotten used to the thought that Diamond Stone might not come to Uconn anyway.
4. ISU- I like their coach
5. Wow- I honestly cannot find a fifth team.
You obviously didnt go to MSG last year for the Sweet 16/Elite 8. Those "Whoos" are the chaunciest group of people you will ever meet. There was an extreme sense of entitlement with them as well.

Reaction Score
You obviously didnt go to MSG last year for the Sweet 16/Elite 8. Those "Whoos" are the chaunciest group of people you will ever meet. There was an extreme sense of entitlement with them as well.
As far as noise at the sweet 16, I'd rank it"
1. Virginia
2. UConn
3. MSU
4. ISU

And the group of 3 Virginia fans that got tickets in the UConn section were grade-A asshats. I was happy MSU won.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only thing I liked about the VA fans was the viral story of the alum who sneaked on to the court by dressing like an assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom